Home Technical Talk

Knald - Master Thread

Replies

• Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been using Knald for quite a while, enjoying the many features that have come with it. However, recently, I decided to update my computer to Windows 10, and for a while it was working out just fine.

I updated to Build 10532 and got this error message.
    OKIsdad.png

And I'm at a total loss.

I've tried to restart, redownload, remove the registry files in every aspect and bring it back, but it comes back with the same error. I'm not sure if it's technically the best option to download the DLL file for myself, but I'm getting antsy and willing to give it a shot.

Knald has, maybe unfortunately, become a great enhancement to the style that I've melded with my current project.

Any suggestions or clues as to what happened would be great.

Quick Update:

Decided to download the file, put it into System32, but now I have this cool new error.
    2yJGdPQ.png

I'll look through it, but it's not a total fix.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Dexyn wrote: »
    Been using Knald for quite a while, enjoying the many features that have come with it. However, recently, I decided to update my computer to Windows 10, and for a while it was working out just fine.

I updated to Build 10532 and got this error message.
    OKIsdad.png

And I'm at a total loss.

I've tried to restart, redownload, remove the registry files in every aspect and bring it back, but it comes back with the same error. I'm not sure if it's technically the best option to download the DLL file for myself, but I'm getting antsy and willing to give it a shot.

Knald has, maybe unfortunately, become a great enhancement to the style that I've melded with my current project.

Any suggestions or clues as to what happened would be great.

Quick Update:

Decided to download the file, put it into System32, but now I have this cool new error.
    2yJGdPQ.png

I'll look through it, but it's not a total fix.

It's most likely a driver issue by the looks of it. I'm running the latest Knald on Windows 10 and everything is working as expected here.

Can you please do the following:
    Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers!
  • Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's most likely a driver issue by the looks of it. I'm running the latest Knald on Windows 10 and everything is working as expected here.

Can you please do the following:

Cheers!

That's an amazing response time, I got rid of the file, which wouldn't of done me any good to keep around, but now I've run into the crux of the problem.
    I'm running driver 353.82, which is the only one that seems to continue to work with Substance Painter without it crashing constantly.

For now, it seems, I'm stuck running on an older driver until Nvidia itself fixes the issues that pervade.

The crux? I install the new driver, Knald runs fine and painter wrecks itself every other minute... Or I'm just stuck not using Knald for the moment.

Damn, that sucks. Still though, thanks for the response, greatly appreciated.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Dexyn wrote: »
    That's an amazing response time, I got rid of the file, which wouldn't of done me any good to keep around, but now I've run into the crux of the problem.
    I'm running driver 353.82, which is the only one that seems to continue to work with Substance Painter without it crashing constantly.

For now, it seems, I'm stuck running on an older driver until Nvidia itself fixes the issues that pervade.

The crux? I install the new driver, Knald runs fine and painter wrecks itself every other minute... Or I'm just stuck not using Knald for the moment.

Damn, that sucks. Still though, thanks for the response, greatly appreciated.

No problem, Dexyn. Glad to be of some help :)
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HaloAnimator polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, just bumping the thread here... looking forward to the next updates of Knald... I hope submeshes will make it into this program... it is very cumbersome to bake high detail textures one at a time.

Can we also have a feature that can mute the processing of a high res chunk?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hi HaloAnimator,

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Can we also have a feature that can mute the processing of a high res chunk?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you clarify please?

Cheers!
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi HaloAnimator,

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you clarify please?

Cheers!

Basically, if I don't want a piece of a mesh to render in Knald, I would love to be able to disable instead of just deleting it. It would help me immensely so I don't have to import it again.

Let's say, my low poly is not exploded, and my high res has multiple pieces, I want to be able to disable the high poly meshes of my choosing and just render the ones that are enabled.

Also, speaking of submeshes, I would love to see if I export my FBX files with the meshes named ending with the suffix _low, I would love to import the high poly models with the suffix _high. The meshes would have to be the same name, just with suffixes provided.

Example: MonsterHead_low, MonsterHead_high... it is case sensitive. This feature would eliminate tracing errors and also eliminate exploding your mesh beforehand. And if the mesh pieces has materials on them, it would be vital to be able to bake that into a clown map.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Hey,

I'm getting an issue with some baking... I dont know if its my general noobness around Knald or what.

Left is Knald and right is Xnormal. On a V joint panel i seem to be getting some weird perspective bake.. I have been trying to figure this out for a while now. Adding supporting loops helps, but I can get the bake I want using the original geo just fine in Xnormal. I found that adjusting the range to be lower helped to fix the issues but then cropped half the high poly bake.

CgZQtoJ.jpg

Am I just n00bing out or is something else at play here....

Cheers for help.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Basically, if I don't want a piece of a mesh to render in Knald, I would love to be able to disable instead of just deleting it. It would help me immensely so I don't have to import it again.

Let's say, my low poly is not exploded, and my high res has multiple pieces, I want to be able to disable the high poly meshes of my choosing and just render the ones that are enabled.

Also, speaking of submeshes, I would love to see if I export my FBX files with the meshes named ending with the suffix _low, I would love to import the high poly models with the suffix _high. The meshes would have to be the same name, just with suffixes provided.

Example: MonsterHead_low, MonsterHead_high... it is case sensitive. This feature would eliminate tracing errors and also eliminate exploding your mesh beforehand. And if the mesh pieces has materials on them, it would be vital to be able to bake that into a clown map.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification!
    Hey,

I'm getting an issue with some baking... I dont know if its my general noobness around Knald or what.

Left is Knald and right is Xnormal. On a V joint panel i seem to be getting some weird perspective bake.. I have been trying to figure this out for a while now. Adding supporting loops helps, but I can get the bake I want using the original geo just fine in Xnormal. I found that adjusting the range to be lower helped to fix the issues but then cropped half the high poly bake.

CgZQtoJ.jpg

Am I just n00bing out or is something else at play here....

Cheers for help.

Thanks for the report, Josh.

I can't see any reason why you would be getting more skewing within Knald than xNormal, so I would have to check out the mesh for further debugging.
    I don't suppose you could upload the mesh and the settings you are using for the bake could you? Feel free to PM me with download details if you don't want to post it on the thread.

Cheers!
  • bmobius6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bmobius6 polycounter lvl 7
    Out of curiosity, what is the correct method for baking out a Vertex Color Map? I've tested repeatedly but I'm still getting nothing to show up on the Vertex Color tab. I'm exporting my high poly with the vertex color information as FBX as well as a UV'd low poly as FBX. I can see Knald 1.1.0 processing, however my low poly turns black in the 3D view when I select Vertex Color instead of Lighting.

Where might I be goofing up?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    bmobius6 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what is the correct method for baking out a Vertex Color Map? I've tested repeatedly but I'm still getting nothing to show up on the Vertex Color tab. I'm exporting my high poly with the vertex color information as FBX as well as a UV'd low poly as FBX. I can see Knald 1.1.0 processing, however my low poly turns black in the 3D view when I select Vertex Color instead of Lighting.

Where might I be goofing up?

Hey bmobius6,

Currently we only support vertex colours in the form of Polypaint from ZBrush, but are planning to add regular vcols asap. I assume that you are trying to bake regular vcols?

Cheers!
  • bmobius6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey bmobius6,

Currently we only support vertex colours in the form of Polypaint from ZBrush, but are planning to add regular vcols asap. I assume that you are trying to bake regular vcols?

Cheers!

That's exactly what I was attempting to do. Thank you for getting back to me about my issue. I can't wait to be able to create masks, material IDs, and base diffuse/albedo maps straight out of Knald. The current maps I'm baking out are just incredible when compared to xNormal and Substance Painter. I'm especially a huge fan of the dual-channel Curvature Map baking.
  • CGJohnCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just bought Knald today but the when I load everything for the baking, the preprocess and intergration are greyed out. I registered the product and all but I cannot bake a single thing or get the lowpoly and cage to come up in any preview. Anyone have any ideas, Xnormal takes too long.
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys... quick question... Is anyone getting these weird flakes on their texture bakes in Knald... I am on Windows 10 and I have never seen these flakes before, though it seems to only happen on the curvature map. I am also using a decimated high poly mesh...

here is an image of the flakes...

EDIT: The maps are appearing correct now... but the flakes on the head mesh still remain...maybe if I export a version of the head high poly that is NOT decimated.
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    I havnt used knald a whole lot but im wondering if is it possible to render out a material id mask using the new fbx export settings (export polygroup as material or sset) in zbrush 4r7. this workflow works great already in substance painter and was wondering if this is possible in knald?
  • bmobius6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just bought Knald today but the when I load everything for the baking, the preprocess and intergration are greyed out. I registered the product and all but I cannot bake a single thing or get the lowpoly and cage to come up in any preview. Anyone have any ideas, Xnormal takes too long.

I'll take a stab at this...

1 - Open Knald 1.1.0.
    2 - File > Load Baker.
    3 - Under "Bake Meshes", load your High Poly mesh and Low Poly Mesh.
    4 - Under "Bake Targets", select the map you want to create and hit "Add Map" to add it to the list of maps you want to create. OR to quickly get a handle on Knald 1.1.0, just hit "Add All"!
    5 - The "Pre-Process " Button should be lit now. Give it a press.

This should open up the 3D View with your Low Poly mesh. Sit back for a second or two while Knald does it's magic. After it's done, you'll be all set and can take a look at the various maps by clicking on the appropriate tab.

At this point, you should also be able to view your cage and adjust it to get a perfect bake. Once the cage is exactly where you want it, hit Bake again to quickly re-bake all the maps.

Quick bit of advice for you as well: There's no need to update the Integrator with the maps you've baked. You can export them out as-is!

I hope this was helpful.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply! I have been ask for a few days and finding a reliable internet connection has been almost impossible.
    That's exactly what I was attempting to do. Thank you for getting back to me about my issue. I can't wait to be able to create masks, material IDs, and base diffuse/albedo maps straight out of Knald. The current maps I'm baking out are just incredible when compared to xNormal and Substance Painter. I'm especially a huge fan of the dual-channel Curvature Map baking.

No problem! We are happy that you are enjoying the new additions to Knald. More to come soon:)

Hey!

Can you confirm that you have added bake targets? If you don't select which maps you want to bake then the button will remain ghosted.

Under the bake meshes group you will find the bake targets group- in which you can add the maps that you want to bake. Just select the type of map you want to bake in the dropdown menu and then click the add button. Alternatively you can also just hit "Add All" which will add all the currently available bake targets to the stack.

Please let me know if this fixes the issue you are having.
    Hey guys... quick question... Is anyone getting these weird flakes on their texture bakes in Knald... I am on Windows 10 and I have never seen these flakes before, though it seems to only happen on the curvature map. I am also using a decimated high poly mesh...

here is an image of the flakes...

EDIT: The maps are appearing correct now... but the flakes on the head mesh still remain...maybe if I export a version of the head high poly that is NOT decimated.

This is quite a common problem when using decimated meshes and is due to the "flaked" faces being concave, which causes shading issues on said faces. The faces can actually fold over themselves which causes serious shading issues locally. The only fixes are to either not decimate, use less aggressive decimation or manually move the overlapping vests by hand unfortunately.
    Boonta wrote: »
    I havnt used knald a whole lot but im wondering if is it possible to render out a material id mask using the new fbx export settings (export polygroup as material or sset) in zbrush 4r7. this workflow works great already in substance painter and was wondering if this is possible in knald?

We will be adding MatID soon but the final spec. has yet to be finalised so I can't give any firm answers unfortunately. Hopefully it won't be long before everyone can test it out. :)
    I'll take a stab at this...

1 - Open Knald 1.1.0.
    2 - File > Load Baker.
    3 - Under "Bake Meshes", load your High Poly mesh and Low Poly Mesh.
    4 - Under "Bake Targets", select the map you want to create and hit "Add Map" to add it to the list of maps you want to create. OR to quickly get a handle on Knald 1.1.0, just hit "Add All"!
    5 - The "Pre-Process " Button should be lit now. Give it a press.

This should open up the 3D View with your Low Poly mesh. Sit back for a second or two while Knald does it's magic. After it's done, you'll be all set and can take a look at the various maps by clicking on the appropriate tab.

At this point, you should also be able to view your cage and adjust it to get a perfect bake. Once the cage is exactly where you want it, hit Bake again to quickly re-bake all the maps.

Quick bit of advice for you as well: There's no need to update the Integrator with the maps you've baked. You can export them out as-is!

I hope this was helpful.
    Bingo! Thanks for the detailed reply :)
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is quite a common problem when using decimated meshes and is due to the "flaked" faces being concave, which causes shading issues on said faces. The faces can actually fold over themselves which causes serious shading issues locally. The only fixes are to either not decimate, use less aggressive decimation or manually move the overlapping vests by hand unfortunately.

I unfortunately ended up using the 22m triangle model and I got the CLEANEST curvature map I have EVER seen. Now I am tempted to just import all of my high res meshes, offset them, and bake.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I unfortunately ended up using the 22m triangle model and I got the CLEANEST curvature map I have EVER seen. Now I am tempted to just import all of my high res meshes, offset them, and bake.
    That's what we like to hear! I'm glad you approve. :)
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what we like to hear! I'm glad you approve. :)

I sure do... once we get sub mesh baking (so we don't have to explode models), Knald will pretty much be perfect :)
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I'm having some problems with the program. Would appreciate some help :]

I've got a high poly sculpt done in ZBrush, and a low poly with soften edges except for UV borders which are hard.

I plan on using the mesh in Unity, so I baked TS and OS normal maps in Knald from high to low (I will then convert the OS to TS with Handplane3D to use in Unity just to make sure it in sync), but when I load the TS normal to generate the other maps in Knald (AO, concavity, convexity) the hard edges are causing some issue, and I'm left with ugly visible seams on my mesh.

I've also tried to bake in Xnormal using Farfarer's Unity tangent basis calculator, but when loading the normal into Knald I get the same result, the exported maps are showing ugly seams.

I'm viewing my mesh + maps in Toolbag 2.08

Do I need to soften all edges on my low poly in order to use this program?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Tzur_H wrote: »
    I'm having some problems with the program. Would appreciate some help :]

I've got a high poly sculpt done in ZBrush, and a low poly with soften edges except for UV borders which are hard.

I plan on using the mesh in Unity, so I baked TS and OS normal maps in Knald from high to low (I will then convert the OS to TS with Handplane3D to use in Unity just to make sure it in sync), but when I load the TS normal to generate the other maps in Knald (AO, concavity, convexity) the hard edges are causing some issue, and I'm left with ugly visible seams on my mesh.

I've also tried to bake in Xnormal using Farfarer's Unity tangent basis calculator, but when loading the normal into Knald I get the same result, the exported maps are showing ugly seams.

I'm viewing my mesh + maps in Toolbag 2.08

Do I need to soften all edges on my low poly in order to use this program?

Hi!

The seams you are getting are probably because you are generating the concavity, AO etc. from the normal map rather than baking them along with the normal maps.

You can bake all the maps found within "integrator mode" while in The Baker (and more), you just need to add all the correct targets :)

https://www.knaldtech.com/docs/doku.php?id=the_baker_knald#bake_target_settings

Fwiw, Knald always retains the vertex normals of the imported meshes so you shouldn't need to worry about that part :)

Hope that helps!
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Hi!

The seams you are getting are probably because you are generating the concavity, AO etc. from the normal map rather than baking them along with the normal maps.

You can bake all the maps found within "integrator mode" while in The Baker (and more), you just need to add all the correct targets :)

Fwiw, Knald always retains the vertex normals of the imported meshes so you shouldn't need to worry about that part :)

Hope that helps!

Thank you, it works :]
    I love how fast it is to bake and generate the maps, really awesome program!

Right now the normals are in MikkTspace right? Do you plan on adding an option for Unity / custom user written calculators?

Also, I'm using the demo version right now, was wondering if there is a non commercial (student) license?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Hi, I just downloaded the trial and am trying to use it having issues. It doesn't seem to load in my high poly models. The low seems to be in fine and shows in the viewer, but they high ones won't show when I tick the box to show thema nd the 'pre process'and 'update integrator' buttons are greyed out. Any idea what's going on? Cheers.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thank you, it works :]
    I love how fast it is to bake and generate the maps, really awesome program!

Right now the normals are in MikkTspace right? Do you plan on adding an option for Unity / custom user written calculators?

Also, I'm using the demo version right now, was wondering if there is a non commercial (student) license?

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, we use MikkTSpace in Knald. We don't plan on adding other tangent spaces atm, but the next version will have an option to use the tangents from an FBX.

The Freelancer version is currently the only option for non-studio work, other than educational institutions.
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Hi, I just downloaded the trial and am trying to use it having issues. It doesn't seem to load in my high poly models. The low seems to be in fine and shows in the viewer, but they high ones won't show when I tick the box to show thema nd the 'pre process'and 'update integrator' buttons are greyed out. Any idea what's going on? Cheers.

Hi Mongrelman,

Have you added bake targets? If you don't select which maps you want to bake then the button will remain ghosted and the HP meshes wont show until the pre-process button has been hit.

Under the bake meshes group you will find the bake targets group- in which you can add the maps that you want to bake. Just select the type of map you want to bake in the dropdown menu and then click the add button. Alternatively you can also just hit "Add All" which will add all the currently available bake targets to the stack.

Please let me know if this fixes the issue you are having.

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Andy,

That's fixed it; I was only going to bake a normal map to test so selected that but didn't click add map. It's working now and I'm very impresssed with the initial bakes.

I've had an issue with cages though; when I used the push slider it would offset the cage down and to the back and the range would split the cage into two and moved them apart. I loaded in my own cage and had similar issues. I went back and forth a few times and seem to have somehow fixed it so push actully inflated the default cage. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone else has this problem appear.

Cheers.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Hi Andy,

That's fixed it; I was only going to bake a normal map to test so selected that but didn't click add map. It's working now and I'm very impresssed with the initial bakes.

I've had an issue with cages though; when I used the push slider it would offset the cage down and to the back and the range would split the cage into two and moved them apart. I loaded in my own cage and had similar issues. I went back and forth a few times and seem to have somehow fixed it so push actully inflated the default cage. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone else has this problem appear.

Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Regarding the cage issue you had, it sounds like you need to pre-process/bake again. Each time you change any of the meshes it invalidates the mesh cache which can cause the issue you had.

If you are still getting the issues after rebaking etc. please feel free to PM me with the meshes and we would be happy to take a look. :)

Cheers!
  • fly06bzh
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hi fly06bzh,

The problem you are getting is due to a bug in the GPU drivers and can be fixed by performing a clean install of a more recent driver.

You can read more about the issue and how to fix it in the links below.

Hope that helps!

• fly06bzh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my bad, my drivers doesn't want update, i have dl drivers on the nvidia website, and now all is functionnal thx a lot
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    No problem, fly06bzh! :)

Looks like MikkTSpace is in Unity as of 5.3 :)
    https://unity3d.com/unity/beta

• HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Metalliandy, any word on the next version of Knald...? I am itching to try out some of the latest features you guys have cooked up...
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    @HaloAnimator
    The next beta for Knald shouldn't be that long I hope. It's quite the upgrade too :)
  • bmobius6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HaloAnimator
    The next beta for Knald shouldn't be that long I hope. It's quite the upgrade too :)
    Hooray! Any clues as to what we can look forward to in the next update/upgrade? I can't even begin to express just how awesome Knald is and I am SERIOUSLY looking forward to the next wave of fixes, innovations, and features that are in store for artists!
  • Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knald has an issue when it comes to the updates in Windows 10. The official release of this November has broken Knald altogether. 

This is something that I was worried about each time I tried to update to an insider preview build and subsequently had to retract due to Knalds incompatibility. Originally I was going to make note of this but decided to hold back until it would be an issue for everyone updating Windows 10.

Everything is fully updated but it insists that I should reinstall the program to fix the missing OpenCL.dll. I hope that the incoming update fixes this issue; if not, it will render Knald useless.
  • bmobius6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dexyn said:
    Knald has an issue when it comes to the updates in Windows 10. The official release of this November has broken Knald altogether. 

This is something that I was worried about each time I tried to update to an insider preview build and subsequently had to retract due to Knalds incompatibility. Originally I was going to make note of this but decided to hold back until it would be an issue for everyone updating Windows 10.

Everything is fully updated but it insists that I should reinstall the program to fix the missing OpenCL.dll. I hope that the incoming update fixes this issue; if not, it will render Knald useless.
    Ack! That sounds pretty bad. I'm running it on Windows 10 myself and have not had that issue at all. I know this sounds silly, but have you tried a clean install of Knald?
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Hmmm, not sure what's up, but nothing is rendering for me at the moment. The 3d preview even refuses to open :hushed:

Any ideas?  Running the latest windows version, latest amd beta drivers etc.
    EDIT:
    Managed to fix it myself by deleting KnaldBeta.ini in "Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Knald Technologies"

• Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bmobius6 Got a brand new laptop due to my other laptop having some strange GPU issues, but asides from that, completed a brand new load up of Windows, updated and all.

Everything seems to be working just fine now. I guess it just needed a full boot to the head. Thanks for the suggestion. My fear of a re-installation not working has been assuaged despite my tries from before.
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had some very strange issues when Knald wasn't baking my transmission maps... strange indeed.
  • bmobius6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dexyn said:
    @bmobius6 Got a brand new laptop due to my other laptop having some strange GPU issues, but asides from that, completed a brand new load up of Windows, updated and all.

Everything seems to be working just fine now. I guess it just needed a full boot to the head. Thanks for the suggestion. My fear of a re-installation not working has been assuaged despite my tries from before.
    Woo! I'm glad you got the issue figured out. I'd hate for you to be missing out on what Knald can do!
  • Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, looks like my computer isn't going to run Knald anytime soon. The only reason it worked on the other machine is because it was a fresh install on the newest windows build update. 

If it was previously installed all I get is the error message OpenCL.dll is missing. I'm not sure what to do about that, and yes, this is after several computer restarts and about 3 reinstalls of the program.

Looks like I won't be running Knald for awhile.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey everyone.

Sorry about the late reply. I haven't been receiving updates to this thread since the forums were upgraded. I'm currently trying to figure out why...
    bmobius6 said:

Hooray! Any clues as to what we can look forward to in the next update/upgrade? I can't even begin to express just how awesome Knald is and I am SERIOUSLY looking forward to the next wave of fixes, innovations, and features that are in store for artists!
    Nothing I can share yet, but it's a biggie :)
    Dexyn said:
    Well, looks like my computer isn't going to run Knald anytime soon. The only reason it worked on the other machine is because it was a fresh install on the newest windows build update. 

If it was previously installed all I get is the error message OpenCL.dll is missing. I'm not sure what to do about that, and yes, this is after several computer restarts and about 3 reinstalls of the program.

Looks like I won't be running Knald for awhile.
    I'm sorry you have been having problems.
    The missing OpenCL.dll error message means that for some reason your graphics driver has not correctly installed the OpenCL component of the driver runtime and isn't a specific error to Knald, but a general error that is being shown because Knald uses OpenCL, which fails to load as the dll is missing on your PC.
    Fwiw, I'm currently running Windows 10 here without any problems, but I will be sure to keep an eye out for possible issues.

I have a few questions if you would be so kind.
    1. What kind of GPU and what version of the driver do you currently have?
    2. Have you tried a clean install of the latest driver for you GPU?

Could you please follow the steps found in the link below?
    https://www.knaldtech.com/docs/doku.php?id=clean_driver_installation

If you are running an AMD GPU please make sure that when you do a clean install of the GPU that you select the "Custom" installation option as without it the OpenCL.dll can fail to install correctly.

You may also want to try installing the Intel OpenCL runtimes for your PC if you have an Intel CPU.
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#win64

I had some very strange issues when Knald wasn't baking my transmission maps... strange indeed.
    Can you give us any more information about this issue please?
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever the issue was, it seemed to have fixed itself... weird...
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Ok, cool. Thanks for letting us know :)
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    If I buy Knald freelance license, how does updates / upgrades work? Do I get free updates up to the release of next major version release (2.0) ?
    Also, can I have the program installed on multiple machines?  Like with marmoset Toolbag or Substance programs?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hi Tzur_H,

Knald 1.1.0 and other future Knald 1.x.x releases will be available to Knald customers free of charge and may be activated on up to 2 machines at a given time, but it must be used by the same user both machines.

Hope that helps!

• Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Metalliandy This may go way deeper than I could imagine, as of now it's working again after I reactivated it through the opening screen through the authentication process. For whatever reason, without this screen, it'll reset the OpenCL.dll issue.

Beyond that, there's further technical issues with this computer. I'm never able to update NVIDIA Drivers without completely uninstalling the previous version, and I've been unable to explain this phenomena, no matter where I look. It's a small frustrating dilemma with this machine.

Otherwise, it works again for now. I'll just, hopefully, have a better way of dealing with this strange hardware/software related issue in the future.

GPU: GE Force 780ti
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Dexyn said:
    @Metalliandy This may go way deeper than I could imagine, as of now it's working again after I reactivated it through the opening screen through the authentication process. For whatever reason, without this screen, it'll reset the OpenCL.dll issue.

Beyond that, there's further technical issues with this computer. I'm never able to update NVIDIA Drivers without completely uninstalling the previous version, and I've been unable to explain this phenomena, no matter where I look. It's a small frustrating dilemma with this machine.

Otherwise, it works again for now. I'll just, hopefully, have a better way of dealing with this strange hardware/software related issue in the future.

GPU: GE Force 780ti
    Thanks for keeping us up to date on this.
    I really cant think of any reason why you get the OpenCL error when Knald isn't authenticated, as that process has nothing to do with the GPU driver, but I will pass the info along to the team and see if they can think of anything.

Glad to know you got everything working in the end. :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey everyone,

New build ahoy! After four months of working behind the scenes we are happy to release the new Knald Beta!

This release is huge with a massive upgrade to the 3d preview with all new IBL & PBR support (Metal/Smoothness workflow), Material ID support added to the baker, MSAA support in the 3d preview, NGon support, improved AA quality when baking AO, custom FBX tangent space, support for FBX vertex color baking and more!

Build Number: 20151207001– December 8th, 2015.

New Features, Improvements and Optimizations
    • Significantly upgraded 3d preview with all new IBL & PBR support with Metal/Smoothness workflow.
    • Added ability to view Skybox, Color & Ambient backgrounds.
    • Added Exposure controls to the 3d preview.
    • Added Reinhard tonemapping to the 3d preview.
    • Added MSAA in the 3d preview.
    • Added free rotation to the 3d preview.
    • Added MatID support in the baker (MeshID) with user selectable colors or preset RGBCMY.
    • Added NGon support for imported meshes.
    • Increased the max number of HP meshes to 255.
    • Substantially improved the AA quality when baking AO.
    • Added support for custom FBX tangent space in the baker.
    • Added support for FBX vertex color baking.
    • Reorganised the Preferences tab.
    • Added an option in the preferences to show a warning message if Knald is exited before saving modified settings.
    • Increased online activation grace period from 7 to 30 days.
    • Updated the Beta documentation.
    • Updated tooltips.
    • Miscellaneous improvements and optimizations.

Bug fixes
    • Fixed some rare license authentication issues.
    • Fixed some small issues with the Curvature/Cavity and Convexity sliders.
    • Fixed issue where Copy/Paste breaks if you close the Copy/Paste popup.
    • Miscellaneous bug fixes.

You can grab the new beta build from https://www.knaldtech.com/knald-1-1-0-open-beta/

You can find build notes here: : : https://www.knaldtech.com/knald-update-build20151207001/ 

We really want to thank everyone for the feedback we are getting so far regarding the Knald 1.1 beta improvements so please do continue  sending/posting everything you can! <3
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THIS...IS...FREAKING...SWEET!!! I will definitely have to take the new mesh ID for a spin. Thank you guys for the new build, Knald is shaping up to the standard in baking tools... And hopefully in the next build, we can find a way to bake by mesh name/suffix so we don't have to explode meshes for a trace free bake... overlapping parts is something I would love to avoid in the baked textures.