Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Final project Japenese Level

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
st0kje polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone, I've started working on my final project for class and thought that I'd make a thread about it so I could get some feedback,

My goal is to make it modular, and also to use tileable textures that I can re-use a lot, my main focus will be the outside of the building & environment but if I have enough time over I will model the inside too.

Some of my references
Reference_Endproject.jpg

What I've got now
End_Project_ProgressShot_2.png
End_Project_ProgressShot_3.png

Next up some more basic models and foliage :)

Replies

• Arkana
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkana polycounter lvl 8
    The paper windows look a bit too flat/hard. I'd probably add a tiny bit of illumination on them to give the impression of translucency.

If you're focusing on the building I'd get a few better/closer reference images of traditional Japanese buildings. I hope you end up making some nice foliage.
  • TTG
    Great , and nice working :)
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    I'd personally change the red colored wood into natural dark brown.
    For some reason, the current color scheme gives me more of a "Chinese" feeling.
    I always picture Japanese shrines/castles as nature-oriented, if that makes sense.
  • st0kje
    Offline / Send Message
    st0kje polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the reply guys!
    The paper windows look a bit too flat/hard. I'd probably add a tiny bit of illumination on them to give the impression of translucency.

If you're focusing on the building I'd get a few better/closer reference images of traditional Japanese buildings. I hope you end up making some nice foliage.

Thanks, I've put it on my to do list :) the building definitely needs some more work done
    I'd personally change the red colored wood into natural dark brown.
    For some reason, the current color scheme gives me more of a "Chinese" feeling.
    I always picture Japanese shrines/castles as nature-oriented, if that makes sense.

That does make sense, I think I have to do some more research, in the end I'll probably will make it a dark brown wood only then with a red vertex paint on top of it to give it a bit of ageing

Here is some of the foliage I've been working on
    End_Project_ProgressShot_4.png

----
    To do:
    • finish the building texture
    • finish terrain model
    • tiling stone floor texture
    • tilling rock texture
    • rocks, rocks and rocks