Home Technical Talk

Animation of the Broken age??

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Just watched some gameplay videos of this new game called Broken Age. I have to say the story is brilliant and the visuals are very stunning compared to the 3d stuff around these days. I am curious about how the animation was done. I am sure its not 3d animation, it's definitely 2d animation, probably cutout animated in After Effects,Toonboom or something.

This has actually shown another way games can be made using 2d animation. Though 3d will definitely have the upper hand. Some of the advantages of 2d animation used in this are the colors and artstyle is unique. Lipsynching, facial expression and interaction look way more believable than the 3d games I have seen so far.
I do see a possibility where characters can be drawn in 2d and rigged and then projected to give them a 3d appearance or 3d world with the art look still intact.
I have been wondering if in future there will be a software that can take a 2d side and front profile and create a 3d representation from it. I am also thinking of a software that lets u animate in 2d and maintains proportion and speeds up animation as u do.The thing about 2d is the freedom drawing presents.U can draw as much as u want. Creating assets is very easy but maintaining them for a number of frames takes a lot of time to get done.

3d on the otherhand,takes a long time to create assets but the animation part is very easy especially with mocap being used these days for animating characters.

Replies