Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

World of Warcraft Paladin Fanart

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Delira polycounter lvl 4
Hi, I started to work on a second WoW fanart. This time I challenge myself to make a full body of my paladin character.
Here are first stages of sculpt. Will add more soon.

wip_01_delira.jpg
wip_02_delira.jpg
pala_00_delira.jpg

Replies

• Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    This goes slow but I learned some new things meanwhile!

wip_03_delira.jpg

Btw here's a printscreen from the game with the actual character. Using it as reference & I feel that it's going to take me forever.
    delira_wow_paladin.jpg
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    It's good that you are using subtools, but it needs more perhaps you should tighten up the body a bit more, you know, define the figure 8's in the arms and sharpen up the hands for a couple you know?
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    As you got painting skills it could be better to modelize and texture the lowpoly directly, don't need a highpoly, old school ^^. I'm sure you'll save some time.
  • CSOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to consider modeling all of your hard surface pieces in max or maya before you jump into zbrush. The armor will look alot less "melty" and you'll have more control over the silhouette
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    Texelion wrote: »
    As you got painting skills it could be better to modelize and texture the lowpoly directly, don't need a highpoly, old school ^^. I'm sure you'll save some time.
    Perhaps :), but I also want to get some nice detail in the end and learn some new stuff on the way.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Texelion wrote: »

I think this depends. It could work out really well for an initial AO or value pass for the textures. If I'm not mistaken the art dump for some League of Legends characters were made initially in ZBrush just for that reason. I will say though that I agree with CSOConner regarding your base for ZBrush. It's not to say that you can't model 100% in zbrush with the different tools, but I feel that if you had a stronger base it may look better and less lumpy.
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    praetus wrote: »
    I think this depends. It could work out really well for an initial AO or value pass for the textures. If I'm not mistaken the art dump for some League of Legends characters were made initially in ZBrush just for that reason. I will say though that I agree with CSOConner regarding your base for ZBrush. It's not to say that you can't model 100% in zbrush with the different tools, but I feel that if you had a stronger base it may look better and less lumpy.
    I do intend to make a retopo at a point, but for now I feel better working like this. :)
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    More progress. I decided to just add up all the elements for now and then start cleaning and fixing.

wip_04_delira.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Keeping an eye or two on this ;)
    What brushes do you use to get that clean-looking result ? Like, her shoulder armor.
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    awesome work,:D same question with pyrzern, been looking for a way to get cleaner looking sculpts, are those custom brushes or with alphas?
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Keeping an eye or two on this ;)
    What brushes do you use to get that clean-looking result ? Like, her shoulder armor.
    chudork wrote: »
    awesome work,:D same question with pyrzern, been looking for a way to get cleaner looking sculpts, are those custom brushes or with alphas?
    Hi and thank you :)
    For a cleaner look I use a lot of TrimDynamic and Smooth Brush.
    Overall I'm using ZBrush brushes with default settings, but for shoulders I created Alphas and made several custom brushes. I might make some more for other parts.

AngelHead_Brush_by_Delira.jpg
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    I taken quite a long break from this. I recently started to continue the work on my paladin fanart by defining some armor parts.
    I have few more steps to complete and then I'll start retopologize everything.

glove_by_delira.jpg

belt_by_delira.jpg
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    Everything looks a bit too muddy for a hard surface. As CSOConnor said, you may want to consider using maya or 3dsmax to do the armor. I would definitely suggest a lot more cleaning up before you start with the low poly.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    *Jumping around happily that this get continued*
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    Make the shoulders bigger! :D
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    ClusterOne wrote: »
    Everything looks a bit too muddy for a hard surface. As CSOConnor said, you may want to consider using maya or 3dsmax to do the armor. I would definitely suggest a lot more cleaning up before you start with the low poly.
    I'm going to get it into 3DsMax once I feel its ready for retopo.
    PyrZern wrote: »
    *Jumping around happily that this get continued*
    Thanks so much for support, helps a lot :)
    Saiainoshi wrote: »
    Make the shoulders bigger! :D
    At this point the shoulders needs more parts. When I'll add all of them they'll definitely look bigger. :)
    . . . . .

Hi guys! Feels like it's been ages... Here's more progress to the torso. The torso it's not ready as this point.
    Sadly I won't be able to work on it this month, because I have to finish other projects that actually pays the bills :)
    Though I will finish it this year!

wip_05_by_Delira.jpg
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    I had tons of work and no time for complex personal projects, but I got a bit of time and here's some more progress.

• Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    Figured I should also post the print screens I used for this. (These print screens are made before WoW revamp)
    Renders coming up...

• Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    Hi guys!
    This took ages, I know! 
    I worked on this WoW Fanart from time to time when I got the chance and I decided to stop at this stage.
    Right now the whole model it's a dynamesh sculpt.
    As much I would love to texture it, I'm afraid I don't have the time for it,  but I'm happy of how it came out and what I learned from it :)
    I recorded the whole process and I hope to have soon a turnable :)

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    A lot of the edges on the armor could be slightly softened for better normal bakes.  Otherwise, this is loooking dope.