Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique on my portfolio layout / content?

pikamau5
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
pikamau5 polycounter lvl 6
I changed the layout and content of my portfolio recently, and would love some feedback on it.

Most importantly, does it look confusing? are all the items easy to find etc.

http://binarycatgames.fi/laura_koekoek/

Replies

• Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not confusing at all and easy to navigate. I didn't encounter any issues.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Website looks good. Nice fonts and layout. I wouldn't include anything you made by following a tutorial like the briefcase and handpainted stuff though.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    layoyt:

Pros: it's a tidy layout

Cons: I would add some scene break downs..call out your props..show some wireframes.

Having to click 3 times to get to the high-rez is a bit of a chore.

In the prop section, take the best stuff to the top of the list...The floor texture is good, but the c4 and sword and shield are much better.

Content.

props
    C4, Sword and shield, floor texture are great, but the building looks unfinished and flat. materials need to be defined more. Metal should be distinct from stone ( the sillhouettes in the windows are a nice touch). The sides of the building add to the "unfinished" look. I would say dress it with something interesting or just remove it completely.

Floating village.

Nice atmosphere. The scale of the clouds seems to be making the water look really noisy. I would bring the boat closer to the forefront to show it off. Really honing in your materials would make this pop...lacquered wood, from the pier wood.
    I would also add more story elements to this through props. Shoes and staff and bed roll, sitting outside a door. Sacks of grain sitting by the boat waiting to be loaded. How would a stranger know a shop from a house..a banner maybe?

Shining Bar

Definitely a cool theme. Again, material definition. Everything is very flat. In the concept you can call out the glass, metal....etc.. Another thing to notice about the concept, is that nothing quite lines up flush with anything else. All the bits(floor, wall, planks) are crooked, or not quite plumb with the other elements, giving it tons of character. Also table stains, floor crack...etc

Hallway:

This is great. The props added to the story,and it got me interested in the scene. The proportion of the door and the door frame make it feel a bit stunted, squashed. The bump on the leaves and the floor looks overdone. Maybe use opacity map to mix the shape of the leaves up a bit- to get rid of that cloned feeling...maybe add something to hallway .

I think your work has some great potential, keep pushing it. good luck!
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Currently it only takes up half of the width of a 1080p screen. You could make your previews a lot larger (reducing the need for the extra click to see the hi-res) if you used all of the screen.
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    I would say that you should spend some more time polishing your environments, do some breakdowns of the assets in the environments and provide some more complex assets. The lighting is very flat in all of your 3D scenes and there aren't enough angles shown. Great website layout though, very clean and easy to navigate! Hope I helped :)
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I would say never put anything you made from a tutorial in your portfolio because it shows your potential employer I did this with a tutorial and that it was not under skills you would have normally
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Your assets look promising so far and show that the needed competence is basically there, but you need more and mainly newer things. The new stuff is always your best stuff, and you need that now. Get some quality realistic assets going in the fashion of the tutorial briefcase, maybe a new hand painted thing, clean up the worst old stuff and you're good to go. But you gotta bring out more.
    The stuff you used to learn is not the stuff you want to present at best.

The environments are dragging you down, try avoiding falling in that subtracted reality style. If its wanted or not, it looks like you tried but didn't reach "realism"
    The props and textures category has a nice variety and quality level, if you had more of everything in that fashion, that'd be top. Just try doing 80% real-life style stuff.

Website looks fine, just avoid unneeded clicks. if you only have one image at a category, make it open in big size right away.

Also get a new email, that one is terrible. Its too long and you dont want to burn mark yourself as student. The headliner will look a lot better with a smaller one aswell.

Good luck!