Home Dota 2

two_larsens Workshop

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
Hello Dota Item Makers,

I've been busy trying to wrap up my first set - a set for Spirit Breaker. The theme I was going for was his charge. I wanted him to have a giant horn attached to a piece of protective shoulder/back armor shaped with a bit of forward motion.

For the wrists, I used the horn idea, and went for two different pieces - for visual variety.

For his waist, I thought it would look interesting with some larger scales, combining into the tail armor, which is made of linked sections. The tail I remodeled with some larger hair swirls, and then have leather straps keeping all the pieces in place.

His head, I thought , would look interesting having three horns that all have broken to stubs - from him charging.

The weapon is not done - except for the handle. The shape is somewhat there, and the horns running through the mace part of it, are yet to be detailed - as well as the chain - but nothing too drastic.

My plan is for the chain to be glowing bright blue and for there to be an inner glow - also blue - in between the horns.

All the pieces (except for the weapon) are done - as such (LoD0 & LoD1), but nothing is cast in stone, since I do tend to change things to a fault.

Also, what also needs done is the rigging of the waist piece and the weapon, and to be honest, I have no idea of what I'm looking at there. I am an environment artist, but not an animator. Perhaps I will have to ask for some advice for how to proceed with that.

Anyway, suggestions are always welcome. Colors and color combinations are up for grabs as well. I have initially gone for colors already in his existing set (gold and blues).

Overall, I've gone for clean lines (as much as I can), and nothing too visually distracting from a distance - so simple shapes and lines, and something that looks like it belongs together. I could go in and make splits in the armor pieces, and I have thought about that, but for some reason, I personally liked the 'clean' look. That is up for grabs too, I imagine. I am still learning in regards to item-making, but it is a little tricky doing this since so many visual levels have to be considered.

Thanks.

3ds_3.jpg

3ds_2.jpg

3ds_1.jpg

3ds_4.jpg

3ds_8.jpg

3ds_5.jpg

3ds_7.jpg

marmoset_4.jpg

marmoset_3.jpg

marmoset_5.jpg

Replies

• polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your work! I'm glad to see a full set that isn't so busy.

I understand the idea to let him have broken horns, but in the end he just doesn't look that dangerous. I'd like it more if he had some real killer spikes on his armor. Maybe you try breaking only one or two of the bones.

Also I like the weapon hand bracers better as it look more robust. =)

Another point that is odd to me: His loincloth has those small detailed scales whereas all the rest of his armor is simpler and larger. Maybe you try to simplify the loincloth.

And as a final statement: I love the metal clamps around the large shoulder bone!
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. That's a good point, polarbear. The scales in the loin cloth should - if nothing else, be incorporated into a couple other areas. Also, I did think about completely shattering the bone on his shoulder - having large splits in it. Hearing your critique, I should try a version of that.

Henrik
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here is a progress shot of a Riki knife I've had in mind. For this concept, I thought it would look interesting having his dagger be a combination of blades and a syringe full of poison - slowing poison, as I have it - but who knows. Anyway, any thoughts - critique or feedback?

I, like with the Spirit Breaker set, didn't want too many ideas incorporated into an item - but rather one per thing, since it can become too busy - visually.

Thanks!

Henrik

dagger_marmoset_1.jpg

dagger_marmoset_2.jpg
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    It's a cool idea for sure, but it feels a bit out of place for Riki. A dagger coated with poison works well, but it's seems unlikely for Riki to use syringes.
  • ShorkGamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    Make it for qop.
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know what? That is a good idea - changing it to Queen of Pain. That would be better. Any other feedback - positive or negative?
  • ShorkGamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    I want 0% colab for it xD just a joke.
    Well as positive feedback it looks great a very good idea to combine it with a nice blade/dagger.
    But for Qop I would use red colours maybe a bit of a goldish colour pool.
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    I really like it, I think the QOP suggestion is golden.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Agree with the QoP idea. Changing it to red would also make it perfect for her. Also maybe make it a bit more gold instead of that brown-ish color. Apart from that, I don't have much to complain, the work looks really solid overall!
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not sure about QoP but you musnt do it for riki.
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it wont be for Riki now, but QOP. I have another design in mind for him, and the poison will work well with the Queen. As said - change the colors, which I originally did want a more reddish, since it looks more poisonous, but the colors weren't in Riki's color scheme.

Any other feedback?
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. Here's an update to the dagger - the now Queen of Pain dagger. Since it now goes to another hero, I thought it fair to change the design to fit better - at least in my opinion. So, I sharpened the edges, and made the hand guard 'viper-like' with the tips suggesting fangs. I also elongated the dagger to fit better the 'throwing' aspect of her character, and thereby made the tips a bit like tips of a fishing hook. The colors got changed, and I added a slight glow along the edges to imply the poison having eaten and seeped through the metal.

So, in essence, I remade it from scratch since there were a bunch of design I wanted in it, then.

Any thoughts?

dagger_1.jpg

dagger_2.jpg

Portfolio: http://www.henriks3dworld.com/
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    That's looking much much better! Try it out ingame and check how it looks on the hero :D