Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix – Halo 3

Welcome!

Ideation
For VG Remix I plan on producing a diorama of an epic skirmish casting the many hostiles and armor permutations from the Halo universe on Halo 3's Tsavo Highway.

Tasks/Documentation/Ancillary Information.
Tsavo_Highway_zpsddd4128f.png

I selected this game as it was the first Halo title to sink me hook line and all for it's great narrative, universe, and multiplayer. So stylizing this concept with a hand-painted aesthetic was definitely a direction to pursuit. As mysterious as the universe of Halo is, I was struck with the remembrance of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon's style!
Pokemon_zps668e4e41.png

While that serves as a good basis for the style, it's onward to the inspiration board! Through this process I can then select a more applicable hand-painted style as the imposed style of Pokemon leans toward an extreme.

Inspiration board:

Form stylization

ao8t.png
So a remix to the aesthetic form of the Halo characters I have in mind is a meet of TF2 body types, or the like of, with some exaggerated proportions as a result of outfit or musculature.

Texture stylization

6nse.png
When it comes to the texture, the first idea that I want implemented is the blocky marker like feel. Second is a middle-ground of the painterly feel expressed in the Bastion aesthetic and Golden Sun/Legend of Mana concept art.

Texture Refinements

7ry.png
Regressing to the Pokemon picture board, the ditherance expressed in the aesthetic is a quality that I would like to translate. Inclusive in the process is the application of brush stroke gradations to enhance the painterly feel.

Production
So the following is the production of the low poly model for each species. I'll start out with more triangles than the ~500 tri count limit in order to get appropriate/interesting volumes and silhouettes for each body type. While retaining form I then cut down the topology to meet the tri count. So my approach to character creation will be a modular one since I plan to heavily populate my diorama. The purpose of producing a base low poly model is so that I can then build upon the volumes with armor/accessories.

Generic Male/Female model(508 tri ea.)
jn1.gif
bfo.gif
The purpose of producing these two models is so that I get acquainted with the ideal proportions and low poly development. From here I can proceed to 2D concepting forms I would like for, in this case, human personnel. Once I translate into 3D I can then proceed to apply munitions to the characters.

2D Concepting:
[In development & post pending]

Low poly character production:
HUMAN

Marine Personnel
[Final Low poly Pending]

Army Personnel
[Final Low poly Pending]

Naval Personnel
[Final Low poly Pending]

Spartan
[Final Low poly Pending]