Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix - LIMBO

Hi polycounters!

I'm a little late to the competition but I think I'll give it a shot anyhow!
limbo_1.JPG
- screenshot from LIMBO

LIMBO is one of my all time favourite games and the art style is simply awesome. I chose it for this competition as it adds a couple of extra challenges, firstly in that LIMBO is a 2D game and the diorama is 3D and the second is that LIMBO is both grayscale and made up of largely block colours with no surface texture. Hmm..

I have a few ideas of how I can adhere to the theme and still create a convincing portrayal of the game and I'll be posting up my WIP in the next few days!

Had a nosey around and there's some great stuff already so I'm going to crack on, good luck all!

FramuSS

Replies

• FramuSS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just made a quick model for the nameless boy character of LIMBO so I could play around with some of Sketchfab's features. The model is sitting at 522 tris at the moment but there's plenty of scope for optimising so I'm not worrying just yet. The topology around the arms and shoulders need some work too so I'll fix that at the same time as reducing the tri count.

[SKETCHFAB]482b7926716e45f68d3c44cc12f5f13b[/SKETCHFAB]

I decided to make the mesh with all the verts welded - no intersecting geometry - just like in the olden days!

I also had to export the .FBX from Maya upside down and set the axis of rotation to X in order for the boy to rotate properly.

I'm using a single 16px x 16px texture where I have painstakingly hand painted a white dot for an eye. I then overlapped the UVs for the faces where the eyes sit on the face and everything else has been crammed into the corner of the UV space so that it appears all black. I'll make it a whole lot neater when I re-topo so that there are way less UV shells.

Also as it's a grayscale texture it can in theory be kept in one of the channels of an RGB texture file, although as far as I know Sketchfab doesn't support splitting the channels.

I'm undecided as to whether I should alpha plane the hair in or if I should leave it as is (or model a bit more)... at the moment I'm leaning towards alpha planing.

After finishing the boy and rigging him it's onto creating the environment, which I've decided will be scene from the first chapter of the game, with some iconic guests thrown in for good measure.

Thanks for looking & all feedback welcome :D

FramuSS