Home Unreal Engine

UDK Landscape Streaming level Scult

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Chicken Dip polycounter lvl 8
Hi, i am currently attempting to make a large map in UDK and i am finding myself with some difficulty. I am using level streaming, but would like to be able to make the two stream-able levels to match correctly. Basically, is it possible to sculpt on both different terrains at the same time? Or if i sculpt on the landscape is it possible to slice it in half and save each piece as a different map? Please help and thank you in advance.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You can set parts of the same landscape to stream in different sub levels. So you don't need two landscape actors.
  • Chicken Dip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Sprunghunt, thanks for the reply, but see what i need to be able to do is sculpt on both terrains so that i can have the terrain touching or at least matching up correctly without having to constantly switch between landscapes to sculpt on and try my luck and getting the map to match up perfectly. The reason i would like to do this is because the map will be very much skyrim style, large open world space... so i would like to make the seams touch so you cant notice the streaming. Is this possible? Maybe i did not make my message clear on the last message, if so i apologize thanks again
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I'm saying don't use two terrains. That's the solution. The landscape system is designed for large terrains and can be split up across streaming maps exactly as you describe. Just don't use more than one.

Here's what you need:
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LandscapeEditing.html
    Move to Streaming Level

This tool moves the selected components, via using the Selection tool, to the current streaming level. This makes it possible to move sections of a Landscape into a streaming level so that they will be streamed in and out with that level, optimizing the performance of the landscape.
  • Chicken Dip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi sprunghunt, thank you for your response, sorry i did not understand at first but i get it now. I am trying to create something skyrim online in term of map style, basically i will have continents and so on, and the largest size of the map in UDK (4033x4033) wont be large enough for it all. I noticed you said dont use more than one landscape, i am curious as to why?