Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Snuffleatron 9000 and Mechagodzilla (I need feedback)

I'm putting together a demo reel of my work, and I need feedback on some of my projects. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. The focus for my reel is modeling, especially game modeling.

Any feedback you can give me on my texturing, modeling, and composition would be greatly appreciated. Even telling if it looks good or awful is helpful :D Thanks!

Snuffleatron - Made in Maya and Photoshop (Highpoly)
This is a vehicle I designed from scratched and rendered in 3D. It's a street cleaner with an elephant head.
k6tG04R.png
h0DlRFC.png
gZf2v5R.png

U.S. Tank - Made in Maya (Lowpoly: 7872 faces)
IZIlPL5.png
jX6uEsf.png

Mechagodzilla - Made in Maya (Lowpoly: 4895 faces)
This is a lowpoly character I modeled, textured and rigged. For the modeling, I used a plastic toy for reference, and for the texturing, I had a bit more creative license. It was boring silver, so I gave it a more interesting cast iron look.
M2eipIG.png
v8HCiH9.png

Buildings for UDK - Made in Maya for UDK (Lowpoly)
I made these buildings for a UDK level. The insides and outsides are modeled and textured.
Bx60jpz.png
6nFU0UQ.png
7j9dWpi.png

Replies

• zanzindorf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also working on a turntable of my Mechagodzilla and my Tank. Here are some test renders. How does the pose / texturing / composition look?

htlWNPz.png
    ePfFftp.png
  • zanzindorf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any feedback? If there's something that I didn't include that you need to do a critique, let me know. I was mostly looking for a different perspective. I think these models look awesome, but I made them. I was hoping for an unbiased second opinion. Specifically, feedback on the following would be great:

*Do the bullet holes on my tank look realistic?
    *Is my texture for Mechagodzilla interesting or too boring?
    *For my UDK buildings, can you think of a way to better display my buildings?
    *Does the topology on Mechagodzilla look clean and efficient?
    *My reel focuses mostly on lowpoly. Considering this, should I include my Snuffleatron model which is highpoly, or should I leave it out?
  • zanzindorf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone think my texture for mechagodzilla is too dark? Sorry to keep bugging you guys, but I need critiques on my work for this school assignment. If anyone has any feedback on the pictures I've posted, I would love to hear it.
  • WadeWT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    I think all of your stuff could really benefit from better material definition. It looks like most of your stuff has similar specular values. You should try using specular maps to help make your metals look more metal. Most of the renders also look a bit too dark, the mecha godzilla and tank in particular suffer from really dark shadows and dark backgrounds. Some cool looking models otherwise.
  • zanzindorf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! That makes sense. I'll start messing with my spec maps and my materials.
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Hey there!
    Here are my 2 cents:

Snuffleatron:

- there is no material defintion at all (metal needs a lot of contrast in the spec map)

- overall presentation is a bit weird to be honest. An elephant-street-clean-thing on a street-turntable in space? ^^

tank:

- same thing with the material definition, play around with it, make it pop.
    - put rust, dirt and scratches etc. in places where it makes sense (edges and so on).
    Don't just apply some general rust/dirt layer to the whole model.
    - get the scratches etc. in the normalmap too.
    - smoothing groups seem to be off

godzilla:

- same thing with material definiton / texturing
    - is there a normal map applied to the model?
    - texture is way too blurry -> get a higher resolution.

Good start!
    Keep going and just try different techniques / values etc.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    your building look like they ve been burnt. since it's udk i dont know if theres something wrong with your lightmaps...
  • zanzindorf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks 3dcasper. I think that's one of the main problems with most of my projects. I tend to use the same material throughout. I'll try uploading a higher res version of mecha and my tank when I get to school.

I know the presentation on the street cleaner is a bit weird, but that was honestly what I was going for. I was hoping including this piece would showcase the originality and character I try to add to all my models. I could be wrong though.

Aga22, you're right, it does look burnt. I'm not really sure why that is, because it doesn't look that way in the texture file or in Maya. It only looks like that in UDK. I don't have enough experience in UDK to troubleshoot the problem though. I did a fresh build on the lighting before I took the picture. I'll do more investigating.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    The tank and MGZ are also not in scale with each other. MGZ needs to be about 10x larger to be in scale.