Home Dota 2

Shadow Shaman Vision Ward.

Hi, I've just cracked out my first (albeit small) concept for a Shadow Shaman themed ward.

I don't have any background in the 3D side of stuff, so i'm looking for someone to collaborate with me in possibly creating one of my idea's.

Please feel free to be as critical as you like with my concept and drawing skills, as i would love to improve on any aspect i can.
Any feedback on the wards would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: changed the main image to a later rendition.
pB6Zcrz.png

My most recent try at modelling it.
7rHHn.png
Ta

Replies

• ShorkGamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    Dont use so many stripes they will read badly.
  • calcifaids
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So less bandages?
    or was that a comment on my colouring?
    :D
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    just less bandages themselves. Like, only 3 or 4 bandages themselves for example. Make them much thicker. The texture resolution dictates the level of detail we can put into the game so fewer/larger details means we can make them look nicer or just more detailed and clear. Your current design would basically not be doable with the current size of bandages. Also, apply more rythm to the bandages, right now they go everywhere. Try to have them follow the subtle lines of a cobra's shape.
    The more clear your design, the better to collab you'll get. It means the modeler doesn't have to invent the details themselves and just focus on quality visuals.

That being said, I like the idea a lot, but simplify that design so it can be more iconic from far away
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with dan,
    I even think the wraps should be complete coverage. The alpha adds noise. A nice wrap will look like a mummy and will be nice and solid/clean and read good in game.

It's a cool ward idea. I think maybe the eye should be out in front more, with the cobra hood you miss the eye from a lot of angles. right between his fangs maybe.
  • calcifaids
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brilliant, that's amazing help guys, working on it right now :D

Really appreciate the feedback, it's a tonne of help.
  • calcifaids
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did some further work on the second concept.
    Probably still needs work, but i feel that it's a lot better.
    Eei847Y.png
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    much better! though I quite like the extra gaps your first one had. It will cost more triangles possibly for the person making it but those gaps were my favorite part, showing their just floating in space
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    :D

I actually think the new one is great. And the fact that you left some gaps in is good too. You could possibly do one large gap that covers quite a bit of space. That'll show the hollowness but still read good.

If you are having a hard time with the jawline, maybe tilt the head back looking up a bit. Then the eye would almost be on top and would be even easier to see. I know cobras have a dead on stare but I think you have wiggle room there :D
  • calcifaids
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3rd iteration.
    Tried to add a little spacing in the bandages.
    Readjusted the side head position.
    included sentry colours (not that they really matter to the concept design)
    Added another possible base effect to help differentiate the ward type.

pB6Zcrz.png

Edit: redid the textures on the cloth
  • calcifaids
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping in the hopes of attracting some attention to get someone to collab.
  • calcifaids
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I haven't had any interest with collaborations yet, so I've been trying to model it myself over the past few days.

This is the first time I've touched a 3D modelling software, so it's far from great as of yet, but i'm getting there I feel.

r18FWQG.jpg

Still need to finish tweaking lots of parts, sorting out the body to be better (as this was the first thing i started on) and reducing the triangle count, and then it's on too the texturing and animation (which i also have no experience in -_-)
  • calcifaids
  • Channfree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am an animator if your interested, codyhann.tumblr.com I would like to know what your plans are for animation, like is only the eye moving or what?

I guess you can contact me either on this post or http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198033375032

Best option would probably be my email channfree@gmail.com