Home General Discussion

How Many AAA Character Artist Positions Are There in our Industry?

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Are you sure Arena Net has 14 Fulltime employees? I recall they were looking for a lot of 6 months contractors not too long ago.

They are definitely NOT all full-time/salaried... but I'll let someone else give a more accurate report.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    woogity wrote: »
    square is who i was referring to specifically im pretty sure they have no character art staff at this location not sure about any art staff for that matter. does the microsoft studio in reading have art staff? im unsure. ok so there are a few more than i guesstimated but really not many to say 40 is definitely out there, unless i have a more strict definition of whats AAA compared to some.

Square have developers in London, but I don't believe the studio there works on any specific project. I suspect they are mostly technical.

Microsoft's game staff in Reading are entirely technical (hence 'additional game staff in Reading' rather than listing it as a studio).

The rest are all studios with projects and teams.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Well if the numbers aren't disheartening enough, I just realised pretty much all these figures cover filled positions.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Snacuum wrote: »
    Well if the numbers aren't disheartening enough, I just realised pretty much all these figures cover filled positions.

It is "just" the inhouse numbers, there are plenty plenty plenty more around, heck for half a year now we had a bigger character art department than riot has, and i'd call us very small. Not sure how Riot does their characters these days but they used to outsource quite a load, looking at stuff from plenty polycounters for League of Legends.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    very interesting thread,
    for the latest info, I think there is at least 30 character artists positions total for ubi montreal, not too far the current numbers. I am at cyanide now, we where we are 3 character artists. I am betting theres quite a bunch of smaller companies that have similar setup.
    thanks for the research!
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    Anybody know the numbers at avalanche in salt lake? It any of the studios in that region. Great thread to shore my classes, THANKS GUYS!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    6 of us at Digital Extremes now
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you are only allowed to be a character artist if you are handsome and cool. that's why there are not many of them.
    if you hire too many the other lesser artists get jealous:)( no i am serious)