Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Overgrown Room - Scene

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
Heyo, thought it might be a good idea to actually post something that I'm working on to get some input from you guys.

I'm currently working on a scene which is intended for my portfolio (which I haven't updated in far too long). Anyway, here's the moodboard:
moodboardovergrownroom.png
I've however focused 90% (so far) on the middle-bottom picture. I fell in love with it and wanted to make it, pretty much!

Here's my current progress:
mE2Bhrm.png
Shooting for a hopefull mood and a little story for the one paying attention. Not much to feedback on right now but wanted to start posting right away.

Actually though, I'm wondering how you guys would deal with the plaster on the walls? I'm trying out decals (using UDK), but don't feel you can generalize plaster like that.
shBvesu.png
Would it be better to throw the entire wall into Zbrush and make the whole thing into a giant texture? Any other way?

Thanks

Replies

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    Looks promising...i would say probably vertex painting is the way you want to go
  • CarlCraft
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I'll try that out. It's tough making a nice damaged plaster texture, though! Having a hard time finding tutorials for it, aswell. Any tips?
    Also, thanks!
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't tried it my self, but just looking at it, it seems you should be able to get some good results by playing around with render clouds in PS, play with the levels, and take it into the filter gallery...and then tweak it from there....so....haha let me know if that works for you :D
  • CarlCraft
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, first update gogo
    Ak05wvI.png
    Still not that much to say I guess, just wanted to keep this updated.

I'm kind of rushing things right now. I've got a deadline by Friday (it's for school), so my plan is to get this in an atleast presentable order, pass, and then revisit pretty much all of it 'till I feel it's a worthy portfolio piece!
  • CarlCraft
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so this is the Final of this scene that I will be presenting in my school work. I have a summary to write till tomorrow, so I figured get the scene done today and start wirting on the summary.
    Enough of boring details, here goes:

qRqbLEM.jpg

It might look okay, but I'm not very happy with it. Pretty much all of the textures were shat out with cgtextures and ddo (first time using ddo aswell), so there's that. The lighting is pretty much fugged up aswell, see the pipe to the left for example. The foliage makes me want to vomit, all of the windows share the same texture, the tree looks silly, the door is way too clean etc.

I might post some proper self-feedback, but that will probably wait untill I have time to fix this thing. 'Cus I will go through it all till I'm happy with the results!

Anyway, any feedback is much appreciated!
  • CarlCraft
    Offline / Send Message
    (accidental double-post, how to delete? durr)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you did pretty well!
    The only things i would say is that your spec map on the walls and door look a bit strong and do not reflect the material type that you were aiming for

also the plants look a bit bent? if you get what im trying to say, also the material shader on them doesnt really do them justice....it looks like you tried to implement SSS, but the spec on the plants is off i feel they look more like plastic than real plants...but good effort overall i think it came out nice :D
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you did pretty well!
    The only things i would say is that your spec map on the walls and door look a bit strong and do not reflect the material type that you were aiming for

also the plants look a bit bent? if you get what im trying to say, also the material shader on them doesnt really do them justice....it looks like you tried to implement SSS, but the spec on the plants is off i feel they look more like plastic than real plants...but good effort overall i think it came out nice :D