Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge March 2014 (17)

Replies

• robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robochrish polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys,
    Just another quick update. I have started working on the texture for the walls of the river.
    I was originally going to use a generic concrete and vertex paint the moss on, but this didn't look very good at all, so now I am creating a horizontal tiling texture to use instead.
    Here is a before and after style shot:
    dpZVZHX.jpg
    And here is the texture so far:
    oB9czYM.jpg

As you can see it's not done yet, but I am done for tonight so hopefully I can carry on with this tomorrow.
    I am thinking that I should use a smoother, less "small detail" concrete.
    What do you guys think?
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Hey everybody, I was finally able to get some work in today. Been busy with family and work, but things are clearing up so hopefully I can finish by the end of the month. I started moving assets over to UDK. I did a little bit of texturing. The lighting artifacts are caused by the other buildings not having lightmap UV sets.

Keep in mind that I'm sort of twisting this concept for a mirror's edge type of environment. I'll probably get a few more things done today, so I'll have another update tomorrow.

G588x1r.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    robochrish wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Just another quick update. I have started working on the texture for the walls of the river.
    I was originally going to use a generic concrete and vertex paint the moss on, but this didn't look very good at all, so now I am creating a horizontal tiling texture to use instead.
    Here is a before and after style shot:
    dpZVZHX.jpg
    And here is the texture so far:
    oB9czYM.jpg

As you can see it's not done yet, but I am done for tonight so hopefully I can carry on with this tomorrow.
    I am thinking that I should use a smoother, less "small detail" concrete.
    What do you guys think?
    I think the biggest issue is your texture having so much small noise.
    Also I would consider making your mold and dirt decals so you can re-use that texture more, and then break up the tiling with vertex painting and decals. I would also try and work on your cracks, try generating your texture from a high poly source and the edge detail as well:) or at least use ndo
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    First monthly challenge go!

So, I'm joining kind of late, but I'm going to challenge(ahem) myself to try to get this done by the end of the month. I'm going to cheat a little bit, and concentrate on making it nice and pretty from this angle, so it's kind of like making a set vs. a full blown environment. But hey, there are only 11 days left in the month. :)

Stage 1: rough blockout.
    13300217623_4dfef2798f_o.png
  • robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex thank you. I did think about using decals, but they wouldn't work too well on the bends.
    Yeah I agree that there is too much small detail on the texture, and I am also going to fix the joins.
    It isn't finished yet, but I'm glad to see that your thinking the same things as me ^_^
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robochrish wrote: »
    @Alex thank you. I did think about using decals, but they wouldn't work too well on the bends.
    Yeah I agree that there is too much small detail on the texture, and I am also going to fix the joins.
    It isn't finished yet, but I'm glad to see that your thinking the same things as me ^_^

Why wouldn't they work well on the bends?
  • robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well because they would be flat. In order for them to go around bends, they would need to be fairly thin so that the ends don't stick out. This would look too repetitious wouldn't it?
  • Frezno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frezno polycounter lvl 9
    I think Alex is suggesting you use the decal projectors in UDK rather than building out mesh plane decals that you place on top of the geo.
  • robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see, sorry. I've never used decal projections before, just planes with alpha
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I made a little more progress. Still moving blockout assets over to the UDK, but I got a little bored so I made the cloth-like tarp. I need to make a few adjustments on it, but so far I'm liking it.

u9tYHor.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Another little Update. Got the blockout done. There are some minor scale issues I'm noticing from the transition that I need to fix, but other than that I'm on to creating some more assets. Might work on the river first. I love making flow maps and seeing the effects in editor. :)

IqMnvum.jpg
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Added the fences, scaffolds, and other steel bar stuff.

I think the blockout has solid proportions and matches the concept pretty well, so I'll start now going in and doing the fun work. Yee-haw!

13343578244_5eb3626795_o.png
  • Ben_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d8VmODF.jpg

Hi, this is my first attempt at the noobie challenge. Due to deadlines for other work, I've only recently been able to start so I'm going to get as much done in the time left that I can.

Today was a case of getting the scene set up and reminding myself how to use UDK. I should hopefully work a little faster now and quickly replace the place-holders.
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Looking good commador. I don't have any crits yet.

Here's a quick update. I worked up a water shader. After some serious issues making water, I just decided to use hourences outdoor water as a base from something I can work on. Been having one hell of a time trying to make some decent water... but I think this looks alright for now.

UMmQbp.gif
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the mood. After evaluating the reference closer there are some changes I need to make. Also playing around more with "wet" decals on the concrete. I think some tweaks will make it pretty effective.

13371871823_63f5232342_o.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Time to have fun with UE4 :D

buSocp3.png
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Love UE4 myself :) Unfortunately it came a little late for this challenge for me. So @ZacD your blockout is looking solid and it's obviously very early on, but I just wanted to point this out. Your concrete texture is really noisy and it's a bit hard to look at. Food for thought.

I'll have an update shortly :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Alex, will be there a thread with concept's for next month ? (sr for pro eng)
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    ^i'm curious too... the month is almost over and i've been wondering if we'll get to vote for next months :O
  • JasperHope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately I won't be continuing on this challenge as I've been busy! I just signed up for UE4 and I'm excited to get started on the next challenge so I will be waiting for that to start.

Great work so far guys, things are shaping up nicely.
  • mache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mache polycounter lvl 7
    So, I started out in UDK, but as probably everyone knows, UE4 got released. So I decided to learn it and implement all assets to the new engine. So here is my progress so far, what's left to do is the satellite receiver, and the warning stripe thingy to the left + shader tweaking. But I decided to post before completion, in hope of critique. Keep up the good work everyone!
    1266wb8.png
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    mache: Its looking good, but I would fix up the foliage a bit material wise. right now its looking plasticky and flat. add some layers of color to those leaves, different hues of greens, get all fancy.
  • robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mache That is insanely good! I really like how you have captured the anime-esque feel of the textures.
  • Xanados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xanados polycounter lvl 5
    I've never done any challenges or competitions before so I figured I'd give this a try. Here's my progress renders so far:
    T7uGQlU.jpg
    zNTwlCt.jpg
    StASkH3.jpg
    XZ6RW1y.jpg
    Not done by a long shot but I think it's coming along :)
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Nice work guys!

Also, is there going to be a thread for voting for next chalange too? Would love to try it...
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mache wrote:
    So, I started out in UDK, but as probably everyone knows, UE4 got released. So I decided to learn it and implement all assets to the new engine. So here is my progress so far, what's left to do is the satellite receiver, and the warning stripe thingy to the left + shader tweaking. But I decided to post before completion, in hope of critique. Keep up the good work everyone!

Awesome work! When I first looked at this I thought you just reposted the original reference. You've got this one down to a T. :)

Updated with more progress. Just need to add the leaves to the tree, and cleanup a few minor things.
    13523269924_3ea108f609_o.png
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Alex can we get new concept art thread for next month ?
  • mache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mache polycounter lvl 7
    @commador, very nice looking tarpaulin, as for the water, perhaps tone down the wave intensity, otherwise nice water aswell :)

@luge, I did add some subtle hue, and color variation in this new update. But the extreme greens was somewhat intentional, as I wanted to resemble the concept as close as possible, but still not go too realistic. I tried desaturating and adding more variation in the leaves, but it became dull and boring, instead of adding life to the scene.

Thank you, robochrish and commador.
    I'm not very happy with my water shader as it is 100% opaque. But at the moment UE4 does not support reflection spheres/cubes with translucent materials.

Anyhow, here's my final update for this month's challenge:
    2hzqp9j.png
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    mache, that came out great.

I'd like to participate in the next month, this month I was just simply to busy with other things to take part of the challenge.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Nice work mache! You said you were working with ueg4 right? If so, could i ask for a tip on those trees? I heard new unreal doesn't support custom lighting (like that 3dmotive tutorial teaches), so i was wondering how did you approach it. Tnx!
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need more practice with foliage. I fixed up a few things. Overall I'm happy with where it turned out, but I think it could be improved given more time. On to the next!

13542872285_08da052abb_o.png
  • mache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mache polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you guys!, I too used 3dmotive's shader when making foliage in UDK. But as you say, UE4 doesn't support custom lighting. So I had to invent my own, it's a really simple shader, hopefully you'll understand the network.
    fu5nxl.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dammmmnnn I'm liking some of these!
  • step_wolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello everybody, this is my first post to activate my account.
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    I'm ready for next month! Yeah! Nice work guys!
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Oh dude, that's awesome, tnx a lot of sharing that material!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a paintoverish thing, I think it's coming along but there is a lot more you could do to make it better:) 7RamX.jpg
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Nice work people.

Where's the concept thread?...
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More contrast, increased the directional light brightness, and bumped the saturation for the tree.
    13548017814_961412b1a1_o.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking better but I would try and minize that diagonal shadow on the tree, makes it feel flat, I like how this one has shadows from the tree on the rest of the scene and feels like it has more volume, it looks like you bumped up the spec on the tarp, I really like that. I would consider adding some fresnel to your fence to make it stand out more as well, and adding more foliage overall. The tree could be more sparce by a tad:)
    2hzqp9j.png
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • step_wolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello , i will hope to post some work of this month.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    HM, just checking, we are not skipping this month?
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I'm wondering as well.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Well Alex has been posting in this thread a fair bit over the past few days. Doesn't look like it's on.

Hasn't even been a concept thread yet..
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, would be great to drop us a message here about it, just so we know....
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Yeah, that's why I'm a bit confused. Nothings been said.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I'm confused as well. I'm also wondering if maybe its because UE4 was just released to the public. but I think a full challenge would be good for learning UE4. from start to end :D
  • mache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mache polycounter lvl 7
    Looking better but I would try and minize that diagonal shadow on the tree, makes it feel flat, I like how this one has shadows from the tree on the rest of the scene and feels like it has more volume, it looks like you bumped up the spec on the tarp, I really like that. I would consider adding some fresnel to your fence to make it stand out more as well, and adding more foliage overall. The tree could be more sparce by a tad:)

Thank you for the critique, I put the concept aside and added some more foliage, fixed some more interesting lighting, and added some backdrop plus forground point of interests. In question of the tree, I have had the trouble, when trying to make it more sparse. That the more leaf cards I remove, the few left catch light in a very planar way. Which makes easier to distinguish every single leaf card.
    I guess this problem occurs because my leaf textures are too dense, and my leaf cards are too big. So the way to fix this would to rebuild the canopy of the tree, and creating more sparse textures, with smaller leaves.

With that being said, here's my update:
    fay55k.png