Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Trading Card game Artwork

Hello everyone. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I am a graphic designer who is currently working on a brand new online TCG. This is my first major personal project with industry talents working alongside me to produce something unique for the mobile app market, console and web.

The game itself takes inspiration from classic RPGs like; final fantasy (Triple Triad), Kingdom Hearts and Zelda, puzzle games; Candy Crush, Bejeweled and Battlecamp, as well as community driven cooperative play (Multiplayer, Team based coop and a fully integrated Guild system). I'll be promoting more artwork and exclusive screenshots of this game in the forthcoming weeks on our website.

Artwork:

fr3Yj6G.jpg

ZHPlLh6.jpg

EDHBqt6.jpg

eminence_world_map_by_shoelesspeacock-d6yotoh.jpg

uQpHeIB.jpg

Z4Y8n6k.jpg

Hb5QPc9.jpg

4LbScg.png

NCfqVVh.png

8LQ3SlG.png

QKEFRrP.png

JGDmOt0.png

Looking forward to any feedback!

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looks sweet, I'll keep an eye on this
  • ducckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
    looks amazing!
    remembers me of a card game from a long time ago on the playstation 1 , sadly i cant find the title anymore :(
    il be watching this!
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz wrote: »
    looks amazing!
    remembers me of a card game from a long time ago on the playstation 1 , sadly i cant find the title anymore :(
    il be watching this!
    CarlK3D wrote: »
    Looks sweet, I'll keep an eye on this

Thank you both for your delightful comments. I appreciate the support!

Showcasing the Eminence branding.. Any feedback is welcome. :)
    1614588_294802570670840_546226896_o.png
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    Oh man i want all over this! :D

I've been playing a lot of card game recently so i am so looking forward to this! great style and solid looking idea.
  • Arkana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkana polycounter lvl 8
    This is reminding me of the artstyle of Final Fantasy Tactics, very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkana wrote: »
    This is reminding me of the artstyle of Final Fantasy Tactics, very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

I'm honoured! FFT certainly has some awe inspiring artwork. Thank you!
    Oh man i want all over this! :D

I've been playing a lot of card game recently so i am so looking forward to this! great style and solid looking idea.

Much appreciated. I'll continue to update this thread with more artwork as the weeks go by!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    looks amazing!
    il be watching this!
    Could you be thinking of Kartia: The Word of Fate?

Anyway, this art is great! I'd like to see some more.
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »
    Could you be thinking of Kartia: The Word of Fate?

Anyway, this art is great! I'd like to see some more.

Thank you NegevPro! - I remember Kartia: The word of fate, great game! Very underrated.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Fuuuuuuuuuuck these are looking RAD.

I'm not much for TCG's, but I'm totally diggin' what I'm seeing so far. I know you mentioned mobile, but do you have more specifics on all the platforms this will be releasing on?

Can't wait to see more!
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    superb, esspecially the world map ! GJ, keep it up and GL with the release :)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Very interesting style, good job on that!

Some small things to crit, for the 4 first images, the middle one with the crossed swords looks a whole bunch better than the others, because it uses value a lot better. The others are too busy and everything is too equal in strength.
    If you would change a couple of the lighter paths to a darker value, you had more contrast and focus.
    Also on the right one, the colors are a little problematic. Why bring in the sky blue and the purple just for tiny things ? Cutting one would make it better imo,
    and also if you bring in a new secondary hue, like that light blue, make sure it is countered by another thing with the same hue to bring the artwork back in balance.

You use a gradient on that dot on the right one, but gradients break your style I would say. It looks kinda unfitting on the "hidden" character cards aswell, you do that nowhere else. Im not saying dont use gradients at all, but those are very strong.

On the artwork, the red kilt of the character leads the focus to a wrong place in my opinion. Well actually it leads in a good way, but you are more or less drawn to his crotch area which is strange.
    Right now it is Logo>Legs>Sword>(Head)>Flag>Castle which is actually a very good way, but id try equalizing it somehow on the char so his head matters more. (Bright helmet reflection on a side?)

Also it looks like you were not sure with warm cold contrast. The background uses only cold, and the foreground uses warm, but only partially. The left of the character and foreground part is somehow cold and a lone stone on the left foreground is cold aswell. If you made it really part/part, the back and foreground would seperate a lot better. Especially the char should be warm as hes clearly in focus.
  • janeil24kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janeil24kid polycounter lvl 6
    looking great!!! :D
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp wrote: »
    Fuuuuuuuuuuck these are looking RAD.

I'm not much for TCG's, but I'm totally diggin' what I'm seeing so far. I know you mentioned mobile, but do you have more specifics on all the platforms this will be releasing on?

Can't wait to see more!
    Hi Klamp! We aim to hopefully have this game released on web browsers, android, iOS, Steam and POSSIBLY the console market depending on how well our crowdfunding goes. We will be releasing a demo trailer very soon which I will upload on here for you to get a feel of the game mechanics. Thank you for your support!
    Cremuss wrote: »
    superb, esspecially the world map ! GJ, keep it up and GL with the release :)
    Cremuss, your comments are truly appreciated - The world map design is something I cherished doing as I wanted to try something experimental, whilst staying true to the visual style.
    Shrike wrote: »
    Very interesting style, good job on that!

Some small things to crit, for the 4 first images, the middle one with the crossed swords looks a whole bunch better than the others, because it uses value a lot better. The others are too busy and everything is too equal in strength.
    If you would change a couple of the lighter paths to a darker value, you had more contrast and focus.
    Also on the right one, the colors are a little problematic. Why bring in the sky blue and the purple just for tiny things ? Cutting one would make it better imo,
    and also if you bring in a new secondary hue, like that light blue, make sure it is countered by another thing with the same hue to bring the artwork back in balance.

You use a gradient on that dot on the right one, but gradients break your style I would say. It looks kinda unfitting on the "hidden" character cards aswell, you do that nowhere else. Im not saying dont use gradients at all, but those are very strong.

On the artwork, the red kilt of the character leads the focus to a wrong place in my opinion. Well actually it leads in a good way, but you are more or less drawn to his crotch area which is strange.
    Right now it is Logo>Legs>Sword>(Head)>Flag>Castle which is actually a very good way, but id try equalizing it somehow on the char so his head matters more. (Bright helmet reflection on a side?)

Also it looks like you were not sure with warm cold contrast. The background uses only cold, and the foreground uses warm, but only partially. The left of the character and foreground part is somehow cold and a lone stone on the left foreground is cold aswell. If you made it really part/part, the back and foreground would seperate a lot better. Especially the char should be warm as hes clearly in focus.
    Hello Shrike, Thank you dearly for your constructive crit! One thing I would like to mention is that each division will hold their own unique colour palette. Not all of the division designs have been revealed yet so I can fully understand how the spot colours on the blue division stand out at the moment.

In regards to the the gradients, they will be more subtle once the cards are released. Very excited to show the overall aesthetics of the cards as I feel the contemporary lineart mixed with soft gradients add a new dimension to the overall stylistic elements of the game.

Furthermore i've taken on board your crit on the main concept art and will review the changes with my partner. Again I really appreciate the feedback thus far. Awesome stuff!
    looking great!!! :D
    Thank you! :)
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://playeminence.com/game/media/

Thought we'd give out some free wallpapers for anyone that wishes to sport the Eminence brand on their desktops! :)

v2-1400-x-900.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'm having legibility issues. Not with the logo so much as that is only one instance, but mostly with the faction icon things. The crossed swords and the dragon head are fairly recognizable (could be better, though the line aesthetic isn't making it easy) but all of the others are very noisy. Don't get me wrong. I see the facey things in the hollows and devastators, but you could swap them around and I wouldn't notice a thing.
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    I'm having legibility issues. Not with the logo so much as that is only one instance, but mostly with the faction icon things. The crossed swords and the dragon head are fairly recognizable (could be better, though the line aesthetic isn't making it easy) but all of the others are very noisy. Don't get me wrong. I see the facey things in the hollows and devastators, but you could swap them around and I wouldn't notice a thing.

Hi Snader! Thank you for the crit. The division icons that you thought were most recognizable are actually the starting divisions we'll be using for our initial release. We are still in the process of refining the others and designs are likely to change along the way, we will certainly take your feedback on board.

For those who are wondering, the following 4 starting divisions will be Aeterna, Ixion, Wilkurse and Hollows.
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The project will also feature an avatar system where you can fully customize the look of your character. More development art will be released once we have refined all the details. In the meantime we have developed some sliders to showcase some of the core features of Eminence.

zX4rHl.png

NmwadW.png

3yzajm.png
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Totally digging the style. Love it.
    I'm looking forward for more!
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce wrote: »
    Totally digging the style. Love it.
    I'm looking forward for more!

Thank you! That means the world to us. :thumbup:
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Ah creativity is not dead! These are so well designed. They remind me of stained glass murals. Awesome work. Not sure I love the chibi style characters/icons. The concept illustration looks more appealing.
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah creativity is not dead! These are so well designed. They remind me of stained glass murals. Awesome work. Not sure I love the chibi style characters/icons. The concept illustration looks more appealing.

Hi pixelpatron, thank you for your awesome comments! In regards to the character design - These are still being tweaked/refined and will be revealed once we are happy with the outcome. The multiplayer aspect will take place in an isometric - top down world, hence the choice for bite sized avatars.
  • ducckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
    oh man cant wait until i see what the harlequins look like :D
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    absolutely fantastic, really great work, beautiful designs and typography
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty good arts!
    They are looking quite delicate.
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man cant wait until i see what the harlequins look like :D

One of my personal favourites, an all female division driven to madness. That's all i'm giving away for now! =P
    Kel-Shaded wrote: »
    absolutely fantastic, really great work, beautiful designs and typography

Thank you very much for your compliments!
    Pretty good arts!
    They are looking quite delicate.

I am glad they tickle your tastebuds. :)
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Introducing Kronos - "The Fallen Hero" and our first playable card for Eminence: Xander's Tales. For more on his story visit:

http://buff.ly/1fXgVYI

eminence_card_reveal_by_shoelesspeacock-d789adz.jpg

Bio.png

Feedback and comments are always welcome! :)
  • ducckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
    amazing art! the story is really great also
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing art! the story is really great also

Thank you. :)
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kronos Reveal Trailer

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEnzn68E2s4"]Kronos - The Fallen Hero[/ame]
  • PixelSuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your art is great and I really love the animation on the card in your video! Can't wait to see more
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelSuit wrote: »
    Your art is great and I really love the animation on the card in your video! Can't wait to see more

Hi PixelSuit! Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. :thumbup:
  • Jammes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, Very Fantastic.

b1.png
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusive_by_reanimagic-d5gjis8.jpg

Illusive - The official Eminence typeface! Available for download soon. :)
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jammes wrote: »
    Awesome, Very Fantastic.

b1.png

May the Archaics of Artalys bless you sir! :)
  • RenegadeMaster
    I love the idead. The artwork so far looks nice.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    This look awesommmeee! Bookmarked hehe :)
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This look awesommmeee! Bookmarked hehe :)

Ah Jason, thank you. Much appreciated! :thumbup:
  • Mimiws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimiws polycounter lvl 6
    love the art direction! subscribe :)
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimiws wrote: »
    love the art direction! subscribe :)

Mimiws it is an honor to have you on board! :)

On a sidenote, we are excited to announce our next card for Thursday.. Roshan.

2mMhSYn.jpg
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aeterna promo cover... Thoughts / Feedback much appreciated!

a1db23b01a4e9a8012f53f5cb5023bca.jpg
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A new addition to the card list, Roshan - Legion of Purity. Feedbacks / Comments welcome!

roshan-1.png
  • EminenceLux
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roshan-new.png

Promo artwork for Roshan. Next card we're working on is Maximus, the brute of Aeterna. :poly127:
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhhOz8.jpg

More promo artwork, featuring one of our future divisions. Feedback / Comments always welcome!
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    21cd1575c87a2a0b9d32a7b8c0c1ce46.jpg

Aeterna division cards released thus far! Any feedback is greatly appreciated. We plan on releasing a new card next week!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Right now your values are all over the place. The immense shapes' variety, both in size & in detail make it hard to find a focal point. You gotta focus on the purpose of each design, whether informative or interactive.

For example, the cards should convey parameters and promote the cool art, so make everything else low-contrast. The bright decorative corners, the black bottom panel, make it share a closer value that simply says "frame". The best areas in the cards are the heads, where u added an overall glow that make the values in that area tighter and more readable. Try doing that for the entire character, that could pop-out well vs. the dark frame overlay.

The same principle applies in the rest of your designs: the map illustration has the borders of the land brightest, while the 'hotspots' get lost in the details. Line thickness can also play a role here.

The elaborate 'mayan' designs work well on the cards' back with the circular emblem in the middle. The emblem gives them breath and space, while he rest fades-out in low-key. That works. Without the center element and/or with the value & color variations you added, it becomes a overwhelming and cluttered. Fixing it depends on where else this design needs to go, but I'd recommend differentiating the bigger shapes through line width, value & color while fading all the rest. It might seem less, but in the larger picture it will play out as more.
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun wrote: »
    Right now your values are all over the place. The immense shapes' variety, both in size & in detail make it hard to find a focal point. You gotta focus on the purpose of each design, whether informative or interactive.

For example, the cards should convey parameters and promote the cool art, so make everything else low-contrast. The bright decorative corners, the black bottom panel, make it share a closer value that simply says "frame". The best areas in the cards are the heads, where u added an overall glow that make the values in that area tighter and more readable. Try doing that for the entire character, that could pop-out well vs. the dark frame overlay.

The same principle applies in the rest of your designs: the map illustration has the borders of the land brightest, while the 'hotspots' get lost in the details. Line thickness can also play a role here.

The elaborate 'mayan' designs work well on the cards' back with the circular emblem in the middle. The emblem gives them breath and space, while he rest fades-out in low-key. That works. Without the center element and/or with the value & color variations you added, it becomes a overwhelming and cluttered. Fixing it depends on where else this design needs to go, but I'd recommend differentiating the bigger shapes through line width, value & color while fading all the rest. It might seem less, but in the larger picture it will play out as more.

Hi Shotgun!

Thank you for your comments and such detailed feedback! We really appreciate that you have taken the time to help us improve the art of the game, especially since we believe it is a big part of Eminence: Xander's Tales.

You are right to point out the importance of values, tone and focal points. Everything must work together in harmony otherwise all you will get is visual noise. Although it has taken us a long time to come up with the design style I understand that we have taken some risks when it comes to breaking some of these rules.

After much consideration we have all decided to use an approach (inspired by geometric art and stained glass window designs) which we think will hopefully give us a more original and unique look. We have purposefully gone for a more abstract approach, hence the wide variety of shapes and patterns. The contrast between the head's more readable values, and the rest of the card, helps create a focal point. The frame itself has been specifically tailored to draw your eye to the focal point as well, hence our choice of values. We hope this will become even more apparent when viewed in game amongst the rest of your (and your opponents) deck.

The art direction, design and style that we are going for is very specific and will become a lot clearer as more cards (and more divisions!) and other elements of the game are revealed. So stay tuned and keep an eye out on our official website where we will release a new design every Thursday.

Thanks again for all your support.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    ATM I like Roshan better then Kronos, it's such a nice element that you can see her face rather clear while everything else is made up of lines. It gives a focus point, since the flat colors give a place to rest the eyes on (Roshan's hair does that well, too)
    I also like those colors.

For those division logos... I really like those details and symbols in there, like the guy with the beard (looks like a mixture of priest and dwarf to me, ha ha) and the dragon (see post #45). But I don't know if they'll be readable then displayed smaller.
    That latest logo feels a lot more colorful then everything else in this thread, which is a little strange atm, but I guess that each division get's some unique colors or something like that? Until now everything looks rather "goldish" to me, exept the latest promo with those violetts and blues...

And... excuse my english if I messed something up, haha.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Hi Shotgun!

Thank you for your comments and such detailed feedback! We really appreciate that you have taken the time to help us improve the art of the game, especially since we believe it is a big part of Eminence: Xander's Tales.

You are right to point out the importance of values, tone and focal points. Everything must work together in harmony otherwise all you will get is visual noise. Although it has taken us a long time to come up with the design style I understand that we have taken some risks when it comes to breaking some of these rules.

After much consideration we have all decided to use an approach (inspired by geometric art and stained glass window designs) which we think will hopefully give us a more original and unique look. We have purposefully gone for a more abstract approach, hence the wide variety of shapes and patterns. The contrast between the head's more readable values, and the rest of the card, helps create a focal point. The frame itself has been specifically tailored to draw your eye to the focal point as well, hence our choice of values. We hope this will become even more apparent when viewed in game amongst the rest of your (and your opponents) deck.

The art direction, design and style that we are going for is very specific and will become a lot clearer as more cards (and more divisions!) and other elements of the game are revealed. So stay tuned and keep an eye out on our official website where we will release a new design every Thursday.

Thanks again for all your support.

This sounds like an answer from a politician (or a slick business man)
    Good luck
  • EminenceLux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce wrote: »
    ATM I like Roshan better then Kronos, it's such a nice element that you can see her face rather clear while everything else is made up of lines. It gives a focus point, since the flat colors give a place to rest the eyes on (Roshan's hair does that well, too)
    I also like those colors.

For those division logos... I really like those details and symbols in there, like the guy with the beard (looks like a mixture of priest and dwarf to me, ha ha) and the dragon (see post #45). But I don't know if they'll be readable then displayed smaller.
    That latest logo feels a lot more colorful then everything else in this thread, which is a little strange atm, but I guess that each division get's some unique colors or something like that? Until now everything looks rather "goldish" to me, exept the latest promo with those violetts and blues...

And... excuse my english if I messed something up, haha.

Hi Fenyce!

Thank you for your comments. The division crests displayed on the card will be modified for smaller screens as we have already looked into potential legibility issues.

In regards to your question on introducing new colors, you are indeed correct. Each division will sport their own unique color palette to stand apart from one another.. The colors will also be consistent for each card within a division.

Here is an example of some color choices we plan on implementing for future divisions:

Aeterna - Gold
    Ixion - Blue
    Wilkurse - Green
    Hollows - Grey
    Harlequins - Red

If you have any further queries, give us a shout. I'm always happy to answer questions! :)
    shotgun wrote: »
    This sounds like an answer from a politician (or a slick business man)
    Good luck

Hi shotgun! Haha, apologies if it came across like politician riff-raff but we do take into consideration everyone's feedback. We will always continue to develop the art style and your words have been noted for improvement on future card designs. Thank you for the support and hope to hear from you again once we have more designs to showcase.