Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How to draw character shadow maps?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
So for a while now, I've been drawing character shadows and while they're sort of legible, I want to stop guessing them and actually know the right way to go about drawing them.

I've learned one technique to drawing shadows is through a vanishing point. See this:
iDwJKLAqsxDre.gif

While it's good for drawing simple stuff like a box, how do I do the same for characters who have much more form? Especially when they could be holding stuff like a gun or wearing a backpack?

Example: See how the goblin's entire appearance and their sword is represented in the shadow as opposed to being a blob or something less real.
ioDDYxqOWOsNx.jpg

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    this is like a programming question right? on real time shadow ray tracing or something? I have no idea, but i hope you find your answer I'm interested to know!
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    No, no! It's not suppose to be programming! I just want to be able to draw (like actually pencil and paper) full body shadows like you see in real life.

Maybe "shadow map" sounds technical but I thought it was a layman term for any projected shadow. I'll edit the title if that was the confusion.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Unless you're looking to impress people with your perspective construction skills, use a reference or just eyeball it
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Just look where the light is coming from, then draw the silhouette of your character flat on the ground, perpendicular to the lightsource

then check how high and far the lightsource is away, and adjust the lenght of the shadow . Works like a reflection if I think about it. Low angle = long reflection, high angle nearly no reflection

In photoshop, quick and dirty way = dublicate character, make it black, and transform it on the ground
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I'm trying the photoshop method but in his duplicate profile, it doesn't actually match the position of the sword or the gaps were his arms should be. I guess I could adjust it manually but I'm worried I wont understand the next time why it would be right (without a reference).
    ibzmJApf48f8yM.jpg
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Yeah that won't work unless you've got a front lit scene.

What you were doing above with the box exercise is the correct way to construct shadows. Do that exercise with increasingly more complex objects and with multiple lightsources and on irregular surfaces, it will improve your ability to guess where shadows should be and get convincing results.

When quality is important though, just use a reference...
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You're not doing the photoshop thing right.

This is how you do it:

QuickAndDirtyShadow.gif
    1 - original screenshot
    2 - painted out the shadow to have an 'unshaded' image to work from
    3 - paint the silhouette of the character
    4 - use the 'distort' tool to convert the silhouette to something that appears to lie on the floor, with a bit of guessed perspective.
    5 - get rid of the parts of the shadow that overlap the character, and you're done.

Mind you, that's still not a proper/accurate shadow, but it's good enough in a pinch.

Though you might be better off just estimating how the shadow falls by imagining how the rays from the run interact with the three-dimensional shape of the character. Because this photoshop trick doesn't really teach you how light works, it will feel a bit flat, and it actually costs a bit more time than a good artist quickly painting down a rough shadow shape.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    JordanN wrote: »
    While it's good for drawing simple stuff like a box, how do I do the same for characters who have much more form? Especially when they could be holding stuff like a gun or wearing a backpack?
    well, the box example is really the fundamental knowledge. to carry it to that screenshot, you'd start by plotting out the perspective of the scene with a grid. then plot the sun position according to that grid, that'll be your light vanishing point.

since the sun's basically at optical infinity (really far away), your shadow vanishing point will be underneath it and on the horizon line.

drop some guide lines straight down from any overhanging limbs or whatever that the character might have (basically major silhouette points) and intersect them with the ground plane. this is an extra step you have to do which you don't have to do with the cube, because it's a rectangular prism to start with. if you're using 3-point perspective then these guide lines should be aligned to the "vertical" point.

draw lines from the shadow VP through those silhouette points you plotted on the ground, and draw lines from the light VP through the corresponding points on the actual figure. the intersections should be where the silhouette points fall on the shadow.

do a reasonable number of those and connect the dots.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    JordanN wrote: »
    No, no! It's not suppose to be programming! I just want to be able to draw (like actually pencil and paper) full body shadows like you see in real life.

Maybe "shadow map" sounds technical but I thought it was a layman term for any projected shadow. I'll edit the title if that was the confusion.

hahah ok my bad!
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Ok Amsterdam, I took your advice to the best of my ability. Though the position of the sun had me slightly concerned.

The characters are being lit on the right so the sun would be outside the picture. I took your advice of the vanishing points being both on the horizon and underneath literally, assuming that was the correct way to problem solve this.

Edit: Oh man, getting the light vanishing point to line up with the shadow is hard because it's only on the horizon.
    ibbvS6Hw8r0fg5.jpg
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    this may help convey the idea better. its really quick and rough, i'm just trying to get the idea across, i just fucked in the horizon line and didnt bother putting a grid down etc

Xn6NQlS.jpg