Home Technical Talk

Mudbox projection painting problem

GoK
GoK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
GoK polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys. So I am using the export screen to PSD feature in mudbox to do some painting on a model. The problem i have is that the model is mirrored. When i paint across the seam down the middle in photoshop and import that into mudbox I get horrible artifacts for as far as iv painted over the seam... very annoying. Is there anyway to force mudbox to only paint on one half of a mirrored model?

I seem to remember having this problem years ago with deep paint and im sure there was a fix for it I just cant remember for the life of me what it is..

Thanks in advance!

-jody

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    if your UVs are mirrored then obviously the paint will automatically update where that UV is shared. you can just export the half of the model with the unique UV to paint on but i doubt that will help. you could turn down edge bleed (preference-paint) and see if that has any effect.

some screenshots would help understand the problem better. if you cant show the current project, show something similar with the same problem.

anyways, mudbox doesnt force you to paint symmetrically. you can just turn off symmetry while you paint.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Think iv figured it out! I detached the mirrored parts of the model in max. Imported both halves into mudbox and "locked" the mirrored half. It has fixed the problem so far but one issue is my mirrored half that is "locked" is shaded darker in the mudbox viewport (not a huge issue) can i lock it and still have it rendered normally without being darkened ?

PS your portfolio is great MM!

Thanks

-jody
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    if the mesh is separate and you are painting with symmetry off why would you need to lock it ?

anyways, you could try putting a different material to that mesh and create a new paint layer on that and select that layer and lock it. this way you still see the object in regular shading but you wont be able to paint on that object since active layer is locked.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    The reason is, as i explained, im using Photoshop to paint using the export screen to PSD feature in mudbox.