Home Technical Talk

Knald - Master Thread

Replies

• bmobius6
    Offline / Send Message
    bmobius6 polycounter lvl 7
    And this made my day! Many thanks to the team working on Knald. I really appreciate what you fine folks are doing!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks for the kind words , guys!
    We have been getting some great feedback over the course of the Beta and it makes all the hard work worth it when we know that people enjoy using Knald so much :)

Cheers!
  • bounchfx
    yay! I'm so excited to try it out. great job dudes!
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Knald is my baking solution for everything, and with ID maps now being included I'm even happier. You guys rock.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks, guys. Happy to help :)
    Have fun!
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Been using it all week and I gota say Im still loving all the bad ass work you guys have been doing.
    This has saved my ass so many times :smile: 

• metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks, Charles! Glad you are finding Knald to be useful :smiley: 
  • Dexyn

This is a new and strange problem I've been running into with the recent update. I can get into the program, but when I try to use the bake option it just freezes out and closes.

Everything is updated, all is stable elsewhere, just a weird problem I'm running into with Knald when trying to bake.

GPU: 980M
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hey guys, grabbed the new version, curvature maps look very blurry from inputted normal map. So does my old trick of using heightmap with max iterations of 1. Also thanks for putting in the bilinear filtering into the 2D view, but it appears kind of messed up, it has lots of aliasing and shearing when you zoom the image in and out. Now it's just a blurred pixelated 2D preview, so I think the unfiltered image was actually easier to look at.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Dexyn said:

This is a new and strange problem I've been running into with the recent update. I can get into the program, but when I try to use the bake option it just freezes out and closes.

Everything is updated, all is stable elsewhere, just a weird problem I'm running into with Knald when trying to bake.

GPU: 980M

Do you get any sort of error message at all?
    Would you mind sending the meshes over so I can test them here?
    malcolm said:
    Hey guys, grabbed the new version, curvature maps look very blurry from inputted normal map. So does my old trick of using heightmap with max iterations of 1. Also thanks for putting in the bilinear filtering into the 2D view, but it appears kind of messed up, it has lots of aliasing and shearing when you zoom the image in and out. Now it's just a blurred pixelated 2D preview, so I think the unfiltered image was actually easier to look at.
    Hi Malcolm,

Did you get the same results for curvature on the previous builds? The curvature and normal to height code hasn't changed and I'm getting identical results for heightmap from 1.0 vs 1.1 here.
    Are cavity and convexity looking as they should for you?

What you are seeing in the 2d preview is currently unfiltered so I'm not sure what could be wrong if you are seeing something different.

Have you changed anything on your system such as drivers recently? Perhaps doing a clean driver installed and deleting the shader cache may help?
    https://www.knaldtech.com/docs/doku.php?id=clean_driver_installation

Please let me know how you get on.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey everyone,

New build ahoy! Has it been a month already? Fear not! another Knald beta release is upon us!

This release sees the addition of new 3d preview material presets, AA to MatID, new MatID palette options (random and Max Euclidean), the ability to scale the strength of normals post bake without seams via the Bumpscale slider (works on meshes without smoothing groups/hard edges) and a few bug fixes for good measure (including a bug where obj and fbx were rotated differently when used together).

New 3d Preview material presets

Post bake bumpscale at 100% (default) & 250%

knald_110_cust_betapng

Build Number: 20160106001 – January 6th, 2016.

New Features, Improvements and Optimizations
    • Added new 16xAA option for Material ID maps, with a toggle for Median AA.
    • Added new 16xAA option for Height maps, with a toggle for Median AA.
    • Added new Random and Max Euclidean palettes to Material ID.
    • Added the ability to scale the strength of normals post bake without seams via the Bumpscale slider (works on meshes without smoothing groups/hard edges).
    • Added new material presets to the 3d preview.
    • Added new default/fall back Knald Technologies folder in Documents.
    • Added Pow2 and Mul4 constraint support when manually editing baker size spin boxes.
    • Updated tooltips.
    • Miscellaneous improvements and optimizations.

Bug fixes
    • Fixed an issue when loading non-HDR panoramas in the 3d Preview were displayed incorrectly.
    • Fixed an issue where the Into tab's red channel max value was displayed incorrectly.
    • Fixed an issue where the Export Name didn't update when loading multiple normals in integrator mode.
    • Fixed an issue where obj and fbx were sometimes rotated differently within the baker.
    • Fixed an issue where the group modified notification didn't show correctly under some situations.
    • Fixed an issue where the last used load/export locations were not remembered correctly.
    • Fixed an issue where the user could crash Knald by closing the bake progress pop-up and initiate a secondary bake before the initial bake had completed.
    • Fixed an issue where the Material ID export settings were showing up outside of the baker mode.
    • Miscellaneous bug fixes.

You can grab the new beta build from https://www.knaldtech.com/knald-1-1-0-open-beta/

You can find build notes here: https://www.knaldtech.com/knald-update-build20160106001/

We really want to thank everyone for all the feedback we are getting for the Knald 1.1 beta! Please do continue  sending/posting everything you can! <3

• Pedro Amorim
    Winning! Downloaded and will try soon!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome! can't wait to try this!
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    That bump scale feature looks amazeballs!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I love Knald, we use it on every piece of art that leaves our studio. Will there be anymore updates for the photo to normal feature, that is the main tool we are using it for.

The copy paste is incredible, except sometimes it refuses to paste until you restart the software.
  • cgilbert
    malcolm said:
    I love Knald, we use it on every piece of art that leaves our studio. Will there be anymore updates for the photo to normal feature, that is the main tool we are using it for.

The copy paste is incredible, except sometimes it refuses to paste until you restart the software.

Thanks Malcom!

Is this still continuing to happen in the latest Beta? We recently fixed a few bugs related to it.

Also, when it fails next time, can you try to manually paste from the Edit menu?
    (As opposed to the hotkey)

This will help us narrow down if it's an issue with copy+paste itself or just an issue with our hotkey focus.

Thanks,
    Chris Gilbert
    KnaldTech Team
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't got the latest beta yet, but I did get the latest beta before this one. And yes I have to go into the edit menu to get it to work. I'll let you know if it still happens in the latest release. Would really love a seamless normal map blur option, and also an arbitrary normal map rotate slider.
  • myles
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, I tried the earlier beta versions of Knald and really liked it.

Also is there any support for inputting an object space normal map & lowpoly into Knald and then baking out all other maps from those?
    I didn't see any mention of a command line version of Knald? Is this something you guys are considering? To be able to supply it with a lowpoly & normal map and get curvature, AO ect. out of it would be perfect.

Cheers!
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I tried the beta on Windows 10, im getting an error asking if I have Opencl.dll
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey everyone!

Thanks for the kind words :)

@Myles, Currently Knald only supports Tangent Space normals in The Integrator, but it's possible we may support Object Space in some form in the future. I will add it the user wish list :)
    Batching is also on the list for a future update.

@Bugo,
    The missing OpenCL.dll error message means that for some reason your graphics driver has not correctly installed the OpenCL component of the driver runtime and isn't a specific error to Knald, but a general error that is being shown because Knald uses OpenCL, which fails to load as the dll is missing on your PC.

Could you please try a clean install of the latest GPU driver for your card please?
    https://www.knaldtech.com/docs/doku.php?id=clean_driver_installation

If at all possible it would be great if you could also send us a dxdiag report from the PCs that is affected by the issue.

You may also want to try installing the Intel OpenCL runtimes for your PC if you have an Intel CPU.
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#win64

Please let me know how you get on.

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I have a feature request that I think would be really helpful. Being able to save knald scenes with all settings and references. If I change a mesh and have to rebake at a later time, I can just load the knald scene and rebake without having to change any settings, since it will be setup the same as when I baked it before.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    BARDLER said:
    I have a feature request that I think would be really helpful. Being able to save knald scenes with all settings and references. If I change a mesh and have to rebake at a later time, I can just load the knald scene and rebake without having to change any settings, since it will be setup the same as when I baked it before.
    Hey Man!

If you are using the beta you can already save Knald's settings. :)
    You can save either via the button triplet found at the top right of each group or you can save to a .ksf file via Edit Menu> Save Settings> To File.

There are a bunch of keyboard/mouse shortcuts for saving too.

The keyboard controls for saving, cancelling & restoring your preferences within Knald are as follows:

Save Settings
    • To File - ALT+Shift+F6
    • Group - F6
    • Tab - CTRL+F6
    • Application - ALT+F6

Restore Saved Settings
    • From File - ALT+Shift+F8
    • Group - F7
    • Tab - CTRL+F7
    • Application - ALT+F7

Restore Default Settings
    • Group - F8
    • Tab - CTRL+F8
    • Application - ALT+F8

The mouse controls for saving, cancelling & restoring your preferences within Knald are as follows:

Save Settings
    • Group - LMB on Save button
    • Current Tab - CTRL+LMB on Save button
    • Application Wide - ALT+LMB on Save button

Restore Saved Settings
    • Group - LMB on Cancel button
    • Tab - CTRL+LMB on Cancel button
    • Application - ALT+LMB on Cancel button

Restore Default Settings
    • Group - LMB on Restore button
    • Tab - CTRL+LMB on Restore button
    • Application - ALT+LMB on Restore button

:)

• Chris Rohlfing
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Rohlfing polycounter lvl 9
    Are there future plans for having Knald on the Mac platform? 
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey Chris,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We would love to release Knald & Lys on the Mac & have had them both working on OS X on and off in the past couple years,  however it is currently unsuitable for release due to OSX’s poor support for newer OpenGL standards (we require OpenGL 4.3 and Yosemite & El Capitan only support 4.1 currently).

Our products are all developed with a cross-platform framework, and we hope the driver situation eventually improves on OSX to the point that we can deliver our products on it.

Cheers!

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using the latest version, each time I paste from clipboard as colour map albedo/vcols turns back on each time. I've tried saving settings for group tab, and application with it turned off, but each time I paste it turns it back on. Any fix for this?
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Also flipping green channel no longer seems to so you the inverted result in the 3D viewport, is that a new bug? Nevermind, clicked the wrong button for the green channel thing.
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Hey Andy,

I just bought Knald and I am absolutely amazed at the speed and quality of the bakes , great job guys!

However im facing problem while baking, when i export .fbx files that have multiple sub-meshes it only seems to read the first sub-mesh. I have found a workaround for it by batch exporting my high poly and attaching my low poly.  However it would be good to have both options.

Cheers!

Edit: Is it possible that it might be using the integrated gpu instead of my AMD card? I have been monitoring the gpu with gpu-z and it doesnt seem to have much usage during the bakes, where the processor is always at 100%
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    malcolm said:
    I'm using the latest version, each time I paste from clipboard as colour map albedo/vcols turns back on each time. I've tried saving settings for group tab, and application with it turned off, but each time I paste it turns it back on. Any fix for this?
    Hi Malcolm,

This is intentional as we assume that when people paste an image, such as a photo, they also want to see the colour information too. We can look at a way at disabling it in the future though.
    maxivz said:
    Hey Andy,

I just bought Knald and I am absolutely amazed at the speed and quality of the bakes , great job guys!

However im facing problem while baking, when i export .fbx files that have multiple sub-meshes it only seems to read the first sub-mesh. I have found a workaround for it by batch exporting my high poly and attaching my low poly.  However it would be good to have both options.

Cheers!

Edit: Is it possible that it might be using the integrated gpu instead of my AMD card? I have been monitoring the gpu with gpu-z and it doesnt seem to have much usage during the bakes, where the processor is always at 100%
    Hey Maxivz,

Thanks for the kind words! It's always nice to hear from happy artists!
    Sub-meshes for FBX is 100% on the list for a future update :)

You can tell which GPU Knald is using by going to the Info Tab and checking which GPU has ** next to the device name in the dropdown menu.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Knald 1.1.0 Released!

Since the initial 1.0 release of Knald we have been hard at work developing new features and adding improvements to Knald. The Beta has been underway for a while now and we think it’s about time we unleashed it into the wild!

What’s changed since Knald 1.0?

New Features, Improvements and Optimizations

• Added our new next generation baker.
    • Significantly upgraded 3d preview with all new IBL & PBR support with Metal & Smoothness workflow. Added ability to view Skybox, Color & Ambient backgrounds.
    • Added Exposure controls to the 3d preview.
    • Added Reinhard tonemapping to the 3d preview.
    • Added MSAA in the 3d preview.
    • Added free rotation to the 3d preview.
    • Added MatID support in the baker (MeshID) with user selectable colors or preset RGBCMY.
    • Added NGon support for imported meshes.
    • Increased the max number of HP meshes to 255.
    • Substantially improved the AA quality when baking AO.
    • Added support for custom FBX tangent space in the baker.
    • Added support for FBX vertex color baking.
    • Reorganised the Preferences tab.
    • Added an option in the preferences to show a warning message if Knald is exited before saving modified settings.
    • Increased online activation grace period from 7 to 30 days.
    • Added support for Cavity maps in The Baker.
    • Added support for Convexity maps in The Baker.
    • Added single a dual channel curvature maps to The Baker.
    • Added “P” hotkey for 3d preview viewport.
    • Added a new Lys style contrast slider to Concavity & Convexity.
    • Added a new settings/preferences management system
    • Added additional 3d preview controls to settings system.
    • Added low poly mesh refresh when mesh is modified externally. -You must hit bake for the changes to the mesh to appear in Knald.
    • Added next-generation DDS export including high performance support for BC6H/BC7/11_11_10 formats.
    • Added single channel image space curvature.
    • Added new 16xAA option for Material ID maps, with a toggle for Median AA.
    • Added new 16xAA option for Height maps, with a toggle for Median AA.
    • Added new Random and Max Euclidean palettes to Material ID.
    • Added the ability to scale the strength of normals post bake without seams via the Bumpscale slider (works on meshes without smoothing groups/hard edges).
    • Added new material presets to the 3d preview.
    • Added new default/fall back Knald Technologies folder in Documents.
    • Added Pow2 and Mul4 constraint support when manually editing baker size spin boxes.
    • Added support for copy/paste (CTRL+C/CTRL+V).
    • Added the ability to load/save Knald settings to a file (.ksf).
    • Updated documentation link from the help menu.
    • Improved Anti-aliasing quality on tangent space normals.
    • Mesh processing improvements.
    • The Knald Demo now supports the full 1.1.0 feature set.
    • Updated to latest FBX standard.
    • Miscellaneous improvements and optimizations.

Bug fixes

• Fix for issue where certain saved settings might not be persistent in some cases.
    • Fix for various modifier key sticking issues in 3d preview and settings cluster.
    • Fix for very large TIFF files (8k) not opening correctly in Photoshop.
    • Fixed a few minor GUI related issues.
    • Fixed an issue where some GUI element positions were not saved correctly in the configuration .ini.
    • Fixed an issue where under some circumstances baking -MeshAO in Integrator mode after using the baker caused a crash.
    • Fixed an issue where vertex colors were not rendered correctly for non-square textures.
    • Fixed some rare license authentication issues.
    • Fixed some small issues with the Curvature/Cavity and Convexity sliders.
    • Fixed issue where Copy/Paste breaks if you close the Copy/Paste popup.
    • Fixed an issue when loading non-HDR panoramas in the 3d Preview were displayed incorrectly.
    • Fixed an issue where the Into tab’s red channel max value was displayed incorrectly.
    • Fixed an issue where the Export Name didn’t update when loading multiple normals in integrator mode.
    • Fixed an issue where obj and fbx were sometimes rotated differently within the baker.
    • Fixed an issue where the group modified notification didn’t show correctly under some situations.
    • Fixed an issue where the last used load/export locations were not remembered correctly.
    • Fixed an issue where the user could crash Knald by closing the bake progress pop-up and initiate a secondary bake before the initial bake had completed.
    • Fixed an issue where the Material ID export settings were showing up outside of the baker mode.
    • Miscellaneous bug fixes.

You can grab the new from your account

You can find build notes here: https://www.knaldtech.com/knald-update-build20160124001/

We really want to really thank everyone for all the hard work and feedback during the Knald 1.1 beta! It's been a blast and we can't wait to do it again!
    Please do continue sending us suggestions & posting everything you can! <3

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah please remove that feature, wastes a lot of our time as you are going to trial and error the heck out of colour to normal inputs before you get the right image. Better yet just make the save feature for that tab work correctly and then people can have it either way. I'll just save that tab with my diffuse texture turned off if it worked.
  • pestibug
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Celebrations all around! Great work guys. I love where you guys are going with Knald, great feature list for this version. (Andy, you know what other small features I want :P )  I'll have to pimp some work soon that I've baked with Knald.
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Really loving the new features! Keep it up! 
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    malcolm said:
    Yeah please remove that feature, wastes a lot of our time as you are going to trial and error the heck out of colour to normal inputs before you get the right image. Better yet just make the save feature for that tab work correctly and then people can have it either way. I'll just save that tab with my diffuse texture turned off if it worked.
    I will see what I can do, Malcolm. Thanks for the input!
    pestibug said:
    Celebrations all around! Great work guys. I love where you guys are going with Knald, great feature list for this version. (Andy, you know what other small features I want :P )  I'll have to pimp some work soon that I've baked with Knald.

mikezoo said:
    Really loving the new features! Keep it up! 

Thanks for the kind words, guys :) Always nice to hear that people are enjoying what we are doing!
  • limeforce
    Offline / Send Message
    limeforce polycounter lvl 7
    Just tried the demo, seems amazingly good and fast! Now, you guys hinted at batching is coming. Looking forward to that, even just being able to hit 'Bake' and 'Export' programmatically would make for some very interesting workflow possibilities between Knald and a modeling app... Working on highpoly and lowpoly at the same time with one click near-instant bake feedback during the modeling process, anyone?
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Hey Andy,
    I have been trying different driver version but i wasn't able to fix this error. I am getting some artifacts on the viewport only on my low poly meshes, only when the mode is set to lighting. The high poly model works just fine. Here's a comparison between the two modes( i didn't actually bake anything, it was just a quick test to show the artifacts). I'm using a R9 390 and the 15.12 version of the drivers, newer betas don't seem to fix them either.
    Also really looking forward to batching :smiley: 

• metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    limeforce said:
    Just tried the demo, seems amazingly good and fast! Now, you guys hinted at batching is coming. Looking forward to that, even just being able to hit 'Bake' and 'Export' programmatically would make for some very interesting workflow possibilities between Knald and a modeling app... Working on highpoly and lowpoly at the same time with one click near-instant bake feedback during the modeling process, anyone?
    Thanks for the very kind words & suggestions! <3

I will make sure they added to our user wish list :)
    maxivz said:
    Hey Andy,
    I have been trying different driver version but i wasn't able to fix this error. I am getting some artifacts on the viewport only on my low poly meshes, only when the mode is set to lighting. The high poly model works just fine. Here's a comparison between the two modes( i didn't actually bake anything, it was just a quick test to show the artifacts). I'm using a R9 390 and the 15.12 version of the drivers, newer betas don't seem to fix them either.
    Also really looking forward to batching :smiley: 

Hey Maxivz,

When you say you didn't bake anything, do you mean just for the pics or at all for this mesh?

It looks like the textures from a previous bake are being displayed on this mesh where & UVs dont match up. Would this be possible?
    If you load a new low poly mesh the previously baked model's bakes will remain in memory and will be displayed on the new LP mesh until bake is hit.

Could you please PM or email me the HP and LP meshes you used? I would make it much easier to debug this. support@knaldtech.com
  • psykon
    Offline / Send Message
    psykon polycounter lvl 6
    The new features sound fantastic. I think I have to get myself one of those freelance licenses :)
    Great Work!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, so I'm trying to install Knald at home fresh format, don't ask. Anyways, where do I actually download the program I already have a license, but the website says

Knald 1.0 customers can download the 1.1.0 update via: Downloads & Licenses

You have not made any purchases

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    And nevermind, you must log in first, sorry rough morning.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Feature request, any chance we can see the viewport controls updated to Maya style, I'm getting old and there are way too many apps to remember custom panning controls.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    psykon said:
    The new features sound fantastic. I think I have to get myself one of those freelance licenses :)
    Great Work!
    Thanks for the kind words! Hope you enjoy working with Knald :)
    malcolm said:
    Feature request, any chance we can see the viewport controls updated to Maya style, I'm getting old and there are way too many apps to remember custom panning controls.
    No worries,
    I will see what we can do about adding multiple hotkey presets in the future. :)
  • chronic
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    I absolutely love the ability to bake Material ID maps in Knald, its a huge time-saver for me. But I have noticed a small issue, along the edges of some parts I get 1 pixel specs of color that does not belong. I guess this could be stray sample rays hitting an unexpected location but on some closed meshes it happens when it seems it should not. Help appreciated!

Example image:

• metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    chronic said:
    I absolutely love the ability to bake Material ID maps in Knald, its a huge time-saver for me. But I have noticed a small issue, along the edges of some parts I get 1 pixel specs of color that does not belong. I guess this could be stray sample rays hitting an unexpected location but on some closed meshes it happens when it seems it should not. Help appreciated!

Example image:

Thanks for the kind words, chronic. :)

Can you email or PM me the meshes used to bake with or similar meshes where you get the same issue please? support@knaldtech.com
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Hi,

I have a question regarding Knald.
    Is it possible to explode the LP and HP Meshes for normalmap baking but reassemble them for AO baking??
    I assume when importing an already exploded mesh the meshparts obviously dont occlude each other.

I dont want to bake the nomalmap outside of Knald, because the integrator makes the imported normalmaps very wobbly. Already tried all the different values. Baking normal with Knald gave me the exact same result as xNormal. So thats nice. But I need a proper AO and I havent found a solution for that.

Is it possible to just open a normalmap as it is? I mean without the integrator.
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    seems we dont have to explode meshes with Knald.  :o Just got some nice results without exploding. That would be awesome. Can someone confirm that?
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    defragger said:
    Hi,

I have a question regarding Knald.
    Is it possible to explode the LP and HP Meshes for normalmap baking but reassemble them for AO baking??
    I assume when importing an already exploded mesh the meshparts obviously dont occlude each other.

I dont want to bake the nomalmap outside of Knald, because the integrator makes the imported normalmaps very wobbly. Already tried all the different values. Baking normal with Knald gave me the exact same result as xNormal. So thats nice. But I need a proper AO and I havent found a solution for that.

Is it possible to just open a normalmap as it is? I mean without the integrator.
    defragger said:
    seems we dont have to explode meshes with Knald.  :o Just got some nice results without exploding. That would be awesome. Can someone confirm that?
    Regarding the wobbly normal maps, if you import with an alpha channel of the UV shells you should get decent results as the black areas of the alpha channel are pinned to flat.

Currently we don't have the ability to explode meshes within Knald itself, but it's on the list.
    If you want occlusion between all the high poly meshes together the only real way is to bake a unexploded mesh currently. You can of course check the "Ignore Backface Hits" option in the Baker AO group for things like floaters though.

In theory this means that currently you will need to bake in two passes (one exploded for the normals and one unexploded for the AO) to get what you want, though by the sounds of your second post you are getting great results already without the need for exploding :)

Hope that helps!

• defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Regarding the wobbly normal maps, if you import with an alpha channel of the UV shells you should get decent results as the black areas of the alpha channel are pinned to flat.

Currently we don't have the ability to explode meshes within Knald itself, but it's on the list.
    If you want occlusion between all the high poly meshes together the only real way is to bake a unexploded mesh currently. You can of course check the "Ignore Backface Hits" option in the Baker AO group for things like floaters though.

In theory this means that currently you will need to bake in two passes (one exploded for the normals and one unexploded for the AO) to get what you want, though by the sounds of your second post you are getting great results already without the need for exploding :)

Hope that helps!

I tried importing with alpha. Without alpha. With padding, without padding, with black background, with 128/128/255 background in 8 bit and in 16 bit ...... :/

Normalmap always gets completely destroyed by the Integrator. Its just a wobbly mess. Sadly the Concavity, Convexity and Curvature (which I need to generate from normal) are not suitable for further texturing like this. :|
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    defragger said:

Hope that helps!

I tried importing with alpha. Without alpha. With padding, without padding, with black background, with 128/128/255 background in 8 bit and in 16 bit ...... :/

Normalmap always gets completely destroyed by the Integrator. Its just a wobbly mess. Sadly the Concavity, Convexity and Curvature (which I need to generate from normal) are not suitable for further texturing like this. :|
    Can you post a picture of the normal map result you are getting please?
    It would also be great if you could post or send me the source normal map too, if that's possible.
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Can you post a picture of the normal map result you are getting please?
    It would also be great if you could post or send me the source normal map too, if that's possible.
    Yes. This is the screenshot from knald:

And this is the normalmap I´m using:

• defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    I think I have found a solution :D
    Checkbox "Flip Green" makes it WAAAY better :s How could I miss this. Somebody please hit me with a bat or something.