Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flying Dutchman Handpaint Enviro - Unity

Hello Greentoothers !
I did some times ago a modular environment for a canceled indie mobile game,
Hand painted texture and lightmaps, like the good ol' 98's pc game :)

I plan to put it on my portfolio ,do you have any advice or feedback ?

Thanks !

2ik9fso.jpg
UNfnOFD.jpg
Jw95p14.jpg

Replies

• Broadway
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Cool! I think you could push the cannon textures a little more with some more contrast and edge highlights. Also you might want to de-contrast the tiling wood on the floor/walls.
  • DWalker
    The rust on the cannon appears random; try concentrating it in logical areas - along edges, on the underside of curves. You could also add some carbon residue along the edge of the muzzle.

The playfield seems rather constrained & rectangular, but it's hard to judge without knowing more about the game.

I'd expect more spill-over from the green light in the center - it doesn't seem to illuminate much other than a few distant boards.

The pipes running down the center don't make much sense.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm inclined to think floorboards might be a bit too high detail. They look great on the texture, albeit perhaps a bit short, but spread across the entire deck of the boat they're a little on the overly noisy side.
  • circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    I think it's nice so far but there's too much black everywhere. I'd use a different colour terminator and avoid pure black pretty much everywhere. Also with your wooden texture I'd probably make the dark spaces thinner as they are kind of taking over at distance.
  • Yuke
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    This is looking really nice so far, keep it up!

I think the smaller wood tiling texture is perhaps a bit too noisy in terms of detail, when it's tiled on the floor it just seems slightly too distracting.

I'd also maybe tone down the blue/purple lighting very slightly to make it more of a hue in line with night-time/moon lit lighting.

The green light coming out of the grid in the centre looks great, I like it, but it doesn't seem to spill out or have impact on the scene, maybe it could very faintly spill out over the metal grid?
  • hmm_rock
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    It looks great! I agree with others that it's a little too dark, but I'm digging the atmosphere. You might consider rotating one or two wheels so that the texture has some more variation (the dark rust spot on the metal band sticks out and you can immediately tell that it's one texture)
  • metaD
    Thanks for your feedbacks, really.

I try to fix the woodplank floor contrast right now :
    VWkZoYh.gif

About level design, yeah, it more like a test and I got used to the nonsense by trying my assets over again and again.

The metal bar was to place wood pillars, *derp*.

I will fix the lights and show you asap.