Home Contests & Challenges Archives

The VG REMIX - Questions & Answers

Replies

• PaperTig3rs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaperTig3rs polycounter lvl 3
    AimBiZ wrote: »
    If all else fail you can always export an obj with accompanying mtl file and zip them with the maps. Should sort itself out when uploading the zip.

I've been trying that option but my student version of 3DS Max keeps crapping out when I try to export the OBJ. Gonna have to try to uninstall and re-install if it can't export.

Update: Yup, had to re-install. works fine... for now...
  • CLo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    Some what of a noob question, but didn't see this when reading through. Are normal maps allowed as well as texture maps? Thanks in advance!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    CLo wrote: »
    Some what of a noob question, but didn't see this when reading through. Are normal maps allowed as well as texture maps? Thanks in advance!

^ Not allowed.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Sketchfab has this in their FAQ regarding textures "Make sure not to exceed 16 texture units."

If I understand this we are restricted to 16 textures.

Would it be alright to combine 4(64x64) props into a 128 or 16(64x64) props into a 256 as long as the resolution of the props are within the low poly limits?

As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of textures you can use in the challenge. This would just be a technical workaround for Sketchfab.

Answer: Thats fine.
  • satrio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, but I can't get the fancy interface when posting. No icons or Sketchfab button.
    What am I doing wrong?

Answer: Please post a screenshot of what your interface looks like.
  • Inpw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    I'm a bit concerned about big characters such as giant bosses (actual examples: Shadow of the Colossus thread, or Warrior from Borderlands 2 thread). They can look messy compared with standard-size hero with same tris and texture size limits. So can we use a bit extended specifications for such things, for example 128x256 maps and about 700 tris?

This has been answered.
  • ddoan88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ddoan88 polycounter lvl 7
    I might be going crazy but where is the rules and info page for this contest? I cannot seem to find it.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ddoan88 wrote: »
    I might be going crazy but where is the rules and info page for this contest? I cannot seem to find it.

http://www.polycount.com/vgremix/
  • GxD11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GxD11 polycounter lvl 11
    I've been having problems uploading multiple objects into sketchfab. For example Im uploading a character and an item he holds and their respective textures but in one case it only shows up with one material or one of the objects just doesn't even appear :( Not sure what im doing wrong. Is there a tutorial somewhere bout uploading the multiple objects for when we set up the diorama?
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
    I have a question reguarding the polycount. Say if i have a character riding a vehicle does that count as a combined 1000 tri obj?(ship being 500, character being 500)

Also what about enviroment skybox resolutions?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GxD11 wrote: »
    I've been having problems uploading multiple objects into sketchfab. For example Im uploading a character and an item he holds and their respective textures but in one case it only shows up with one material or one of the objects just doesn't even appear :( Not sure what im doing wrong. Is there a tutorial somewhere bout uploading the multiple objects for when we set up the diorama?

Answer:
    Someone mentioned this but didn't mention the downloading sketch fab plugin part so for max:

You get the sketch fab plugin for your application an install it.

Make a folder, put your models file and your texture files in that folder (.jpg format preferably).

Assign the material from the folder to your model export an obj with settings of sketchfab into the same folder with everything in it.

.Zip everything but your ORIGINAL file such as .max for 3dsmax yadda..yadda(your apps format) go to your sketch fab account and upload that ZIP file and boom done.
  • Saiblade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiblade polycounter lvl 12
    Wondering if would be against the tech limits to have a face texture separate from the body texture? Doing xcom soldiers for my entry though I don't want them to be clones of each other. So I'm trying to give them swapabble faces.
  • ddoan88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ddoan88 polycounter lvl 7
    D4V1DC wrote: »

OMG! Thank you I always went to the forums and never checked the home page of polycount. Now I know there is actually a home page.
  • William3DArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    William3DArtist polycounter lvl 13
    I need a tut on how to create a 1 bit alpha in photoshop and how to upload to sketchfab properly.Wondering if you have any suggestions?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need a tut on how to create a 1 bit alpha in photoshop and how to upload to sketchfab properly.Wondering if you have any suggestions?

It is in the first post here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123726

I think you can just make a new layer in Adobe photoshop over your texture you want to have an alpha for paint WHITE over that area, hide any Background layers and leave that white layer on save a .png and you should be alright. At least thats how I would do It, give it a shot.
    Note:
    (I have not done an alpha yet so don't quote me on this process this is a best guess scenario.)

Post back if this worked for you or not.
  • Wild_Fire_1187
    This is a bit of a dumb question, but the 'VG Remix -' part of my thread title isn't showing up, as the rules dictate is necessary for entry. I've tried changing the title but it is still not working. How do I go about fixing this? I don't really want my entry voided because I mess up my thread's title.

Thank you in advance.
  • William3DArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    It is in the first post here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123726

I think you can just make a new layer in Adobe photoshop over your texture you want to have an alpha for paint WHITE over that area, hide any Background layers and leave that white layer on save a .png and you should be alright. At least thats how I would do It, give it a shot.
    Note:
    (I have not done an alpha yet so don't quote me on this process this is a best guess scenario.)

Post back if this worked for you or not.

So here is the sketchfab model. My Obj Normals are flipped correctly, everything looks fine at first besides Opacity on stairs once I press Save on my settings in Sketchfab, open up again without changing settings, it looks like this. That is why the thumbnail looks clean on the first image screenshot.

[SKETCHFAB]9ebe04eab89849969ed68b47a63a4271[/SKETCHFAB]

Normals are perfect in Max. Here is a pic of back of ladder with Xview to show they are facing in the right direction.

VG_Remix5.jpg

Looks fine.

Here are my textures.

Lookout.png

Note: you might not be able to see this unless right clicked and saved.

Lookout_Alpha2.png

The Alpha is actually deleted with no BG or Black (I see checkers) on where the white square was on the diffuse map near the ladder pieces. The rest of map white. Sorry, when I fix it I will let you guys know on an update. Looks like I might be behind on the competition. Glad I am doing this though I am learning a lot. I have never done opacity maps in sketchfab before. The comp was fun guys.EDIT: No was, Im in it to win it. Thanks,
  • William3DArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I figured it out guys and gals, my sketchfab was doing some strange flipping of the normals. I had to do it the harder but not so harder way by exporting selected as .obj I had more control on seeing what my settings are. Zip textures .mtl, .obj. and .jpgs. As for the .png I switched it to a black and white alpha jpeg and it worked. Then I changed the diffuse and everything else. I saw some flaws with a staff pick that had the same issues with there .png textures and it was doing thae same thing to his or her model. It was looking like the normals were flipped. Also keep in mind I looked under the FAQ in sketchfab and I found out you should keep your alphas separate from the rest of your model. I think this means separate UV Space. A new texture sheet. So I put my steps as there own texture.

steps.jpg

steps_alpha.jpg

I hope this helps you guys as much as it has helped me troubleshoot these things. Now to get working. Good luck everyone!!!

[SKETCHFAB]651e553a691c4522963773cc73f561d9[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Draygo00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Draygo00 polycounter lvl 9
    I need a quick clarification on alphas - I have just removed the pixels in my .png diffuse maps, (it works a treat) is this alright or will I need to make a separate alpha to not be disqualified? (the alpha is technically 1 bit as the are no aliased edges and all textures are set to unfiltered)
  • Maxram0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick question, does Sketchfab support camera facing polygon?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    On the previous page, Vailias asked this question but I didn't see an answer next to it, so I'll ask again: what about a fixed alpha value? I might maybe not even use any textures whatsoever, but I kinda need alpha for glass. And to my knowledge, even super old games like the first Alone in the Dark had some simple transparency.

Here's a mockup of the specific case:

windowsmash.gif

All the shards would be modeled, a flat color, and a flat transparency. (though this mockup is obviously not poly-optimized)

p.s. sorry for being so late, I only just got home today

Answer: Looks great, do it :)
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Is there a spot where we can pick up the contest logo from? I've seen it on other folks entires and wondered if they ripped it from the contest banner or it was posted somewhere I've yet to find.
  • pikpiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you don't mind, you can use what I re-created using a blown up pixel drawn logo.
    Added as attachment.
  • GxD11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GxD11 polycounter lvl 11
    I finish uploading my entry to sketchfab but for some reason the thumbnail wont save and the background image stays default even after i change it. Is there something im doing wrong or is this some sort of glitch?

Answer: Your best bet is to contact Sketchfab for support. I'll do my best to make sure they see this. Can you reply back with the link to your Sketchfab ?
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    i missed out on submitting my entry since i was at work is there any leniency on this cutoff?

Answer: Unfortunately not. The cut off date was made aware at the beginning of the contest and the submissions page was opened a few days before the deadline. You had 3 weeks to plan your submission.
  • Wiz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiz
    I see a lot of entries on sketchfab, are not in the specified vgremix and polycount tags.
    Don't forget the two tags to your model. Click on edit, and add " vgremix polycount" (without the double-quotes) into the tags field, then click save.
  • satrio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am missing the fancy reply interface with the embed buttons.
    My reply window looks like this! How do I get the fancy stuff?

screenshot.png