Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Dota2 Submission :D

RobH
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
RobH polycounter lvl 18
Hi all!

I wanted to take a crack at submitting an animated courier to Dota2. It was a fair chunk of work, but I'm happy with what I accomplished in the 3000 tri / 52 bone limit. If you have any comments or suggestions I would be interested to hear them. If you like what you see I would really appreciate a thumbs up rate on the steam page :D

Steam page : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203743078&searchtext=
Youtube vid : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIj9gfqGPCg"]Dota2 - Deldhiniel, Woodelf Courier Updated - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• q7204k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it =D
    But I think that death animation is a little bit raw (0.56-1.00).
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    I really like the mod, texturing and most of the animations.

The only things that doesn't work for me are the death animations. Unfortunately I don't know much about animation and can't really tell exactly what is wrong. But if it feels wrong to me, it will feel wrong for the player too.
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    Dude this is awesome. well done. Only crit are the same as above. The death animation isn't the best, i'm not an animator so i cant really get into detail but it mite be worth watching some videos of people falling from bikes. The cycling one and flying ones are cool and fit the overall dota style. Well done bro
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    She looks very rigid in the death animations and they aren't very smooth. Also in the ground based death animation she falls off the bike the opposite way to the way the bike falls, which looks really wrong.

(The model texture and concept are cool though)
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Heyo RobH, cool work on the courier. The 2 piece couriers always get mad props in my book for the awesome modeling work.

As for the animations I think either death really has the weight it should. In the ground death, the bike sort of dis-assembles, and the riders weight isnt really distributed through the fall. I would expect the rider to tumble over the handlebars, if the front wheel came off first. As for the flying death animation, your translate Y curves arent portraying the weight needed to represent the fall properly. She sort of hovers to the ground. Same goes for the bounce on the tire, but the tire bounce is a real slick touch.

The idles, and run cycles are all real smooth, and nice but also seem a little "un-enthused" I guess you could say. The Haste flying is awesome, and I think the coolest part for me from an animation perspective is the rare flying idle, where she starts to counterbalance while flying, that is tooooo sick!

Keep it up! Not bad at all for a first courier :)