Home General Discussion

Directions

Greetings.

Maybe this is a recurring post but I'd like to have one made by me, and would like some directions and/or advices.
I am an architecture student in Brazil, but I've always loved video games, and art in general, also I'd always liked the idea of becoming a professor.
The point is, I started an Electrical Engineering degree before changing into Architecture, and I think I only list my time there, now, I am 24 years old, in the middle of my degree, with no experience, no real artistic skills, the only softwares I am familiar are autoCAD, Sketchup and a little of Rhinoceros.
I am somewhat in crisis of what am I going to do know, I mean, I love architecture, so I am not going to change my degree again, is there any way that with this degree I can work in the gaming or 3D modeling industry? Where should I start? Working on 3DMax, Maya or anuthing like that?

I don't know if my doubts were clearly explained, I am not very sure of them either.

Thank you

Replies

• Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    The short answer is yes, but it will take some work.

For starters you should pick up either Maya or Max and work on polygonal modeling techniques as well as basic lighting and rendering skills.

From there, you could certainly get into "Architectural Visualization". Basically, you'd work with architects to produce scenes of completed projects so the client can better understand what it will look like when it's finished. Having a degree in architecture yourself would be a MASSIVE bonus.

For games, you'll need to learn low poly modeling techniques as well as how to make a space look used and often aged. In "Arch Viz" they usually want scenes to look perfect whereas in games it's just the opposite. Game art however is far more technically demanding since your final scene needs to be rendered in real time.

For right now, I'd aim for Arch Viz. It fits in beautifully with your degree and is easier to find work in. Just pick up Maya or Max and start rendering some environments.
  • Toffa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much. I'll gather more information about it an surely will try to learn how to use these softwares properly. Just another thing, searching for tutorials on the internet and inside the polycount wiki should be enough for starters or are there any more specific ones?