Small updates on the cliff substance:
    03.png

05.png
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys quick question.
    Save i had brushed metal but is going horizontal but some of my uvs are going vertical what is the best to change the direction of the brush metal.
    Cheers
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 polycounter lvl 12
    Hi guys quick question.
    Save i had brushed metal but is going horizontal but some of my uvs are going vertical what is the best to change the direction of the brush metal.
    Cheers

You could use a Transform2D-Node to flip the texture 90 degrees and blend this with the non-transformed texture while using a mask to seperate them for the parts that need the rotated texture.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Quack! wrote: »
    Roughness is the inverse of glossiness. So tick the invert option and place the roughness in the glossiness slot. Besides that, there will always be discrepancies between view ports. Always view your work in the target viewport and don't trust substances viewport. You can use the same cubemap in both SD and toolbag2 to help sync it up, but that's far from perfect.

I think the strangest thing is that marmoset also seems to darken my albedo, I have viewed it in the Substance texture viewport, look plenty fine, I looked at it in photoshop, it looks fine, I open the texture viewer in the marmoset and it is significantly darker. I'll post screen grabs tonight. Perhaps it might just be an issue in marmoset.
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 wrote: »
    You could use a Transform2D-Node to flip the texture 90 degrees and blend this with the non-transformed texture while using a mask to seperate them for the parts that need the rotated texture.

Cheers for the reply mate.
    Would that work with a base material?. Rotating the material with its rgh, rfl etc . Doing that would mess up the normals for the metal would it not?
    Would a flow map work at all?
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 polycounter lvl 12
    Cheers for the reply mate.
    Would that work with a base material?. Rotating the material with its rgh, rfl etc . Doing that would mess up the normals for the metal would it not?
    Would a flow map work at all?

No, for the material you would need a material transform node. I don't know if that also rotates the normals but I'm guessing not because there are several people here in the forums working on a node that rotates normals correctly.

To be honest I've started learning Substance Designer just two weeks ago so I'm only able to answer the most basic questions at this stage..

As for a flow map I guess that would work too but it certainly is more expensive to calculate than using blends and transforms. Also it would probably take longer to create.
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 wrote: »
    No, for the material you would need a material transform node. I don't know if that also rotates the normals but I'm guessing not because there are several people here in the forums working on a node that rotates normals correctly.

To be honest I've started learning Substance Designer just two weeks ago so I'm only able to answer the most basic questions at this stage..

As for a flow map I guess that would work too but it certainly is more expensive to calculate than using blends and transforms. Also it would probably take longer to create.

Cheers Twister
    thanks for the reply mate

Using masks and transforms on uvs that could be quite fragmented sounds a bit tedious and destructive if further down the line you have to tweak the uvs. I was hoping to fine a less destructive workflow to achieving this. Im sure one of you clever cats will know a way. :) Let me know if im in the wrong thread and i will take my problems elsewhere :)

As it goes using tri planaar in painter would solve it maybe.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys !
    I (finally) took the time to make 2 vids in order to explain how to use the pixel processor to rotate normal maps
    I hope you will enjoy them !

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFfgC0tFiAU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFfgC0tFiAU[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0YXo6ynZ9Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0YXo6ynZ9Q[/ame]

rotateNormals.gif
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Froyok wrote: »
    Don't forget to switch to GGX instead of Blinn-Phong (the default setting) in Toolbag 2.

I would be curious to know why you say that. With the same cubemap you should get identical results.

With my mech I used the same cubemap and all post processing shut off in both TB2 and SD4 and all of my colors were off in some way. I haven't opened those files in forever, but I have just been living with the assumption that there are differences in the viewport that warrant the artist to just view their work in the target engine.

[edit] After ruminating on it for a bit, I am willing to bet that my settings in Toolbag2 were incorrect and led to value differences in my maps.
    samnwck wrote: »
    I think the strangest thing is that marmoset also seems to darken my albedo, I have viewed it in the Substance texture viewport, look plenty fine, I looked at it in photoshop, it looks fine, I open the texture viewer in the marmoset and it is significantly darker. I'll post screen grabs tonight. Perhaps it might just be an issue in marmoset.

Follow Wes' suggestions at the bottom of this link, it should get you close: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=3368.0
  • mattyinthesun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mattyinthesun polycounter lvl 4
    100% procedural in Substance Designer - height/normal/albedo/gloss generated, rendered using Corona for 3DSMax.

brick_wall_substance_1600.jpg
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So this is what I'm talking about and I believe it to be a major contributing factor into why I can't get it looking just right, it looks fine in substance and in photoshop so I have no idea what is wrong with it.

In PS/Sub Designer
    rGkJ62T.jpg?1

In marmoset
    aF9GSgw.png
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whalebones polycounter lvl 11
    So this is what I'm talking about and I believe it to be a major contributing factor into why I can't get it looking just right, it looks fine in substance and in photoshop so I have no idea what is wrong with it.

In PS/Sub Designer
    rGkJ62T.jpg?1

In marmoset
    aF9GSgw.png

When you are publishing the substance what maps are you exporting? Also check what maps are being used in Marmoset, you may need to swap the input map for the roughness/gloss =]

EDIT: Sorry just realised you're showing the Albedo, by the colours I thought it was roughness haha but still, it is worth rechecking your map inputs in Marmoset. It may even be that Marmoset is set to an irregular engine that uses a different method of map inputs. Make sure it is set to just PBR and that you export your substance maps as PBR as well. Just to troubleshoot the issue.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Marmoset doesn't have a roughness input, but as stated by the other guys above glossness just needs to be inverted. But I have albedo, normal, and roughness maps.

Btw, thanks for everyone's help on this issue so far! This noob still has much to learn!

[Edit] I just found out it was also doing the darkening to my normal as well which really made it looked fucked up when applied. Perhaps I should move my issue to the marmoset forum.

xlhioY5.png?1
    viCyXHQ.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    When you are importing these textures have you tried turning off sRGB or turning on a linear option? Could be a simple sRGB vs linear issue. I don't have Marmoset Toolbag 2 so I can't really test out that solution myself.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    @samnwck ZacD is correct, make sure that sRGB is turned off for the normal map in Marmoset, if you click on the options menu next to the input slot you can change that. sRGB should be turned on for the Albedo slot.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Quack! wrote: »
    With my mech I used the same cubemap and all post processing shut off in both TB2 and SD4 and all of my colors were off in some way. I haven't opened those files in forever, but I have just been living with the assumption that there are differences in the viewport that warrant the artist to just view their work in the target engine.

[edit] After ruminating on it for a bit, I am willing to bet that my settings in Toolbag2 were incorrect and led to value differences in my maps.

There is so much settings it's hard to be sure of everything. Even for us.
    One thing to consider is that even if the env map seems identical, the one shipped in Toolbag 2 and the one Designer/Painter are not calibrated at the same level of exposure for example (we also tweaked some manually by modifying the sun and so on). GGX vs Blinn also have an huge impact on the rendering/feeling of the shading.

Don't hesitate to ask or report a problem is you meet one.
    (We are using Toolbag 2 too sometimes.)
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Froyok wrote: »
    There is so much settings it's hard to be sure of everything. Even for us.
    One thing to consider is that even if the env map seems identical, the one shipped in Toolbag 2 and the one Designer/Painter are not calibrated at the same level of exposure for example (we also tweaked some manually by modifying the sun and so on). GGX vs Blinn also have an huge impact on the rendering/feeling of the shading.

Don't hesitate to ask or report a problem is you meet one.
    (We are using Toolbag 2 too sometimes.)

So I went home last night to test this out and it was most definitley on my end. I feel the SRGB settings are convoluted and confusing. But after working with it a bit, I could get substance and toolbag2 to sync up very very close. I was planning on a SD5->TB2 workflow quick video anyway, so I may need to incorporate that(and also do a bit more research to make sure I fully understand them).
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey peoples!

I'm doing a few video tutorials for my uni course here is the first of a couple basic Substances for newcomers! Feedback is more than welcome! =D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4NFno0-nsQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4NFno0-nsQ[/ame]
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me out, sRGB was in fact the issue, however my real problem was the fact that my files were saved as tif files which must not play well with marmoset for one reason or another. But thanks a lot guys, also for my first test texture I am LOVING substance, the workflow just makes sense once you get used to it. I can't wait until I can really dig into all of its potential!
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whalebones wrote: »
    Hey peoples!

I'm doing a few video tutorials for my uni course here is the first of a couple basic Substances for newcomers! Feedback is more than welcome! =D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4NFno0-nsQ

Cheers : I am going to watch this ASAP :-)
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    The cliff in Marmoset toolbag.

I'm new to the toolbag, so I'm still working on a nice scene to show the materials in.

Hopefully they will integrate Substance Designer 5 substances soon :D.

The cliff will be a free substance downloadable from my blog. 100% procedural.

screenshot011.png
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    The free cliff substance is online.

Enjoy!

Download it here.

Cliff%2B%288%29.png

Graph.PNG

Parameters.PNG

Cliff%2B%283%29.png

Cliff%2B%285%29.png
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some tests with the pixel processor to "fake" light (there is actually no lighting in these 2 GIFs):

WNMTest2.gif

WNMTest3.gif
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny wrote: »
    Some tests with the pixel processor to "fake" light (there is actually no lighting in these 2 GIFs):

WNMTest2.gif

WNMTest3.gif

That's awesome Vinny! I've wanted to look into the pixel processor and now I want to even more. Any tutorials that you could point me to?
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whalebones wrote: »
    That's awesome Vinny! I've wanted to look into the pixel processor and now I want to even more. Any tutorials that you could point me to?

Well you could watch the official Allegorithmic ones, or, the ones I made last week :-)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFfgC0tFiAU&list=PLQ6wUoAdU6terhKKbO2gDngfweaZ-uUip&index=1"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFfgC0tFiAU&list=PLQ6wUoAdU6terhKKbO2gDngfweaZ-uUip&index=1[/ame]
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap wrote: »
    @CGvinny, that's awesome!
    Cheers ;-)
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another one of my tutorial videos! This time covering how to make a wet/dry concrete material!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Ei9ZEC2SE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Ei9ZEC2SE[/ame]
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Guys i need advise. I want to create a texture like this wYDtHTt.jpg
    but I have trouble with white lines. On my version they look more like a smooth lines but on reference image they are like lightning. OEU1fHp.png

If you tell me the direction in which to move i would be so happy.
    And I will try redo it right now so not to stand on the spot.
    Thx you! :)
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    You can build up the cracks look by inputting a random tile node with circle shapes into a distance node and then pumping that through an edge detect. Then warp and slope blur it to achieve a more 'lighting'-esque look.

You could also try putting a scratch generator through warps and slope blurs.

Also the metal edge wear without any input parameters can create some interesting marbley shapes.

EDIT: @Kay, hey thanks for sharing. Going to look through this when I get a chance. It looks really nice though!
    @Whalebones going to watch this later after work, thanks for posting.
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Following Vincent's experiments..
    Fake 2D image based lighting (their is no light in the scene).

M8UIa8D.gif

I'll share the sbs soon.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW wrote: »
    Following Vincent's experiments..
    Fake 2D image based lighting (their is no light in the scene).

M8UIa8D.gif

I'll share the sbs soon.

OMG!!! How could it be!!
    This is pure awesome witchcraft!
    you are not human : you are a substance wizard!

Can't wait to get this awesomely awesome sbsar!
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    @ IlyaIvanovArt. This was made with a photo ran through bitmap2material. I masked off the white areas(quartz) and made them use subsurface scattering to give them a little depth. Hope it helps.

granite_red_rough_by_electricsauce-d86y2xn.jpg
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    cgvinny wrote: »
    OMG!!! How could it be!!
    This is pure awesome witchcraft!
    you are not human : you are a substance wizard!

Can't wait to get this awesomely awesome sbsar!

lol Vincent..
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another "Terrain Maker" tutorial : about ocean this time :-)
    Hope you like it ;-)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwraW_zqmdQ[/ame]
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Followed Wahlebone's tutorial (Thanks! Your tutorials are awesome and a good pace for me to learn with!) and got this:

CXK7uQd.png

The I tried making my own without a tutorial and it came out... okay I guess?

Wt3eLqr.jpg

Think I need to learn how to use Heightmaps and make grout like textures in this. I ultimately want to be able to make things like sand or patchy grass eventually.
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Followed Wahlebone's tutorial (Thanks! Your tutorials are awesome and a good pace for me to learn with!) and got this:

CXK7uQd.png

The I tried making my own without a tutorial and it came out... okay I guess?

Wt3eLqr.jpg

Think I need to learn how to use Heightmaps and make grout like textures in this. I ultimately want to be able to make things like sand or patchy grass eventually.

Awesome! =D That's so cool that you followed my tutorial thank you! Like I said in the videos, I'll be getting a tile tutorial up and running soon, I promise =P
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome, can't wait! :D
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Couple of hours getting familiar with Designer :)

Couple more things I'd like to add/tweak then I'll call it done.

Bcpr2g3.png
  • rpopovici
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rpopovici polycounter lvl 5
    Hello all,

I have been playing lately with rounded edge shader in modo. This basically allows you to model in low poly and then you can bake from low poly to low poly with the ability to retain the fake bevel applied to hard edges or even mesh intersections while rendering. I am wondering if there is any way in substance designer/painter to achieve similar results. More info you can find on this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146280

Thanks!
  • Tyrone70
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if this is the wrong place, but you know those little "conversion" nodes that you get when you put a color image into a grayscale input? How do you get those? I wanna start using them for gradients and levels so my graph can look a little cleaner.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Tyrone70 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong place, but you know those little "conversion" nodes that you get when you put a color image into a grayscale input? How do you get those? I wanna start using them for gradients and levels so my graph can look a little cleaner.

Those are just docked gradient map nodes, select a node and press the d key to dock a node, assuming it's a 1 to 1 connection of course.
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    X-post from WAYWO thread :)

Calling this material study done now.

Changed the pattern generator and transformed it a bit to push the chips to the corners to get a more realistic result. Planning on doing a few more of these as I'm really enjoying playing about in Designer.

SD5 project file available for download on my ArtStation:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/substance-designer-material-study-tiled-floor

nR2kusI.jpg
    PGO7GAC.jpg
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    I needed something for quick test alphas so I made a happy face substance.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9194933/Substances/HappyFace.sbsar
  • voronov.art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    voronov.art polycounter lvl 10
    This is my second substance. 100% procedural

SD_Ground.jpg~original
  • boumay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boumay polycounter lvl 6
    Hello,
    Maybe I'll find someone here who knows the solution.

Baked maps are faceted out of SD.
    I think it's a smoothing groups issue, but I smoothed all faces out several times using different methods, and the model looks fine in 3dsmax and even in SD viewport.

So why this?

I use fbx format.

Can't find a solution, I searched and tried all I knew, without success.

Any solution?
    Thank you.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boumay wrote: »
    Hello,
    Maybe I'll find someone here who knows the solution.

Baked maps are faceted out of SD.
    I think it's a smoothing groups issue, but I smoothed all faces out several times using different methods, and the model looks fine in 3dsmax and even in SD viewport.

So why this?

I use fbx format.

Can't find a solution, I searched and tried all I knew, without success.

Any solution?
    Thank you.

Hey,
    Are you checking the preserve smooth groups in the export options?
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    voron3d wrote: »
    This is my second substance. 100% procedural

SD_Ground.jpg~original

Nice rocks!
  • gel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gel polycounter lvl 7