Home Technical Talk

render to texture metal ray saving messed up file

Sims_doc
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
this is really just sub thread for another problem i'm having in relation to rendering... padding is 18, element is black, size is 512 and sampling is 128 samples per pixel is 1 instead of 1/4 all other settings are default.

scene is setup with a single skylight on the otherside of because without it a big black spot would form because default lights only work from point of view.

after render it saves the file and the file always looks like this, only a few times it hasn't and i haven't been able to replicate those results.
bK8KXwA.png
why is saving the .tga file like this?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    looks like an ordinairy Ao bake with edge padding? what would you expect?
  • Sims_doc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
    Neox wrote: »
    looks like an ordinairy Ao bake with edge padding? what would you expect?

well.. i don't know considering i don't do this stuff a lot so if you drop the attitude that would be swell.

but i've messed around with padding settings and set it to 0 and was able to replicate the results from an earlier bake.
    iPjaKfK.png

I don't know if this is a good result but i'm happy with it, now i need to lean texturing.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixel padding is there to help the mip-mapping process, it has no effect on your work except making your textures look better when they are sized down (mipped) when seen from further distances in games (or at lower texture quality settings). You can never have too much of it, so don't worry about what the maps look like in 2d (view it on your model to check for problems).
    Sims_doc wrote: »
    well.. i don't know considering i don't do this stuff a lot so if you drop the attitude that would be swell.

Now this is simply not cool. Neox took the time to try and help you out here and gave a very straight forward response. No need to be a douche to him, any attitude you see in his post is all in your head. You post a thread asking for help but failing to actually explain your problem, the obvious response is going to be to ask you what you expect to see.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Maybe i should have phrased it differently? I don't know, to me it was a simple question.
    Anyways as Earthquake mentioned the padding is there for a reason, so your bake in the first picture is what you should actually prefer.