Home Technical Talk

Lazy Nezumi Pro - mouse and pen smoothing in PhotoShop and other apps!

Replies

• kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Lazerus, it means a lot! :)
  • Valerien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About pie menus : Krita, which is open source, features a great pie menu. It's really fast, in 3d toolsets like Maya or Modo (hopefully in blender too, soon), it makes a huge speed difference.

The intuos Pie menu are unfortunately slower than keyboard shortcuts most of the time. It's not as fluid as it may seem. More than a pie menu, in photoshop specifically, I'd mainly be looking for a quick shortcut box, like the one Jonas De Ro's working on.

And while I'm here, hi there Guillaume ! I said I'd come back on Polycount, and here I am ;) !
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    You guys haven't said what you actually want the pie menu for in LNP.
    Would it be for replacing the preset drop-down list?
    Have you tried Mini Mode? Cause that's kinda similar. The window opens up when you move your stylus over it, and you can pick a preset. One click, done. No need for special key presses.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.05.13 is now available!
    This update fixes a bug that was preventing some users from saving or renaming their presets.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    One thing that happens that is a little annoying:

Using multiple monitors and you press the "Mapping Screen Exchange" button on the Wacom, then launch PS/LZ it will reset to the default screen. So I have to press the "Mapping Screen Change" button.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Having another issue with LNP. This is the latest version.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Lamont: What's the issue exactly? Can you send me an email? It's easier for me to track support questions then.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I've created some presets that will help you draw perspective correct lines!

Check out the mini tutorial here:
    http://guillaumestordeur.deviantart.com/art/Perspective-Line-Constraints-with-Lazy-Nezumi-Pro-455355918
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Can you make it so the browser will stay on top when photoshop is on top, and go behind when photoshop goes behind?

Like, its annoying cause I have it on another screen and use it when I'm using photshop, but say when i'm browsing the internet, its like, right ontop of the browser. Can you make flow with photoshop? Like, stay ontop of everything when photoshop is being used, then go behind everything when photoshop is not being used?

If that makes any sense?
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I'll see if I can do something like that.
    But can't you just minimize it when you don't need it? :)
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    is there a reason it stops working with the eraser?
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    EZ: do you have the eraserTool bypassed in Lazy Nezumi's Photoshop Options?
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih wrote: »
    EZ: do you have the eraserTool bypassed in Lazy Nezumi's Photoshop Options?

Lol just realized I had disable on pen eraser, cheers dude.
  • PaulStyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've done a terrific product. It looks impressive. But really need version for MAC. When will a version for MAC? I will immediately buy this version
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Paul: I'm currently doing some experiments on an old Macbook to see if a port is possible or not. There is no ETA at this point.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.06.14 is now available!
    This fixes a couple of bugs, and adds a bunch of new distortion modes.
    I've made some new presets that use them, you can get them here: http://lazynezumi.com/presets
    Some of them are quite useful: straight lines, radial lines, concentric ellipses, and even perspective lines!
    Let me know what you think! :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.06.17 is available!
    I've added two new builtin input variables for distortion scripting: ex, ey. These are the coords of your last stroke's end position. I've added 2 new Constraint modes that make use of these: "Straight Lines - Connected", and "Connected Ellipses".

I also added misc/noise which behaves exactly like the old LazyNezumi noise feature!

http://lazynezumi.com/news
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.06.26 is available!
    New On/Off button, overlay messages, and bug fixes!
    Some people were complaining that it wasn't clear if it was on or off before. I think it's pretty clear now! And that button is impossible to miss with your pen. Hope you like it! :)

http://lazynezumi.com/news

lnpNewUI.gif
  • SUPAVISI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SUPAVISI polycounter lvl 7
    Just bought the app, love it. Problem though, lines seem jagged :/

5yhz5d.jpg
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Supavisi: which tablet model do you have, and which driver version? Some recent Wacom drivers can cause this in Photoshop (even without LNP). On my FAQ I recommend trying an older driver: http://lazynezumi.com/faq
    Please send me an email if you're still having trouble.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Supavasi - That has nothing to do with the Lazy Nezumi. Set the spacing of your brush in photoshop to 1. That will make your brush strokes nice and smooth.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    Lazy Nezumi is a joy to work with, thanks for all the rad updates you've been making

I guess I still use it pretty basically, but one thing that I'd really love is if there was any way to record and playback a stroke in screenspace. Zbrush allows you to do this and as I jump back and forth between it i find that i miss that functionality. Some examples of uses would be if you perfectly drew the stroke you wanted for something like a stitch brush, but then you decide the stitches are too big/small, so you want to replay that stroke with a different brush size.

you can basically think of its potential uses as if photoshop could record brush strokes as actions.

I'm not sure how exactly you're currently doing all this, but if it's at all possible to store the stroke information for later use without crazy redesigning, I think that would allow for a lot of previously impossible workflows :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    You're welcome Funky, glad you like it! :D
    I'll try to see if stroke record/playback is possible, and if so I'll add it in a future update.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    With the last update and addition of the on/off button, the mini-mode window appears to be much bigger/taller. It might be an optical illusion I'm seeing, but there is a lot of useless space under the on/off button and preset that could be culled. For instance I don't need license info shown in that mode.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Good points Derek. I'll try to cut some space under the button, and I'll remove the license text in Mini Mode.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome, Thanks!
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    This sounds like a life changer. Gonna try it out.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there again -

Something just crossed my mind. Since you seem to have some control over cursor display (as shown by the super useful cursor display toggle ! Still loving this and using it every day :) ), would there be a possibility to implement something like what is shown in the following picture ?

ScreenShot2014-07-01at112731PM_zps7592b388.png~original

Simply put, some kind of custom crosshair clearly showing the vertical and horizontal axis near the cursor. And of course it would be awesome if this was somehow compatible with the "no cursor" option - maybe by fading out the crosshair in its center ?

This would be extremely useful when painting any object with symmetrical features - even in perspective. For instance, it would help when checking the horizontal alignement of eyes, without having to zoom all the way out.

By the way, this was part of a series of Wacom hacks that this guy implemented out of frustration a little while back. Some interesting stuff in there !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijiFI3QIuE
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Pior!
    That's a really cool vid! Looks like he did a bunch of things that LNP also does.
    The foot pedal idea is pretty cool, and I like how he can easily go into his line constraint options. This gives me a lof of ideas... :)
    As for the mega crosshair, I'll look into it. (and if I can do this, I can make lines that go to the vanishing points for my perspective presets...)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Dado, I haven't tested that feature in Manga Studio. I'll do that right now.
    But yeah, some applications completely turn off the windows cursor and render their own, so if that's the case, there's not much I can do.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I bought it like 2 months ago and my carpal tunnel old-man hands thank you! I just looked and it says "pro" so I guess i'm all set (updated to latest version... i hope)

It is one of those things I wish I always had.... especially for logos and what not (though honestly I use Max for a ton of that stuff).
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks rv_el, I'm glad it helps! :)
    Dado: I can confirm that the custom cursor doesn't work in Manga Studio. They are probably disabling the windows cursor and rendering their own.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find myself using the moving average more and more with a zbrush Hooked window lately- its a pretty awesome alternative to turning on lazy mouse, was just wondering if there was anyway you could make it not hook for the zbrush viewport controls as it feels kind of more drunk than usual using a moving average while navigating the mesh, maybe a exclusion zone of somesort.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    EZ: ZBrush only has one window. So it's impossible for LNP to know if you're over the canvas or the tools. I'd have to add some sort of inclusion zone, but then what happens if the user moves things around in the app? Sounds like a headache. It's probably simpler if you just configure a shortcut to enable/disable LNP, and disable it when you're not drawing.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih wrote: »
    EZ: ZBrush only has one window. So it's impossible for LNP to know if you're over the canvas or the tools. I'd have to add some sort of inclusion zone, but then what happens if the user moves things around in the app? Sounds like a headache. It's probably simpler if you just configure a shortcut to enable/disable LNP, and disable it when you're not drawing.

works for me cheers for the tip :thumbup:
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    LNP version 14.07.07 is out!

Based on user feedback, I made the On/Off button a little smaller, and made other UI space optimizations, especially in Mini Mode.

You can now also choose which presets to show in Mini Mode with the "Presets->Show in Mini Mode" menu setting. This is useful if you're starting to have lots of presets, but mostly use a small subset.

Starting with this version, the preset shortcuts are saved in a separate file, to remove conflicts when sharing presets with other users.

This version also fixes a minor refresh bug with the overlay messages.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Pior, check this out! ;)
    lnpOverlayCrossHair.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /happytapdance :D
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I'm also going to move the guide-line rendering to this overlay window.
    This will be a lot better, and no more fiddling with that OpenGL setting. It should just work for everyone, over any software.
    I'll make available a test build when it's ready, so you guys can help me test it.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow man. You continue to impress with the speed and willingness to add new features.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    nyx: some things are easier to do than others. [looks to the side at his Macbook and sighs]
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So - how does the megacursor feel so far ? Do you feel like it effectively helps when working ?
    (the gif makes it look very useful and practical already but I wonder how it felt for you in practice)

Can't wait to try it !
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I think this could be pretty useful for technical drawing.
    Especially once I rig it up to the constraint tools.
    In perspective mode for example, I could draw lines to the vanishing points, which would be pretty cool.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    So now that I have a brand new overlay system in the works for LNP, I thought I'd move my guide line rendering code to it. This will finally make guide lines compatible with any application!
    Here's a sneak peek of the new dynamic pulled-string guide line! :)

lnpNewPulledString.gif
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are we ever seeing an OSX version of LNP?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    technokill wrote: »
    Are we ever seeing an OSX version of LNP?

+1 to that question.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    There will be an OSX port IF it's technically possible. I'm still learning and doing research. When there's any news, I'll make an announcement.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Pior and friends:
    What kind of options do you guys want for the Mega Crosshair of Doom? (also let me know if I should change the name)
    Since it will be rendered on the overlay layer, it could be a separate setting. So you could have your original cursor, or custom app cursor visible or hidden, and have the mega crosshair on top of it.
    Also, should it touch in the middle always? or not when you're drawing?
    Should I just release something so you can play with it first?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a little hard to imagine without trying it firsthand, but I would think that some kind of fading near the center could be a useful option to have, like this :

megacursor_zps03cc6c82.jpg~original

And then I suppose : opacity and choice of color ? But like you said, maybe it's best to just experiment with a barebones version first, to see how it feels ...

Exciting stuff !!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Ok. I'm gonna try to get you a test build by tonight.
    If this keeps up, I'm going to have to have a separate window for all the settings, instead of putting everything in the Settings menu...