Home Dota 2

Clean bakes

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Andumy polygon
I made this thread because i heard a lot of ways to bake maps and i was courious what ways you guys use and wich one gave you best results?
I have some hard times with the bakes ,because i tried all the ways in the poll and the best result until now i had with the xnormal and the model smoothed,but i got some wierd shadows on the model.On the other side if i do hard edges the normal looks flat and it makes a wierd line on the hard edge.i've tried with cage too but i've got the same horrible results.
ps:i use maya 2014

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That probably has to do with how you're setting up your UV islands/smoothing groups.

This should clear it up : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXTyOOnBZQ
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    so if i have a hard edge i must split the uv and that's should fix the problem ? and even so ,what program do you use for baking ?
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    This is a weird poll... I only say that because this has been covered alot in PnP and Gen Discussion on polycount. Here's an example of what I mean. Lots of the questions I see can be answered using the other boards/polycount wiki as a reference point :D

9/10 I find you will get a better baking method using a couple programs with overlays, and whenever I bake I use maya/max/zbrush as a default. Really lean away from xnormal for normals, usually only quick n dirty results.

Usually it'll just come down to workflow, and what you personally get the best results with. There's no real "clear-cut" winner, or else that would be the only way to do things.

Sorry about the early reply, the edit is me saying what I actually want to say.
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    i will update it (i hope it's possible) if people will sugest other ways,i only got this ones in my head at the moment
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Andumy wrote: »
    so if i have a hard edge i must split the uv and that's should fix the problem ? and even so ,what program do you use for baking ?

Yes this is a common hard surface normal baking concept. But things can get complicated when using something like handplane because handplane does not care about the tangents of the low poly model. You should learn the fundamentals of normal maps from the wiki page.

http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryTexturing%5Cb%29

As for the programs I personally bake everything in xNormal, and I will use handplane when it wants to work for me, but I still bake in xNormal. Also keep in mind baking goes deeper than normals, you should also bake out several other maps for lighting information.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Again, normalmap baking is all much more simple than people make it sound - especially with Source, since it is one of the very few engines out there with a perfectly synced solution : Handplane.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeP-tOKryxU"]Source engine comparison with handplane - YouTube[/ame]

This is not a matter of opinion - this is math :)

- Now usually frustration comes from experimenting with that kind of stuff while working on a model which already took a lot of time to make. So, simply grab an old model of yours, and give yourself a few days to fully experiment.

- Also, at the end of the day it only really depends on the level of tolerance of the artist. Some do not notice small artifacts, and some do. And of course, once in game some things are noticeable and some are not. With Dota using a RTS perspective, a lot of problems go unnoticed anyways so that's good :)

- Now after years of working with that kind of stuff I have seen artists jump through all kinds of time wasting hoops to "fix their bakes", resorting to the most dirty tricks like trying to paint over seams in their normals, tweaking their models after the fact to hide problems, adding weird unnecessary hard edges, and so on. Every single time it came from a misunderstanding of how baking actually works, and was quite easily avoided by setting up the bake properly :)

If you want maximum quality, especially on smooth hard surfaces like armor plates, you really want to be perfectly synced - that is to say, converting your OS to Source-synced TS, like here :

pior_handplane_zpsab9d7444.gif~original

But if you don't mind these kind of small artefacts, then of course you can use the default Xnormal TS - It will be 90% there :)

- All this is dependent on what you use to actually view these maps with, since every display environment (just like any baking environment) uses different syncing. A map perfectly synced to Source will not necessarily look "proper" in UDX or Crysis or Maya viewport. And arguable, the 3DSMax shader I sued above is not perfectly synced to Dota either hehe :)

- When it comes to Dota2 we are lucky enough to have access to a perfectly synced solution (OS to Source-synced TS handplane), which does not require any hard edges and does not need any weird "trick" to make it work, so, my recommendation would be for you to simply keep at it and keep testing it until it works. It really is a very smooth workflow.

- Lat but not least : while experimenting with all this, especially with Maya, make sure to triangulate your low poly meshes before baking. Maya (unlike Max) seem to have a weird logic when it comes to exporting non fully triangulated meshes. Put simply, while Maya might internally think [/] when displaying a quad of your lowpoly in its viewport, it might actually export [\] when writing an OBJ/FBX. Meaning that the resulting normalmap will not match the lowpoly in your viewport. So just to be sure, triangulate everything.

- - - - -

@ Kite : I would say that it get's *less* complicated with Handplane really ;) Hard edges on sharp angles have been used historically because in many pipelines/studios, the baking tool (whichever it is) was not properly synced to the game engine displaying the assets, causing warping problems especially around strong convex shapes.

So, artists all over the industry had to find a workaround for this generalized lazy engineering, and found out that placing a hard edge in the lowpoly model where strong surface changes where happening (and of course, splitting the corresponding UVs to avoid color mixing) would take care of 90% of the issue (there is usually still a very faint seam left but it is hardly noticeable).

Now once you get rid of the problem by using a perfectly synced solution (which is a pretty rare thing - IDtech and Handplane-based workflows being the only ones I ever ran into), you do not need any hard edges tricks *at all*. So, if you are using a Handplane-based workflow, there should be no hard edges in your model, because the reason for them to be there is not here in the first place :)

- - - - -

Personally there are still a few things I want to test with that workflow. It gives me very good results but that is using OBJs and if I understand the format correctly it does remove some important information that should be necessary for a perfect bake (tangent-basis, which is something that one can display in Maya under polygon display options, it's interesting to look at). I need to test it all further using a worst case scenario mesh, a better file format, and then check the final result in Dota. I'll hope to have some time for that in the future !
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    What Pior says is the very best option.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I use handplane.

If anyone is having problems getting handplane to work for them in dota2 send me an email (alecmoody@gmail.com). Especially if you are newer to baking, there are still some basic rules you need to follow for normal maps to function correctly (things like correct UV and mirroring setup). I can usually diagnose those things for people in a couple of minutes. Make sure your email includes your lowpoly model (the file you are sending into handplane) your object space bake, and an image of your issue.

Also, I just had someone buy a freelance license for dota2 use. Just to clarify for people here, you do not need a paid handplane license to use handplane for workshop items.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    @ Kite : I would say that it get's *less* complicated with Handplane really ;) Hard edges on sharp angles have been used historically because in many pipelines/studios, the baking tool (whichever it is) was not properly synced to the game engine displaying the assets, causing warping problems especially around strong convex shapes.

I was trying to look at this from a perspective of a user that has little to no normal map baking knowledge, and I should have given more detail on what I meant. If someone does not understand what a tangent space normal map does, how is it easier to understand that you can use an object space normal, a mesh with garbage tangents, and have handplane give you perfect tangents with the correct weighting for your engine? If you understand all the fundamentals of normal maps and baking, of course its less complicated with handplane, but understanding why it is this way can be more complicated. I think that is what I was trying to say :poly142:

Alec thanks for the email address, I will be reaching out to you later. I have consistent issues with my outputs, but when I get a good output, nothing has changed in my workflow,I was convinced it was my workflow, but no matter what I do I get the same results :\
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I see what you are saying :) I suppose it can sound complicated because of how much misinformation there is out there ? For instance I am not sure what you mean by garbage tangents ...

By less complicated I meant, less of a convoluted process, not relying on "tips and tricks". But yeah I agree that some of the concepts may seem alien at first. Now luckily enough this is Polycount and all the information is here for anyone to grab - 11 pages of discussions on the subject right there :

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68173
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    ok,so after some test this are the results that i've got .

here you can see my model,with diferent types of edges(smooth,hard and avarage).i did them as this:unlock normals,set normal to faces and after for each individual model i set avaraged edges or hard edges or smooth edges.

g0wo.jpg

As you can see i get some wierd shadows on model and i suppose thats the main reason my bakes gets out ugly.

here are the bakes done with the Xnormal object/normal with each type of edges

uv85.jpg

and here are the bakes that i got using handplane for the 3 types of objects maps that i baked earlier and using as lowpoly mesh smooth or avaraged

86zc.jpg

So the best object space map i got was the one where i used a hard edges lowpolly and the best tangent space was using xnormal with a model with avaraged normals.
    The handplane seems to make wierd colors and it screw up the entire model(note:i didn't use any kind of symetry on this bakes,just the unwraped models)
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Right of the bat : the "smooth" and "average" ones in the first picture both look off to me. It might just be because of the way maya displays things, not sure. But unless you have some odd locked tangents, things shouldnt look like either. So, first things first : go to display>polygons>vertex normals and make sure that everything is green, not yellow. Also make sure to Freeze and reset transformations, of course.

As a matter of fact ... with everything unlocked (green), "smooth" and "average" should be exactly the same. So, even before baking there is an issue here. And we can disregard the third option (all facetted) since it is of no relevance anyways.

The OS bake looks great, so there is no problem there.

So now all you have to do is to track what is going on with the "smooth" and "average" ones and work from there.

Good luck, and of course keep us updated.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Also since you are baking some extremely low poly meshes with very strong angle changes (like around the blade) you really need to make sure that everything is triangulated. If not you will likely have issues during baking since the different tools are not going to guess the diagonals the same way.

Also, because of the extreme angle changes in your lowpoly, even a perfectly Source-synced map will always display with artifacts in Maya, since Maya does not use the same tangent-basis than Source anyways. So from there on, once you have the above problems solved and a good TS map from handplane, you should really show your end results inside Dota, in game. (a rather simple way to do that is to export your test asset as a Lone Druid summon, or even, a courier.)

I am glad that you are posting pictures - it makes it much easier for us to help you out :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Hi Andumy. There are a bunch of things going on here. First off, the 3 object space maps are only different because xnormal doesn't average projections over hard edges without using a cage. You absolutely want your projections averaged. The issues with your smoothed edge projection here stem from how the model/projection is set up and not your edges being hard/soft. There is a bunch of info on polycount already about averaged projections but in short, a projection that is split (and not averaged) will create double edge errors and gaps in the projection. In a correctly set up work flow your object space map will look exactly the same no matter how you set smoothing on your lowpoly.

I would recommend you watch this entire video as it should fill in any gaps in your baking workflow:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59_R7RENxE"]handplane baking tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

The second issue here is how you are approaching smoothing on your low. Without going into a lot of detail, the easiest way to set up smoothing is to only harden edges on UV border edges. If you are doing organic objects where UV seems need to transition across smooth surfaces you will want to keep those edges soft as well. The rule here is- no hard edges without a UV split AND UV padding.
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    ummm if i go to vertex normal nothing happens,if i press face normals i got a bunch of perpendicular normal tangents all green
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    it is strange that the vertex normals are not showing up. They might be set to very small ... or maybe they are actually reversed somehow ?

@ Alec :

"no hard edges without a UV split AND UV padding" is totally true ; however :

"Without going into a lot of detail, the easiest way to set up smoothing is to only harden edges on UV border edges" is, as far as I know, incorrect ; or, to be more exact, it is unnecessary and introduces potential errors. I mean, normalmap calculation and display is an extremely sensitive thing ; introducing the harshest thing possible (= a hard edge all the way down the UV seam of an arm, for instance) can only produce more approximations and errors ...

I keep hearing about people doing that but I think this is mostly because of a misunderstanding. I personally never ran into a single case where it was necessary. I would love to see an example tho !
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    i tested on maya 2013 and there it seems that the vertex appear and yes all of them are yellow.
    And i always triangulate my models before exporting them for bake so the problem isn't here
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the best object space map i got was the one where i used a hard edges lowpolly and the best tangent space was using xnormal with a model with avaraged normals.
    The handplane seems to make wierd colors and it screw up the entire model(note:i didn't use any kind of symetry on this bakes,just the unwraped models)

This is what I was referring to eariler. If you use the obj sapce > Handplane workflow, these normals dont matter. Handplane does not use them, that is why you can feed a mesh with garbage tangents, one smoothing group but model has hard edges, and it will fix these errors in the output tangent space normal. If you look at the handplane example any area with bad shading on the model would be the garbage tangents I'm talking about.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    BTW Andumy - it would be great if your example pictures were uploaded (photobucket, imageshack) instead of dropboxed ; that way, if other artists run into the same issue in the future and find this thread, they'll be able to look at your examples an how we collectively fixed them.

(This of course assumes that we will manage to help each other successfully on this, but I am confident that we will :) )

Also : I would love to see a screenshot of your two models ("smooth" and "average") under viewport 2.0 with a Blinn applied. Regular viewport with the matte default Lambert make things hard to debug visually. Thanks !

Another thing : I have encountered some very weird meshes exported out of Maya before, to a point where they made Max crash because of their weird tangents. If I remember correctly I fixed that issue one time by exporting the mesh out of Maya, importing it to Zbrush, and re-export from Zbrush as OBJ as it seemed to "clean up" everything. Then the model just needed to be set to smooth again (in Maya or Max) and then everything was fine from there. So maybe it could be worth trying.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Andumy,
    I am having a hard time following exactly what the issue is. Can you send me your files so I can check it out? I just need a maya file with your lowpoly, and your object space bakes.

Also, the only weird colors I see on your normal maps are from a lack of padding in your object space bake.

This might be a case where in the short term you should not worry about any hard edges at all. Just set unlock your normals, select all the edges, and smooth them. Personally, I never use maya's average normals button. When you bake for source using handplane you should not ever need hard edges to correct a shading error.
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    @pior her it is :D(first is smooth ,second is avaraged) 1vdi.png

on the other side they don't look as good 97hs.png
    @alec i'll send you mail with the files :D
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Wow I have no idea what Maya is doing here haha O_O This looks so weird, I don't see why a model all set to smooth edges would look any different when "averaged". And there is certainly something odd with the back view here. Well, if anything that means we are on the right track to figuring all this out ! :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Oh, I think I know why there are different. Maya defaults to weighting normals with 'area and angle weighted'.

This vid covers xnormal and maya:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpPQXvaSft8"]Using handplane with Maya and XNormal - YouTube[/ame]
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    If i don't need hard edges when using handplane, how do i then fix this?
    44MhBtt.png

bent normal got no artifact

nP8TQL0.png
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ooooh hehe Alec that's right, I remember hearing that they introduced that (very useful, when used appropriately) feature recently ... but stupidly set it as default, which really shouldn't be the case. Cool, that's one thing figured out already.

Nannou : I am not sure to understand what you are saying here. You "fix" this by simply giving handplane your fully smooth lowpoly model, your OS map, and let it convert it all to an accurate Source-synced TS. Also I am not sure to why you are mentioning Bent Normal Maps here, as they have absolutely no relevance to the Dota2 workflow...
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Nannou wrote: »
    If i don't need hard edges when using handplane, how do i then fix this?
    44MhBtt.png

bent normal got no artifact

nP8TQL0.png

Hey nannou, what does the object space map look like from the tip of the blade there?
    Also, feel free to send over that object space map and your 3d file. Ill look at it and let you know what is causing the broken output on the end.
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Bent normal and Object space are the same thing, or did i miss something? I understood it like you don't need hard edges anywhere in your workflow if you use Hp to convert your OS to TS.

Here's the files Alec if you wanted to take a look. https://www.dropbox.com/s/67jaryzaoblhjxv/test.rar

This is my normal map with hard edges. I had to split the tip in 2 and add hard edges to get it to work.

0zYte1J.png
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Nope they are not ... From what I understand, The point of Bent Normals (OS or TS, that's irrelevant) is to introduce a very subtle shift in the normals calculation, causing a slight bending of the light around the corners of objects resulting in a subtle, fake "AO-like" effect in realtime. It's a clever trick but it is also pretty dangerous as it can obviously case warping and other undesired effects... And of course if such a map is used to be converted to TS, or to generate cavity maps, then the errors pile up ...
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    I understand. Not sure where i picked it up but i was sure it was right. How can i get a OS from xnormal then? =/
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    how do you set the model to be baked in handplane? set normals to face->unlock nrmals-> smooth normals -> unlock ->freze->reset and export? or am i missing something
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    @nannou in baking options when you check normal map click the 3 dots and uncheck the tangent normal,so it will bake an OS :D
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Nannou : For OS maps in Xnormal, just go the options for "normalmap" (the same way you edit options for AO, and so on). There is a tickbox to switch from TS to OS :)

(haha And beat me to it :D)
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    So that's what i thought and it gives me the exact same result as a bent normal map, and that is probably why i thought it was the same thing. I also get the same error on the tip so i'm a bit confused :o
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    well from what i understood the difference between OS and bent is very slightly so i suppose that in your case the difference might be so small that they will look alike .have you tried with other models to see if the maps are the same?
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    The same error occurs on any model with a tip like that when i use HP to convert my OS. Xnormal bakes a perfect TS.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    this may be totally offbase Andummy, but also make sure your mesh is set to single sided, what you may have there is if you extruded your mesh negatively in any way your normals could be actually flipped. Average/smooth cant figure it out if thats the case.

To check off double sided on your mesh go to the Attribute editor for you mesh under the shape tab and look under Render stats. Also make sure "opposite" isn't checked. That will auto happen if you negatively scale something and then combine.

RJniDim.jpg
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    this may be totally offbase Andummy, but also make sure your mesh is set to single sided, what you may have there is if you extruded your mesh negatively in any way your normals could be actually flipped. Average/smooth cant figure it out if thats the case.

To check off double sided on your mesh go to the Attribute editor for you mesh under the shape tab and look under Render stats. Also make sure "opposite" isn't checked. That will auto happen if you negatively scale something and then combine.

RJniDim.jpg

i always have the backface culling checked so if the normals would be inverted i would see,also i don't think that dota 2 engine support double sided meshes so i would have to reverse the normals manually :D

i'm 99% sure that the problem is from the smoothing and the way i smooth the mesh because the OS is baking fine so the mesh itself doesn't have problems and the artifacts that i got into the tangent are exactly where i got the wierd shades.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Trevor, that actually a very good point .... I have seen a *lot* of models suffering from that coming from Maya artists. Not the artist's fault really, more like, Maya allowing that kind of stuff too easily in the first place - which then leads to very bad errors when welding with verts oriented the other way. And of course it can indeed cause erroneous baking. Worth double-checking...
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    Oh i remembered another wierd thing in maya.if i duplicate special a mesh with -1 to make it mirrored the duplicate got also inverted normals so everything that is mirrored must be reversed manualy.The big problem is that even with backface culling on they look fine,i actually discovered this thing when i imported in marmoset and there i could see trough the model parts.
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    how do you set the model to be baked in handplane? set normals to face->unlock nrmals-> smooth normals -> unlock ->freze->reset and export? or am i missing something

so? anyone? XD
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    From the top of my head (I dont have maya here) :

Freeze transforms > Reset transforms > Normals-unlock all > Normals-Set to face (that should make it all facetted) > Normals-Smooth normals. All while having the face or vertex normals display enabled, to check how it changes from yellow to green.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    No need to unlock normals twice or set normals to face. Unlocking should clear out any previously averaged normals. I haven't used maya much in the past year so my memory isnt as good about that kind of stuff.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Oh also, in handplane make sure you are setting the input option to auto detect. we are elminating the other options in the next build as they cause way too much confusion.
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    well when i set normals to face the vertex normals swap to yellow and when i smooth the vertex normals remain yellow but the vertex got only 1 normal instead of 3 so or the other 2 are deleted or all of them are overlapped.
    edit: but if i unlock normals again in the end all the yellow normals become green
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    AlecMoody, did you take a look at my files? I tried with the .h3d file format now, but the problem is still there. This is the only problem i have with HP so i would love if you could tell me what's wrong.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    even though it has been pointed out in a way earlier, what really helped me improve my baking quality is three simple things:

1. smoothing split needs uv split
    2. hard edges where ever possible
    3. uv mapping, uv mapping, uv mapping

part 3 takes a bit of practice and the process itself takes a bit of time, but imho its essential for a good quality bake, and i am still learning that little spaces matter in the end, which means use the little spaces as much as you can and make your uvs as big as possible without overlapping eachother. i think it was jeremy who had a pretty nice example picture of a sven sword uv map in his thread.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I totally agree with 1 and 3 ... but for 2, I'd say the opposite : one should use hard edges as *little* as possible.

Every hard edge introduced in the model means that the normalmap will have to compensate for it, on top of doing its real job of faking the surface quality of the highpoly model. Why introduce that ?
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    well, i read it that you should use hard edges instead of having the normal map do the work for that, so you have a real hard edge in the model, i guess it runs in conjunction with number 1.
    i got that info btw from a pc thread on normal maps. seemed to the standard work that is suggested to folks when they have questions ^^ For me, i never could use too many hard egdes in a model anyway. maybe cause I simply do more organic work then hardsurface modeling/sculpting
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yup that is indeed the suggested workflow when the normalmap cannot possibly do a perfect job ; that is to say, when dealing with a pipeline not properly synced between baking and rendering ... which is, very sadly enough, 95% of the cases out there. It's really a bummer that us artists have to rely on such tricks to "fix" the way many engines work.

However we are *very* lucky with Source and Dota2, because thanks to Handplane these two are perfectly synced. Thats actually pretty awesome and I think we should try to use it at its fullest !

- - - - -

Now for a bit of history : ironically one of the first games to ever use normalmaps, Doom3, was perfectly synced back then. Baking was taking place inside the game client itself using a command line tool (!), and the results were flawless regardless of sharp angles and whatnot. Not only was the syncing perfect, but it also used face-weighted normals for increased precision. This was waaaaay ahead of its time. Maybe that's why I am so picky when it comes to bake quality now :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I looked an nannou and andumy's files and their spotted off colors are a bug that will be fixed soon. It only happens if you smooth an extreme sharp angle. In the shot term just add a hard edge along your blades sharp edge.