Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG REMIX - Borderlands 2

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Fashoomp polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone! I've decided to do a diarama of Zer0 fighting either a Hyperion robot or engineer, I have yet to decide.

I've started on Zer0's sword, but I'm already having issues in the unwrap. 64x64 seems super low and I can't seem to get anything on my object properly. I exported the UV template from Max, and I open it up, and it's just a big green blur. Does anyone have any tips for working at this resolution? Should I be breaking the sword up into more pieces so I can overlap and get higher res? I'd like to try and get more detail into the blade, but it takes up too much UV space.

I would really appreciate if anyone could link any reading material on the subject, I couldn't seem to find anything (even with my good friend, Google).

EDIT: I've put my most recent version of the model in this sketchfab viewer.
[SKETCHFAB]df52240429c440f9b4eccbb013b5c32e[/SKETCHFAB]

7erLzIe.jpg

Replies

• Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe you could just export a bigger uv render, something like 2048x2048 px and work with it, and when you're done, lower the resolution, that works fine to me. Great idea too!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    @Javibcln: 2k really? Anyway that won't make it work in 64x64 anyway.

For a longer object like that, use a rectangular map so you can fit everything in better, like a 32x128.
  • JurassicPerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JurassicPerk polycounter lvl 6
    In addition to AimBiZ's good suggestion, I would say that it's fundamental to overlap everything you can.
    Luckily, the sword is symmetric, so you can overlap its two sides. Also, the hilt it's amost a cylinder, so, for example, you can just unwrap 1/4 of its longer side.
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the tips! Really good idea using the wider map, AimBiZ.

Playing around with the UVs, I think I'm finally starting to understand how to optimize. Still a long way to go though. I've updated my sword textures in the sketchfab viewer in my OP.

Started work on the Zer0 character. Happy with the helmet, but if anyone has tips for optimizing, I'm open to ideas.

[SKETCHFAB]f12dc2b59e8c42d18b559bea456a2ffb[/SKETCHFAB]

Here is his helmet for anyone who hasn't played Borderlands 2

borderland-2-zero.jpg
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided which scene I'm doing. I'm choosing the scene where Zer0 kills the 2 engineers on the roof of the train from the intro cinematic. I can now build a definitive list of assets I will need for this.

1Uh46mC.jpg

I've also modeled this dastardly fellow, and I plan to hide him somewhere in my final scene :poly124:

7DCXrBp.jpg
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I poorly timed starting this, because I've been out of the country for the last week. Time to kick into overdrive to get this finished on time. I've done the blockout for my scene comp. I'm doing a snowy/rocky podium with the train scene set up over top of it. I hope to finish my Zer0 model today and get to texturing him for tomorrow.

[SKETCHFAB]b10a4284319c463ab4fcd247a6054645[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got the zero model finished. Going to unwrap him tonight and get started on the textures.

544 Tris for the mesh (not including sword)

4skBJe9.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]5fda0f12427948a1afcde093aadd88fc[/SKETCHFAB]