Home General Discussion

Successful 3D artist without drawing skill?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    frell wrote: »
    I can draw but when I do 3d I don't feel like I'm drawing at all. The skills of being able to draw hardly transfer as much as people say, I don't run into the same issues as when I draw.

I think there's more than that, that carries over. Understanding of 3d space, anatomy, proportions, planning how you will approach a project in terms of blocking out/sketching, developing your artistic eye, etc.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    I think there's more than that, that carries over. Understanding of 3d space, anatomy, proportions, planning how you will approach a project in terms of blocking out/sketching, developing your artistic eye, etc.
    Well thats true but those can all be learned in 3d

I don't think drawing benefits in any single area other than speed. And if you aren't already competent with a pencil you might aswell stick to learning while using 3d.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I find that I can be quite good at drawing if i do a paint over etc on an already finished base, what I'm bad at is getting angles and perspective right, the first phase of drawing, which is probably why I give up very fast.

I guess a lot of skills pass on to drawing from 3D/Texturing, just in 3D i never have to care about perspective and forms, which is probably why I'm so bad at that part when drawing.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I guess a lot of skills pass on to drawing from 3D/Texturing, just in 3D i never have to care about perspective and forms, which is probably why I'm so bad at that part when drawing.
    Nowadays alot of concept artists block out in 3d using primitives and paint over to speed up their process. Or they use a real picture that already has the angle they want, really neat. No one ever cares how designers make their designs they just care if the idea is being communicated well enough
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    well I think if that works for the artist and it's faster, that's not a problem.
    want to try and paint something seriously using this method, but I always end up just creating everything in 3D.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    JordanN wrote: »
    Texture mapping becomes x1000 harder if you can't draw and textures are essential to any 3D model.
    If you're doing stylized/hand drawn art you mean?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    So then for a guy who wants to learn how to draw, what are the best resources. I spent some time looking but I would like to hear it from people who are already there. Do you start with technique or what is the best way/resources to go about it.

I really want to learn to draw. Really.

Really.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Since you're already a damn good sculptor, learning how to draw primitives in perspective fluently will get you a long way along the road. That and gesture drawing are (for me) the hardest part.

For a primarily freehand (ie. not loads of rulers and measuring) approach to perspective, I found Scott Robertson's courses very useful.
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/323/Basic-Perspective-Form-Drawing#.Uw3HjIWUmSo

There's also a book out recently covering and expanding on the same subject :
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Draw-Sketching-Environments-Imagination/dp/1781166862/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393412065&sr=8-1&keywords=scott+robertson+how+to+draw"]How to Draw: Drawing and Sketching Objects and Environments from Your Imagination: Amazon.co.uk: Thomas Bertling, Scott Robertson: Books[/ame]

There's also CTRL+Paint as an excellent, free resource for general drawing stuff.

http://ctrlpaint.com/
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yeah Ctrl paint is a great place to start, I think Loomis's book on life drawing is pretty good, as well as Civardi and Bridgman. I used to like Hogarth but saw his work as more exaggerated after some time. Also if you fancy classes, life drawing will help a lot.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Yep i can second Scott robertsons series on perspective. It's far more technical; than you will usually use, but it will give you a ridiculously good insight to how perspective works.

So yes perspective is the #1 skill.

Once you have that down, next would be motor skills, focus on getting nice lines.

For line art drawing those are the 2 fundamental skills, then for painting you have to jump into lighting theory (note not color theory, color theory is actually just a form of psychology, it has nothing to do with the real world).

everything else either works within those skill sets or is knowledge of particular objects. i.e., anatomy is just knowledge of the human figure.

Books i recommend:

Bridgman's complete guide to drawing from life - George B. Bridgman
    the human figure - John H. Vanderpoel
    Figure Drawing For All It's Worth - Andrew Loomis
    Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter - James Gurney
  • Tusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any good approach to learn anatomy with Zbrush?
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tusk, Zbrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy by Scott Spencer is amazing! It goes through thorough detail of the Head, Torso/Back, Arms, Legs, Hands, and Feet. It also comes with a CD that has hours of video tutorials. I highly recommend it. Don't be scared off by the size of the model on the front cover. It is modeled in a bulky hyper muscular style but the basic anatomy is top notch. I use this book in conjunction with Zbrush Studio Projects: Realistic Game Characters if I need to do a female model.
  • Tusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will check it. One more thing. How people achieve likeness in their zbrush models? What do i need to learn for that? I need i will need to know anatomy, but what else?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Tusk wrote: »
    Will check it. One more thing. How people achieve likeness in their zbrush models? What do i need to learn for that? I need i will need to know anatomy, but what else?

That's pretty much it, anatomy including facial features, need to get as much knowledge on that as you can :thumbup:
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    ysalex wrote: »
    but I am not the most amazing 3d artist either, so take that as you will.

PasOdKx.gif

To add on, no, you don't need to know how to draw. It does indeed help though. Try sketching some photos sometime. Increases your anatomical knowledge incredibly fast.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This is a bit of an odd question really.

Let's say that the majority says "no". Then what are you going to do - not even try to see if gaining solid drawing skills would help you ?

There is an assumption going on about things like artistic anatomy being possible to be learned just fine directly in 3D, especially since there is no perspective involved. Sure, perspective being taken care of automatically is a cool thing, but one shouldn't overlook speed and productivity.

Laying down a sketch takes no time, and I can guarantee you that you will learn more about the shape and forms of the human body by going to a local life drawing session and spit out 20 sketches in an hour, than from sitting in front of ZBrush sculpting from a Dynamesh base sphere :)

Life drawing will also teach you about the natural rhythm of the human body parts, the all important squash and stretch - something things that tend to be completely forgotten by 3D artists with no 2D experience, and it shows.

And then of course, if by 3D artist you mean "an artist who creates his/her own designs, in 3D" then it is pretty obvious that in order to design fast and efficiently, one needs 2D skills. Now of course there will always be artists improvising in 3D, kitbashing and making random aliens ... but I am still convinced that in the long run, 2D is a better design tool as it allows for faster iterations and edits.

At the end of the day,there's nothing to loose really ; gaining new art skills is always beneficial :)

And then there's also the very practical context of a job interview. If two 3D artists are being interviewed for a modeler's position, and both show similar 3D skills ... the job will likely go to the one with 2D skills too. Not only will this likely show in the 3D work anyways (better presentation, layout and textures), but it will also likely be beneficial on the job on a day to day basis. Win !
  • Tusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that i am afraid of drawing, is the thing from getting embarrassed. I see kids at 12 years old, drawing incredibly good. When did they have the time to train, when i see them all day outside, playing games?

Second thing is that i don't have any life drawing or art school here. And i am not confident from drawing real life. i feel stupid.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    One thing that i am afraid of drawing, is the thing from getting embarrassed. I see kids at 12 years old, drawing incredibly good. When did they have the time to train, when i see them all day outside, playing games?

Second thing is that i don't have any life drawing or art school here. And i am not confident from drawing real life. i feel stupid.

Don't draw then. In 2-3 years time your level of work will be exactly the same and you'll most likely regret not starting because you were too worried about feeling embarassed.

...or, you could start now despite that and get improving straight away. If you dedicate yourself to it then you'll see improvements in no time. You don't need to show your sketches to other people, just start doing basic objects and move onto environments or people when you get more confident.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It was mentioned above: don't show anyone your sketchbook, that removes all the pressure of embarrassment.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    My drawings aren't that great, but I've found that becoming a better 3d artist has been helping me with my drawing skills.. anyone the same?
  • Tusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can i get feedback from someone, if i don't show what i draw? To point me out what to fix and what to improve?

Any online drawing courses you can suggest me?
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    How can i get feedback from someone, if i don't show what i draw? To point me out what to fix and what to improve?

Critique can be nice, but you can improve so much on your own - especially in the early stages where you're still feeling embarrassed. Here is what I've done to improve since I first started getting serious about drawing/digital painting many years ago (there's no secret to it):

-Do first painting ever.

-Compare to much better paintings from other artists, and real life sources.

-Curse a lot.

-Study what makes the better paintings better, study real life, try again.

-Repeat with new works.

You will get better at all art you do. Just try not to stress and consider every failure a learning experience.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Everything that Prior said.

Also, being able to draw AND model is a level of freedom and control that is not comparable. You are the pipeline. You can create a character start to finish, from concept to model to textures. You can have complete creative control. It's empowering and liberating.

I say learn it anyway.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Makkon wrote: »
    .. being able to draw AND model is a level of freedom and control that is not comparable.

I wish I could level up and COMBINE the skills of concept artist Roberto Cirillo AND sculptor Jason Webb. :poly121:

Marcus-Killingsworth-Sasha-Tanner-The-Wraith.jpg

image-225162-full.jpg?1363374676
  • Tusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone can really give me from start ti finish what to learn for drawing and for what to continue? I am lost. I have no idea where to start, what to start from 0. Sorry for taking your time.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Check out this library of tutorials, pay attention to his drawing sections

http://ctrlpaint.com/library/

Also, this channel is EXCELLENT for learning to draw people and the figure.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV/videos
  • Tusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is good thing to start to learn drawing digitally? ON Photoshop?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    It is good thing to start to learn drawing digitally? ON Photoshop?

Do it on a canvas in your own faeces if you have to, just start!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jumping straight to digital is certainly not the best and most intuitive way. Paper is more accurate, more portable, and more fluid to use. Just buy a tiny sketchbook that fits in your pocket, a bunch of A4 sheets to do larger doodles and finished designs on, and a super cheap block of A3 sheets to bring to life drawing sessions. With that you'll be off to a good start !
  • Tusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was today to get some A4 paper box with around 1500 papers. And couple of sketchbooks.

I read about what beginner to draw and also will ask here. People say to draw anything that it is interest for you.

For me, i am interest of course about people/characters and creatures. Can i start to draw that? Learn anatomy with drawing on paper? I can't start to draw somethings that it is not interest for me and it is not fun at all, like some objects for example.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ok, so first off I wouldn't recommend buying a massive load of stuff for sketching, (just sketching pencils, paper and an eraser will do) since you need to figure out if you want take up drawing as a long term goal, otherwise you'll be stuck with loads of equipment e.g. drawing pens, markers, etc. that just collect dust.

You can start sketching people but it might be better to just get the basic fundamentals down, drawing shapes in perspective, building up a knowledge of that before moving onto people. Peter Han teaches a course on CGMA which goes into sketching fundamentals, the video doesn't even touch on humans or other studies, simply focuses on confidence in your linework and drawing shapes in 2d space. Its not the most exciting subject matter, but I'd still say its pretty important.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk"]Dynamic Sketching I With Peter Han - YouTube[/ame]

You can jump into drawing people but I think its easy to become frustrated and disheartened at the start, either way its upto you. Obviously check out CTRL paint as well, they're good resources. Good luck!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Random objects are awesome to draw from ! That's the best way to build a solid, personal visual library.
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    Im awful at physical drawing and am doing pretty well for myself.
    That being said, I now desperately wish that I would have devoted more of my time to drawing earlier on. 2D skills are nothing but beneficial, and they not only are a new skill set but the ability's learned often translate to 3D.
  • MagicSugar