Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

run down city environment

Replies

• ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThinkKlinck polycounter lvl 8
    I think you've got a good point here dude. I'm gonna make that door and then give this a go. It shouldn't be too hard to make these tweaks to all the big stuff and almost everything is using a few main textures that can be cleaned up. Plus it could be a fun little experiment at the very least with a bit more color :) thanks!

PS: thanks for being a bit "bold", I would be a bit foolish to not consider the advice of someone in the industry right? Thanks :)
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, finished the door, but after I did it drove home that my other textures are too busy. I'm gonna go in and clean em up, making the grime and filth more purposeful.
  • SeedyRom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the bomb-diggity! I love the feel of this enviro. I really like the decision to go with a warmer lighting scenario. I think it's easier and more obvious to "blue" up an environment like this to make it look and feel mechanical, but you don't need it to do that because that story is already told in the environment itself. Instead of deadening the scene with cool colors you have brought it to life with warm colors and that is awesome!
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeedyRom wrote: »
    This is the bomb-diggity! I love the feel of this enviro. I really like the decision to go with a warmer lighting scenario. I think it's easier and more obvious to "blue" up an environment like this to make it look and feel mechanical, but you don't need it to do that because that story is already told in the environment itself. Instead of deadening the scene with cool colors you have brought it to life with warm colors and that is awesome!

thanks! If you're into it now just wait till you see it with the textures revamped. It's coming out really well so far :) Thanks again Chris!
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So heres a real update. Replaced the door, changed up pretty much all the main textures to be purposefully dirty (see the bricks gathering stuff under each one, you get the idea). Vertex painted some of the concrete buildings the stairs with some black drippings. Oh and I added these little red hanging flags all over because I like to think some dignitary strolled up in his hot steam powered cart and you need to have your flags out for him. Anyway, leme know what yall think! :)

a8w93k.png
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    You have anti-aliasing turned on in this? Just wondering
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have anti-aliasing turned on in this? Just wondering

I do not, looking at it now in my post process, and wondering what type I should go with, FXAA1-FXAA5? and if theres a certain threshold I should set it to, by default its on 12. Or should I not have it on at all?
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    I always use FXAA5, tends to work best. Not sure what the others do really but it shouldnt matter. You can try playing around with it, but at least have it on :P
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    will do man :) edited the last post to have it with it on haha
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some more tweaks from a few mates and calling it finished. Final touches include roughed up the the closer concrete and tweaked the spec for some of the pipes. Thanks to you all for the advice! You've all been very helpful. Look for the ode to the community on the far back water tower. :)

last minute edit to the railing :) by request of therealfroman

EfCeV7c.jpg