Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge August 2013 (10)

Replies

• steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    tkfxity wrote: »
    Ive been procrastinating recently so ima kick it into high gear and finish this before the end of the month. Here are some WIP shots

Detailed View
    uT6TG4g.jpg
    Textured View
    ndBcYWe.jpg

Looking promising, try adding some more sharp edges to your crystal. It's looking a little soft at moment
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
  • Sushifish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sushifish polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys! Nice work from everyone, cant wait to see them all finished.

I am sorry that I have not posted and discussed more during this challenge i gave the scene all i had with the little spare time I had.

Here is a Wip, hope to finish it tonight.

2vw6044.jpg
  • konraden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konraden polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good ppl :) Fun to see different versions coming together.
    Ive put some time in this project this weekend, but it still needs alot of work, will be a stressfull saturday to fininsh this up :)

I think Im gonna stay with yellow textures and let the lighting do the blue tint over the inner circle.
    Just put it into udk and starting to do the lighting. Here´s a shot before any lighting.
    noob_challenge_handp_wip03.JPG

Still need to paint the textures alot better and do a wall texture + do the shop meshes and generally just start to paint the textures into something nice.

Ive cut the upper floor, prolly wont have time to add it.

Trying to learn how to do some decent lighting in UDK. Took me a while to realize that if I have the materials beeing emissive the lights color wont show much.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Sushifish wrote: »
    Hi guys! Nice work from everyone, cant wait to see them all finished.

I am sorry that I have not posted and discussed more during this challenge i gave the scene all i had with the little spare time I had.

Here is a Wip, hope to finish it tonight.

2vw6044.jpg

I like this a lot but I think you should really tone down the crystal glow and bring it more like the concept, I think that would help the scene a lot!
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Hi everyone, sorry was unable to post progress as my laptop is not handling UDK well. Though will be completing this as much as i can.

1229862_394140807375396_673251646_n.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current WIP

@steppan - I redid the HP to give it harder edges, not sure if its hard enough yet tho, but looks better then the last.

YFRjy9S.jpg
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess only one person managed to finished it :D so far by the looks of it. Congrats

:)
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    davidosterlind polycounter lvl 5
    This will be my last update before posting the final image, hopefully tomorrow, so please crit!

lgdx.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @david - one of the legs on your bench is floating in the air :D
  • Subtle 1rony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    Ah, you've got bad benches, better start over ;)

The concept has a more dreamy and hazy feel, maybe a tweak to the post processing could achieve that? I wish the rocks on the path coming towards the picture plane had more edging or depth so they didn't look so flat.

But seriously, it looks really great so far
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tkfxity, I think its weird, the leg actually goes through the ground. I heard that people have had shadow-issues like this before in cryengine. I just don´t know how to fix it. Anyone?

@Subtle, Thanks! I wish I could do some proper displacement mapping, I think I need to have DX11 to do that, witch I don´t :( Ill see what I can do with the normals
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My current WIP crit welcome!

TCqOCn1.jpg

fGXI99g.jpg
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tkfxity, I think its weird, the leg actually goes through the ground. I heard that people have had shadow-issues like this before in cryengine. I just don´t know how to fix it. Anyone?

@Subtle, Thanks! I wish I could do some proper displacement mapping, I think I need to have DX11 to do that, witch I don´t :( Ill see what I can do with the normals

try changing the shadow bias - i don't have the engine open right now, but there should either be in the environment or in the light's settings be a value that you can tweak for this!
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak wrote: »
    try changing the shadow bias - i don't have the engine open right now, but there should either be in the environment or in the light's settings be a value that you can tweak for this!

Thanks! That did it!
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tkfxity, Looks like good progress! I like the addition of water in places, fun. Try to tweak your lighting to match the concept more, to a more evenly lit room with warmer colors, blue and green hues. Your crystal really stands out as the focal point, which is nice. The top floor balconies looks to small in comparison, especially in height.
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know how to create a material in cryengine that doesn´t receive shadows?
    Preferably I would like to keep the original ilum as well as my light setup minus the shadow being cast on that particular mesh. Is it possible?
  • Sushifish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sushifish polycounter lvl 6
    I love the progress on all the projects that have been posted, it was a great challenge! it was fun to follow this thread, hope to see you again in future monthly challenges.

Here is my finished product. I decided to go with more of a rough look than the handpainted one.

1zocneg.jpg

28jfclh.jpg
  • StephLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephLee polycounter lvl 12
    That looks amazing Sushifish, excellent job dude.
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great challenge! Good job everyone! Its great to see so many takes on the same concept. Here is my Final.

n95h.jpg

w72b.jpg
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    mmm.....yep. lol. Great job man, I love how you got it even down the the sig in the corner :p

-edit, I thought one of them was the concept lol, it's still awesome and very faithful.
  • konraden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will see if I get any more time to put into this, it need alot more time :)noob_challenge_handp_wip04.JPG
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @david- Increased the size of the second story balcony openings like you mentioned and also played around with UDK's color lookup table to change the tone of the scene.

This is getting near the end of this scene for me. Need to a add background and change whatever people suggest!

iybNbMV.jpg
  • StephLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephLee polycounter lvl 12
    Davidosterlind - that looks amazing!

konraden - That still looks really awesome, I hope you get to finish it :)

tkfixity - The walls might need some more loving, but loving it so far :D
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    Well, there's still the rest of today and tomorrow but I won't be able to work on it at all. So this is how far I've gotten in my spare time. I was in the middle of fixing up some lightmaps.

reSddmo.jpg
    r2T83hD.jpg
  • konraden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here´s my current
    noob_challenge_handp_wip05.JPG

and here´s the textures
    noob_textures_low.jpg

Still alot of work to do but I feel that I now have a better understanding on how to tackle this kind of thing.

Looking forward to the next challenge, I think it will be better and I will be more active in the thread then Ive been on this one.

Hardest thing about this challenge has been trying to figure out the space of the concept and making tiling textures not stretch much.

Here´s some late crits:

JamesArk:
    Looks good in general! Would like more definition and sharp angles on the crystal.(ofc it depends on what you are going for and what you have looks cool).
    Its very dark outside the room, try to get some some sunligt in to get more depth in the picture. Also try to get the light behind the camera, so the dark areas frames the crystalglow.

riceart:
    I like the low contrast of your textures.

tkfxity:
    I would like to see some sun coming in, making some hotspots on the pillars and have some more contrast, its a quite flat lighting now.
    Here I did a quick paintover, more darkspots, more light spots.
    tkfxity_paintover.jpg
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Very cool looking stuff! I need to learn me some Crysis engine sometime...

Here's my progress! My first Noob Challenge! So proud! *sniff*

I haven't had a heck of a lot of time so I'm surprised I even got this far

I definitely want to keep tinkering with this!

63e164119c87716dab0ab932b997b5b7.png
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    This challenge turned out so awesome, too bad I coudn't participate, I love how the crystals are turning out, but Sushifish's one has to be my favorite one heh.
  • SirSpangles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirSpangles polycounter lvl 4
    There is never just one answer to how to do something, think about the different ways to tackle this and then figure the ones that work the best for the different areas and see how that works for you. I will say to definitely not make it all one mesh, that would leave you with a washed out model and bad UV resolution.
  • BXR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BXR polycounter lvl 6
    Great challenge! Good job everyone! Its great to see so many takes on the same concept. Here is my Final.

n95h.jpg

w72b.jpg

you got me with this one! i want to waste some time there!
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I was gone this whole weekend and never got a chance to do last minute adjustments. So this is probably my last post for this scene, so these are my final images.

@Konraden - Thanks for the paintover, I did some lighting adjustments, changed the angle of the sun so light comes in more. Also made the scene a little warmer. I couldn't get shadows like the paintover but I tryed to get something along those lines.

2kAmhFi.jpg

Zk8XHkT.jpg
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 weeks behind but still did it in one month - 2 weeks from August. Great going everyone.

Made this with one 1024x1024 texture. Still lot of room for improvement but this is as far as I could go due to limitations of my laptop. :D

If anyone interested you can check out work in progress and other angles of this environment here

https://www.facebook.com/fahadkhaw/media_set?set=a.402099613246182.1073741837.100003384415056&type=3