Homeā€ŗ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wip Ellie from The last of us

Replies

• Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thankd BARDLER !
    So here's a little update. I did some pretty final eyelashes and did work on the hair quite a lot to make them a little lower to remove that huge forehead effect some of you guys were bringing up. I started working on the spec and gloss map (finally!) I think she is really coming alive right now! I think for the basic T pose turntable I'm gonna keep her into marmoset. Once she will be rigg and I will have her riffle finish I will bring her into cryengine. It's gonna leave me some time to really try and learn more about cryengine to make it look as best as it can.
    The spec and gloss is a first pass I will go back on them and the lower body and hand is not yet touched.
    8pNp6dj.jpg
    By the way I really wanted to thank you guys for following the thread and giving me all those very nice critics, advide,tips and tricks. Sometime you don't really notice but it did made a HUGE difference on how the character turned out in the end. When you work on the same thing for so long sometmes it'snice to have fresh opinion from somebody that can look at the character in a more objective way.
    Here's a little shot of how the face of the character looked like on the 22 of september and how it looks now (way better!). You guys are responsible for a lot of this improvement, thanks :)
    kZqOwjB.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    oy this is looking much better man !! just some tiny nitpicks on my end that would send this piece to a further improvement :

Bottom lip seems to be way too cut, like she has scars on it , i know its supposed to be the lip meat, but i think its very exagerated now and could use some softening, the same to the upper lip , the "meat" is too pushed forward , giving it a sort of "prostitute lip" .

I would make the eyelashes even more pronounced they barely read it , and i would darken a tad the skin on the eyelids and increase the spec on that area a tad .

The dirt on her shit is too uniform , like she dipped it in shit , i would keep the dirt she has on the lower part and maybe remove some dirt on less exposed aread like the shoulders , i would actually go as far as making the color on the shirt run of on the shoulders , to indicate its extreme use. What im trying to say : Break the patterns of dirt you have on the shirt and overall clothe, seems like you applied an overlay uniformly without thinking about the areas that would be dirty , i would also play around with adding some drops of oil or whatever gets attached to the shirt when she crawls etc , storytelling.

Phew , these are mainly suggestions mate, this is looking gorgeous :)
  • EmJaeR
    Offline / Send Message
    EmJaeR polycounter lvl 10
    Looking a lot better. One thing that stands out to me still is the eyes. They seem quite flat and the iris seems bit flat in color oppose to the variants of color in the eye that Ellie has in Last of Us. Keep up the good work :D
  • createdbyi
    Offline / Send Message
    createdbyi polycounter lvl 5
    Subscribed. Keep it up!
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    Wow this is turning out really nice, totally digging your textures :D awesome stuff!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    So hello guy,
    Jao Sapiro Sorry dude, At that point I did so many changes that I decided that it was time to stop. I learned SO MUCH from this character. I think it was timr to stop :)
    and sorry you think she look like a prositute-lip girl that dipped her shirt in poop lololol
    Createdbyi : Subscribe for the last update haha!
    PixaletedKiwi Thanks dude!!
    decided to call Ellie done. I've been getting so many critics at that point (good one!) but I'm pretty happy about the character at the moment and I don't want to do any changes only to please other people.
    Thanks again for following me through this
    Once she will be rigged I will pose her in cryengine.

b6ezxoA.jpg
    9H9pyJT.jpg
    PDCN6eM.jpg

Ah and, since it was asked a lot...
    textures
    8lFAnQL.jpg
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Wow turned out awesome. I personally think the hair looks fantastic, and the clothing and everything is looking great, also your texture flats are very neat and orderly, I can never seem to stick things together so orderly like that. Definitely one of my favorite TLOU fan-art projects I've seen.

The only minor, minor change I would make when you go to CE is removing the specular from the eyebrow. Super small thing.

Anyways, really cool to see this come along, and look forward to seeing it in cryengine.

Super alice.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Turned out great Tits!
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    That looks absolutely incredible. I wish I had 1/100th of your sculpting skill, Marie.

On a side note, you should totally send this to the Naughty Dog Studios!
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    just want to chime in and say excellent stuff, and that I think you are right to stop and move on with what you have learned to the next piece. Looking forward to the beauty shots :)
  • zicoV
    The textures look amazing. Looking forward to seeing the beauty shots. Great work :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Nailed it. Seriously. Great textures, agreed about the beauty shots can't wait :)
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Can't wait to see her posed! It was great following this thread! :)
  • avagoyamug
    Offline / Send Message
    avagoyamug polycounter lvl 9
    Really solid stuff! Good work on the texturing! Only the hair could use a little bit more work (probably just sticks out because Naughty Dog's hair looks THAT good)

You've come a long way with this!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Ysalex Thanks Ysalex, I really appreciate your comment and coming from you it means a lot, I have a lot oespect for you :) I'll make sure to correct the eyebrows for the beautyshot!
    AeThanks dude!
    Stirls Thanks you very much, I appreciate it, sculpting is all about practice.
    Seth Big thanks for following the thread and giving very nice comments and critics to me!
    ZicoV Thanks!! I'll try to make a good job with the beautyshot
    Rhoutermans I'll try to make the beautyshot worth the wait :) Thanks!
    mospheric Thanks for following the thread!!
  • EmJaeR
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to see it all finished. Awesome work! Looking forward to seeing it all posed in CE :)
  • lildragn
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Nice to see it all done and you're moving on :) Looks great and excellent work on the textures. Just made it live on VG-A also.

Cheers!
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work!

Got a tiny nitpick.. which is the silhouette of the back of the hair looks a bit blocky.
    Everything being so smooth while and that tiny little blocky area just breaks the realism for me a bit.

Also agree on the eyebrow specular. Looks like plastic.

Anyway.. this is awesome! =D
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    EmJaeR Thanks, sent it to my rigger today so I'm not too sure how long it will take but I guess I will use it to get better at Cryengine!
    lildragn Thanks dude! Yah It's like on VG-A now, love that website, pretty neat!
    bb0x Yah I agree with the ponytail and eyebrows comment, I'll make sure to fix at leat the spec before I do the posed render :)

Once again thanks for the love guys,
    little turntable here
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh5GpT9wtIM"]Ellie The last of us fan art, Game resolution model - YouTube[/ame]
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey!
    Sorry for this little post without update on the actual character (still waiting for the rig to pose her in cryengine!)
    I just wanted to share this other little video to answer some question people were asking about my texturing process on the 3d model fan art of Ellie from the last of us. This is covering my photoshop pipeline, taking a look at my psd (photoshop) files, occlusion baking, hair planes process etc

My apologies again for the silly accent and I hope some people might found it helpfull :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGN7Wby2thk"]Texturing Overview, tutorial, Ellie from The last of us (3d model fan art) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Rolang
    Offline / Send Message
    Rolang interpolator
    Really awesome work Tits! And thanks for the Texturing Overview video, I found it useful. I also need to try that light map technique for my next character. :P
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Marie, thanks for sharing your thought process on the texturing! Picked up a few tips that will come in handy for my future projects for sure. Also, about your accent... don't know about anybody else, but I find it cute :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • zicoV
    Great looking character. And thanks for taking your time to make a video on your texture process.
    I bet that will come in handy for me very soon :) You're awesome!
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Waw, that's so nice to share this Marie =D Thanks a lot and, again, very good work on this character ;)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thanks guy, really glad some people actually found the video helpfull/appreciate it :) make it totally worth the time!
  • Rens
    boss, nice work and video :)

Points for keeping your PSD files that orginized and clean, mine would probably end up being a mess haha.
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work Marie and thank you very much for sharing your workflow :)
  • KristaW
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    This turned out awesome. I look forward to more of your work in the future.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Great job Marie :) she turned out really well, can't wait to watch the texturing vid
  • SA_22
    i love the little tips and tricks you pick up from videos like these.... keep em coming marie!! :poly142:

ellie came out awesome 2.. texture is killer! :D
  • Korgoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Korgoth polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for showing some of your process. Can always find something useful when good artists break down their work. Looking forward to whatever's next.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thanks to all of you guys for the nice comments and I'm really happy you enjoyed the video :)

Still working on the lowrez version of the diorama for when the rig will be finished,
    I'm taking it easy at the moment I've over done it a bit in the last few months and I am really paying for it at the moment.

Until the netx update, cheers!!
  • alphajayel
    Offline / Send Message
    alphajayel polycounter lvl 6
    Truly Awesome! :)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    great work on this :)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Just showing up my latest render from the new Marmoset2
    It's gonna be sick guys!

Rigging should be done pretty soon, working on the low-rez diorama :)
    JfTFxSm.jpg
    v6PkoL2.jpg
    2ynO6Ua.jpg
  • rino
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    2yllfzo.gif

FUCK that looks awesome
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Oh my god :O I want to say 'Great tits' but kinda concerned that will be taken in the wrong context, will just say fantastic work :D
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Haha that gif is awesome
    Thanks CurtisWS.
    Great tits sounds great to me hehe, thank you very much Torch, glad you liked it :)
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Ellie turned out fantastic and it was really cool too see your progress through the character. Well done Marie-Michelle :)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thank you Anthony, really appreciate your comment :) .
    I really liked your environment work on uncharted 3, saw the art dump you posted here and it was really neat!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Reviving this old thread hehe.
    Just a little sneakpeek at the low rez-textured diorama for the final posed render.
    Character is still being rigged, very impatient to get it, I think I might get it sometime this week.
    hbWEziW.jpg
    That's it for tonigh!!
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Outstanding work tits. You've made such a great job of this piece and thats without the diorama. But when they are both complete it's going to be a beast!

As for the diorama maybe by adding some rubbish and dead leaves may add to the overall piece, it just a suggestion. Either way I'm loving the whole thing.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey There!
    Thanks for the comment Di$array, was actually working on the foliage-dead leave but I'm not very used to do them so it took me quite a while haha so here ya go, another small update. No spec work yet on the environment, can't wait for the rigg, it's gonna feel way more alive I think once Ellie will be posed!
    Hope you guys like it!
    zMbuXy4.jpg
    AaThZYE.jpg
  • EmJaeR
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start! The firefly logo is a nice touch but maybe have it in a less obvious spot. Kind of like how it was in the game, if you see it you'll be like "oh hey that's sweet". Either way nice job :)
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Not really feeling the firefly logo at the moment. The size and placement is just... odd. Why would a firefly decide to stencil a tiny little logo on the floor like that? It would make more sense to have it be larger and on the wall behind her. You could use the value and color contrast to frame Ellie against the background. Or if you'd like to keep it subtle it can be old and faded.

Other than that. Great work Marie! :)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Aaahhhh I'm sorry guy, I wanted to move the grafitti but then I forgot :(
    If I decide to move it i'll just update the render!!
    Special thanks to Pier-Luc Poulin for the amazing custom rig and to Moritz Mayer (KnechtRuprecht) fellow polycounter for letting me use his rifle model.
    Marmoset 2 screenshot :)
    r0JvnrQ.jpg
    IM6B3Mv.jpg
    gTSOfbY.jpg
    5l21IoV.jpg
    dzKA0xB.jpg
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    That action shot of her with the gun is fantastic! Seriously great work! I would say the diorama needs alittle work but posing ellie and giving her some context really makes this a great piece! Congrats on finishing!
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    I absolutely love that sad expression of her face, it really brings her to life. You aced it! =D
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    I like your Ellie more than the first one, not an objective reason, they are both fantastic it is that I like your face it seems a bit more stylized to me