Home General Discussion

Cons and Networking

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

I'm looking to expand my knowledge of networking and convention interactions (networking, portfolio reviews etc) to better line myself up to get a job. And I feel like this kind of a list could really benefit a lot of people here on polycount.

Personally I'm looking for things in Southern California, but any location can help either myself or a fellow polycounter.

I know of only a couple places/events off hand, but I'll get the list going.

If you're going to contribute I'd be great if you could include the location, dates (if applicable) and type of networking offered (Casual interaction, Formal Reviews, Digital/Telecommuting interaction)
  • Any extra information can be added in a bullet below, listing personal experiences can help others in similar situations understand what they can get out of it.

Game Developer's Conference: March 17-21 2014 (San Fransisco, CA) - Formal Portfolio Review
  • Notes: Large, formal, game developer networking Mecca. Plenty of mixers, and on-site portfolio reviews. Lines are expected but nothing ridiculous. Larger companies are unlikely to consider recent graduates, but most provide exceptional feedback and direction. Panels are also incredible looks into current and future game dev (panels require a more expensive pass however)

San Diego Comic-Con: July (exact upcoming dates unknown) (San Diego, CA) - Casual Interaction, Limited Formal Reviews, Mostly For Illustrative/Concept (please correct me if I'm wrong on that)
  • Mostly about merchandise and seeing the next big things for the year. Still provides the chance to meet fellow artists (mostly comic book illustrators). Panels come free with any badge, but expect major lines in popular panels (people camp out overnight to see things like the Game of Thrones Panel). Panels about games and artistic instruction are limited, but still worth a look if you're in attendance at the con already. Portfolio reviews are a small part of the con, but still exist and can provide valuable feedback to 2D focused artists.

Polycount Hangouts: ongoing - Casual Interaction, Digital/Telecommuting Interaction
  • I'll be honest, I haven't been inside one of these yet, I'll fill this in once I go, or if people offer me more info below

Siggraph: Multiple locations and dates ( http://www.siggraph.org/attend/events ) - Casual Interaction, Formal Portfolio Reviews
  • Again, have not been in attendance here, but I know several who have, I'll get their experiences in soon

(I'll add more myself as I become aware of them, or in the case of smaller get-togethers, if I obtain permission from the organizer. I'll try to keep adding new submissions to the above list so that thing stay in one accessible place)

If there's already a thread similar to this I apologize and if someone could point me to it that'd be great, if not I think this could be very beneficial to those people looking for jobs as well as new friends in the industry.