Home Dota 2

Fletch's Workshop

I've lurked polycount for a while, made an account well after that and lurked even more. Now I guess I will come out of the shadows and post a little.

New to sculpting and texturing but I'll be doing my best to learn as I go :)

(Cleaning this post up until I decide what to do with it, up to date stuff is always the last post)

Replies

• darkdeathknight
    Lol i love the name of the DK set.
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently sculpting out the wood for the lower half of the chest. Thinking I like a more stylized wood over a realistic texture for this. Feel free to stop by my stream and yell at me, I should be on all day :D

WtunP5M.jpg
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    hm, would a chest like that be too bulky for a ward which is typically tall and thin? I think the idea is good, but a ward's silhouette would probably a lot more like a square chest sitting on a pedestal imo.

Also, hi fletch - I remember you from way back when on joindota haha
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    hm, would a chest like that be too bulky for a ward which is typically tall and thin? I think the idea is good, but a ward's silhouette would probably a lot more like a square chest sitting on a pedestal imo.

Also, hi fletch - I remember you from way back when on joindota haha

Hi :) and yeah I am addressing the ward issue with a resized chest, and only a single eye inside.

Updated with current sculpt and progress - Need to finish inside of the lid, and make an eye for it :D

k49oxLs.png
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current progress on Ward. Needs masks and animations and some polishing based on ingame render effects :)

KUzad3U.png
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol concept... Let my viewers pick a hero for me to do a weapon for and brainstormed it on my stream. Got a rough idea sketched out and am going for it :D

And here is the current progress... I think I am around 30,000 polycount right now, slowly working my way to around 4-5 million for this vertebrate probably...
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current progress of the Whale bone weapon for slardar. Sculpting in details of second bone, and then binding both bones to staff with seaweed, as well as carving in some seaweed grips where his hands will go.
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jade Guardian Courier WIP - High Poly sculpt pretty much done, finished retopo and now onto UV Unwraps and texturing/rigging/animating :D

LIfMSY9.jpg
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wushu Inspired Juggernaut Weapon... Planning on a red to orange color scheme coming from the dragon's mouth, with yellow highlighting the edge like in the default juggernaut weapon. Still undecided on color scheme of dragon and handle. Beginning retopo now, hoping I can get this all under 300 x)

Tk74ZT2.jpg
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the item in-game, with the particle mesh accepted as well, but the particle effects for a Jugg blade just aren't lining up correctly :\ Once I get that sorted out, or an alternative to it, I can make my promo shots and place it on the workshop x)
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some render shots in HLModelviewer and made do with ingame shots even without the particle mesh running correctly x)

Imperial Dragon's Curse
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually did this courier a few months ago, and have had it waiting for the tournament it was made for. Now, Netolic East is coming up and it will soon be released :D . Concept and Texturing was done by Esaxil.
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Juggernaut blade is being reworked, now that I've learned how to use the crease tool in Zbrush :)

I am also putting a lot more effort into my texturing process, and advertisement process. Hopefully as I become more skilled at 2d Art, I can help my 3d shine.

Still struggling to get my particle mesh to display in-game so I can make proper in-game promotional shots of the blade with the particles in the right area.

2QgDnd6.jpg
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP Sculpts of an Axe and Furion set. Furion Set is own Concept and Work, Axe set is concepted by my friend Brock, and I am slowly working on polishing up a sculpt of it.

hGytTPC.jpgoQebBjU.jpgxPLvloe.png
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Fletch wrote: »
    WIP Sculpts of an Axe and Furion set. Furion Set is own Concept and Work, Axe set is concepted by my friend Brock, and I am slowly working on polishing up a sculpt of it.

The fur details (maybe leaves on NP?) are way too small and are just going to come across as noise in the game. They need to be a lot bigger. We had a similar discussion on another thread about this:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130419
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    The fur details (maybe leaves on NP?) are way too small and are just going to come across as noise in the game. They need to be a lot bigger. We had a similar discussion on another thread about this:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130419

Yeah I've been wondering about that throughout the process, but at the same time I kind of want to see how it turns out in the texture. I'm not exactly going for the big thick fur of a bear, more like the short coarse fur on a deer, and I don't really know how to do that without just leaving the shawl flat across it. Not something I really want to do :\ I was hoping with some tip highlights and shading in the valleys, I could maybe do something similar to what it feels like they did with Ursa fur.

Recently, I've been back to the Juggernaut blade. I reworked my topology once again, and started back through the texturing process, addressing any mapping issues with actual mesh fixes instead of just trying to smudge them out.

Lots of reading, but not quite as much understanding is going into really learning how the normal maps, etc. are made and what they actually do. I've received a lot of help from the guides and people of Polycount, though, and am actually getting really happy with the results I have achieved so far.

Big big big thank yous to the people behind Handplane and Marmoset. Both have been extremely helpful to me in answering questions, as well as providing such amazing programs.

Here is what I've gotten so far, but I am really looking for any critiques or feedback, as I really am a texturing noob :poly142:

Low-Poly, Diffuse and UVs
    R1hcgbX.jpg
    Mask 1
    hBEzurS.jpg
    Mask 2
    r7eBZCA.jpg
    Normals
    pZATPh0.jpg

And finally the base Beauty Render of the low poly in Marmoset using 3 point lighting as best as I could make it :p
    dpT74LU.png

I think I am ready to really work on the marketing images now, and hopefully get some in-game shots set up :)
  • salonicios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salonicios polycounter lvl 4
    nice work fletch, i am trying to get particles on a ward i made a month and over ago, but nothing till now, if anything comes to your ears about adding particle effects at wards let me know.
    I tried with pcf extention, i tried rewriting the qc file while in testing ward, i also tried with model and _fx postfx like a hero weapon but till now nothing came up.
    I use the same name at steam !