Home Unity

Exporting body parts for custom avatars

mod
Hey all,

Im currently in the RnD stages of creating an avatar system at work. But Im very new to it and its a learning experience, to say the least. I have a base as we use to do avatar items for another game in a different engine, but now are working on our own, so we need to recreate tools and all that fun stuff for unity.

My question for you is how do I export for custom avatars? I want to have each piece in a separate file so that the artists can work on it all at once, so doing it all as 1 file and using asset bundles wouldnt work, I dont think. I want to be able to export the skeleton as a file, then export each piece, lets say shirt 1 and shirt 2 is their own files, then combine them all together. Do i have to export the bones with each piece so that it keeps the weight data? If so, wouldnt that beef up the memory usage and slow it down? Unity can be somewhat scary seeing all of the nodes within a model file. Never know whats actually needed and what I could have deleted to save memory / have a cleaner look.

Replies

• cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    There is Unity3D learning project just about that. Google it and you should be good to go. It should contain asset postprocessors as well. :) There is some avatar research forum on unity forums as well. here on polycount I remember excellent example of avatar system as well.