Home Technical Talk

Transferring new UVs to characters that have multiple subtools in ZBrush

I'm having trouble coming up with an intuitive way to transfer new UVs to characters that have multiple subtools.

When i'm done sculpting I've been using the SubTool Master plug-in since it allows me to easily export all of my SubTools at once instead of doing it one at time. I prefer to do my UVs outside of ZBrush since I prefer the control of Headus UVlayout and Maya.

The process I find painful is when I'm bringing these newly UV'd pieces back into ZBrush to replace their original UVs. As far as I can tell there is no option to easily import multiple .objs back into ZBrush and have it transfer the new UVs for all of your subtools. I find that disappointing since there's the aforementioned function to export multiple .objs.

Currently, my workflow is to import each .obj in individually, one at a time, making sure to have the correct subtool selected. If I have a character with 50 subtools this becomes incredibly tedious, especially if I later have to tweak my sculpt and then re-adjust the UVs.

There's got to be a better way to do this. It'd be great if you could export multiple subtools as one .obj and then be able to import it back in as one .obj without having to split it just for the purpose of transferring UVs. Am I missing something or is this the only way to shuttle UVs back and forth for an object with multiple subtools?