Home Dota 2

Wybolo's workshop

Hello folks, I've been lurking here a long time but now seems as good a time as any to jump in.

I've got a few items worked all the way to submission but due to pipeline problems that's always been the stop block for me. I'm pretty sure that's all resolved now so hopefully I'll have something to show soon. That January deadline is getting real close.

Replies

• WyBolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the offhand weapon for a set I'm making for Brewmaster. I'll admit, Low-poly modeling is definitely not my strongest skill as I usually do hi-rez sculpts. So while I like how this first attempt came out it did not translate well to the low-poly model.

hulu.jpg

For the second attempt I made the details much "chunkier" as my friend is fond of saying and this came out much better in the low-poly.

hulu1.jpg

Now to get the stupid import process down. Spent most of the night fussing with it but I think I've got just about everything settled. Hopefully I'll get it done tonight or this project may just not happen, again.
  • WyBolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question for anyone. I'm hoping someone has seen this. The model's are finally importing correctly into DOTA but I'm getting solid purple for the texture. Not the purple and black squares, I know what that is but solid neon purple.

Any ideas?
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    The importer is broken for now afaik. I've not tested it today, but last I heard it's still the case. You can try importing using Dota 2 Test instead.
  • WyBolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Snow. I see there are lots of people having mystery problems. Man, the amount of time I've wasted tweaking things trying to get them to work.

I'll give DOTA 2 Test a try.
  • WyBolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pieces finally fell together and I got the weapon imported.

Here's the sculpt...
    bamboo2.jpg

and here it is in-game. I tweaked the masks and colors a bit more after this.
    bamboo1.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Textures seems way low-res and connections between bamboo sections lack any depressions on the normal map. I suggest you remap and push the details some more on the sculpt.
  • WyBolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vlad. I think this is due to my lack of experience on game-res assets. I'll give it another try.
  • WyBolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Down to the wire here. So the previous import I did of BrewMaster using SoftImage broke when the last update came down. So I'm trying to import it with Modo SE but binding multiple bones to the model doesn't seem to work too well. I've gone through using the setup tab and the heat method but no matter how I tweak it the last bone flail_R3C0 never picks up. Anyone else had any luck with Brewmaster weapon?

Also, I'd really like to know what happened that broke importing using SoftImage. I was exporting using the SMD exporter so can't imagine what went wrong there.