Home Technical Talk

Efficient modelling technique; preferences, benefit and drawbacks.

Hello.
This thread might not last long since the question might be a noob question so i'll be ellaborate anyway.

2.5D sculpt tools vs Analog modelling tools.

Zbrush, Mudbox, 3dcoat. Maya, Max, Blender.

I see how Zbrush and most 2.5D modelling softwares are more intuitive,
but is there downside to them? UI looks insane but that's not my point.

I look forward to be a game animator. Much less of feature animation...
Maybe machinima sorts. I want to be a generalist that can do many things from modelling, rigging to animation. Hello, if you have similar interest.

I read in one of the threads how modelling for games doesn't always follow
anatomy, some are segmented equally to make rigging and skinning easier.
Is this something that matters when it comes to choosing your modelling workflow? Does zbrush, which seemingly allows you to work in details
and make precise anatomy, are automated to create better segmentation for
game rigging?

OR should i stick with Maya since it is more analog, and i have spent more time with it... which doesn't say much if the efficiency gap is huge.
Then again, Is maya still preferred in 3d modelling by any chance?

My preference of design language are more towards Final Fantasy series at the moment... I want to have my own Crystal Engine if possible.
Not sure why i am adding this..i might need to ask a bit more about normal mapping in maya vs zbrush too.

Replies

• LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    I think he means poly modeling vs zbrush and retop.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Generally speaking, a poly modeler (Maya, Max, etc) is going to be more efficient at hard surface stuff and a sculpting program will be more efficient at organic stuff. That being said, there are plenty of exceptions, and there's no reason not to use whatever method seems easier to get the particular shape you need at the moment.
  • Zh4ngZ13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    I don't mean to be glib, disrespectful or try to make a joke, but I read your entire post and couldn't understand any of it.

I suggest that if you have a question, ask that one question in a clear and concise way and leave all the rambling train-of-thought stuff out of it.

Hey Perna, ... i am glad you call me out on it since i am pretty new here. I don't hang out much here too due to some reason... so if there is polycount ethics 101, i want to learn about it. Sorry for the unclear question.

But as Lroy and Meloncov said, yes it's retopo vs poly modeller.

I have faith with poly modeller since it is my tool of choice in animation and skinning, technically precise and i like to keep everything in a single workflow... But very slow at times and counter intuitive.
    I read about retopo and it seems to be my answer...is there any drawback to this tool when transferring for game animation?

Sorry again if i am super aggresive on my questions.
    I want to have more answers than just "whichever you like" and i hope to hear more opinions from you professionals.
  • Zh4ngZ13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i might find my answer already... but
    Please correct me if i am wrong however.

So basically if you work on Zbrush, it means getting the image looks right first, and then tackling to technical hurdles after... correct?
    Since retopo means you will need to tweak your model to suit the skinning and rigging process after, hence the process begins more intuitive but progressively gets harder.

Since you said, remodifying, means adjustments will be made again... which is basically like tying down a rough sketch with a line art right?

P.S.I might start another thread for learning progress i think, i hope you can tune in.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    So basically if you work on Zbrush, it means getting the image looks right first, and then tackling to technical hurdles after... correct? Since retopo means you will need to tweak your model to suit the skinning and rigging process after, hence the process begins more intuitive but progressively gets harder.

Yup. Zbrush is designed to allow you to sculpt and paint a model even without having the final mesh's topology and UVs locked down.
    I wouldn't say the process becomes progressively harder either. When retopologizing you only have to focus on the edgeflow you want, instead of trying to build out the model's form at the same time.
  • Zh4ngZ13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey cryrid, thanks for the answer I went to do some homework on the net, and i think i might have find the right question to ask.

Thanks everyone for keeping up with me!
    Basically, fanboy alert, this is my reference
    http://youtu.be/4GC7n50tgyk?t=7m56s
    Those short segments.

If i am not mistaken, basically they lock down the polygon they need, and add details later. Since cryrid says that using Zbrush is not progressively harder,
    where should i start learning topology, edgeflow, for polymodeling and sculpting?

I hope someone can enlighten me, i need more comparison