Home Contests & Challenges Archives

The VG REMIX - Questions & Answers

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
As always, post your questions specifically for the VG REMIX in this thread and we'll do our best to have them answered.

Replies

• Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    "...create lowpolydioramas of a scene from one their favourite videogames"

Is the "scene" referring to a setting/location, or an event?
    If it's an event, will we have to avoid spoilers?

ANSWER: Scene, scenario, setting. Any of those work, so long as its a depiction of your chosen video game.
  • VeeJayZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have problems with sketchfab regarding multiple materials. Will it be possible if all the dioramas' textures will be on one page? For example, all of the character's textures will be on a single 1024x1024 textures (with strict texel density ratio, of course), so that I can present it without problems having multiple chunks of the scene?

You should have no problems using multiple materials for Sketchfab. Many of the models already shown on Sketchfab use multiple materials.
  • JustinK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinK polycounter lvl 9
    is there any problems doing this as a duo?

Like prize or rule wise?
  • WarrenM
  • TheMachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are opacity maps allowed? It didn't mention anything about them in the rules

Answer: This information is located on the contest page. Only the following are ALLOWED to be used.

Diffuse, Specular Color, Shininess, Emission
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does it have to include a character or are environmental pieces allowed?

Answer: It can include whatever you'd like it to include.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Is the character limit flexible in any way?

I wanted to do a Dark Souls diorama but boss size starts at like 3-4x the size of the player and just goes up from there which poses a bit of a problem when trying to keep stuff consistent in detail...

It is. You should be using the specs for this contest as a guideline for making decisions like this. So while you're making a larger character, use the specs as a way of guiding just how detailed it should be. Use the examples given to decide if your monster would fit within those examples or not.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Does it have to have a polycount limit for the entire scene, as for all objects. I am almost asking for one haha, 15000 Tris? Also, are we allowed to have a skybox, and what is the maximum size texture we are allowed to have for a skybox? (hopefully 256px)

Answer: If you can figure out a way to use a skybox while still allowing for your diorama to be viewed from all angles, that is fine. If 256x256 is what you would need for your skybox, that is fine, so long as it fits the tone established by the specs & the examples given.

There is no triangle limit for the entire diorama as a whole, no.
  • freakadelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    freakadelle polycounter lvl 4
    Are mash ups ok? I have an idea but it includes elements of various games

While that would be cool, this is for 1 videogame.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I'm wondering if we can choose a games series or does it have to be strictly one game? I'm wanting to do Silent Hill and would like to incorporate characters/environments from across the main games.

Answer: That sounds great.
  • givemeajob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm considering to create an entry surrounding the metal gear solid series. With this in mind can I use characters from MGS 3, 2 and 1? Or does the entry have to be assets from one game in particular?

Answer: This has already been answered.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    whoops, mispost
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    What if the game is in Beta or hasn't been released to the public?
    Favorite could be and mean most anticipated game, couldn't It?

I am concerned on many levels about this and I would use what I've seen already within videos so would this be allowed?

Sure.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMachine wrote: »

Answer: This information is located on the contest page. Only the following are ALLOWED to be used.

• Diffuse, Specular Color, Shininess, Emission

Am I correct in understanding that the reference to opacity maps is the same thing as using an alpha channel then, correct?

No use of planes to create triangle flags as an example; if I wanted them I'd have to make a triangle in the shape of a flag?

Correct.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    TheMachine wrote: »

Diffuse, Specular Color, Shininess, Emission

So, no pixelated/hand painted lightmap then? D:
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to ask cause triangles count here, can we have holes in our meshes?
    Under say shoulder armor/clothing something like that? Also double sided polygons are allowed?

Answer: Whatever you'd like to do.
  • SentryTheGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So would armor or accessories on a character be counted as "the rest", since weapons classify as so?

Answer: Good question. IMO armor is clothing, which should be apart of the budget for your character. Use your own discretion.
  • freakadelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    freakadelle polycounter lvl 4
    While we are at it: What about vertex colors? Would change my approach quite a bit

Answer: If its not listed in the contest page, you cannot use it.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    A bit of a beginners question, I have not used Sketchfab often, can single objects use different materials for texturing reasons? In Sketchfab. I wonder!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey guys!

I am getting a lot of questions regarding texture & triangle budgets and wanted to clarify: These budgets are just a guide. No one is going to fault you for anything in this competition so long as your results feel like they were created with the same restraints as the examples given. For techniques that are not listed (opacity, lightmaps, etc.) Those were specifically omitted from this competition so that you could focus on A.) lowpoly modeling and B.) Lowpoly texturing.

So again, we're not going to police every move you make. It's all about the end result.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I had one question regarding textures that's probably already been covered loads, but would love to know from any of the pros here. When creating 128 pixel textures, is it better to start on something like a 1k map and downrez to 128, or just paint it at 128 in the first place? I've seen a few people down rezzing from something like 512 but when I've tried it my map gets so blurred :D Cheers!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    I had one question regarding textures that's probably already been covered loads, but would love to know from any of the pros here. When creating 128 pixel textures, is it better to start on something like a 1k map and downrez to 128, or just paint it at 128 in the first place? I've seen a few people down rezzing from something like 512 but when I've tried it my map gets so blurred :D Cheers!

I do this sometimes, the trick is to sharpen it first then add noise second then compress down. Though people say it is best at its current res or 1.5 times the res then size down, same goes for 1K every time you resize, sharpen + add noise, 512, sharpen add noise, 256, ect.
    Edit:
    I'd do a test say weapon or something small first with the above then decide.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not too terribly familiar with Sketch Fab but is there a place you can test the results without actually posting in order to preview an entry while WIP?

Answer: Yes, just upload it to their site through your Sketchfab account and preview it there.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what are the lighting options? Hand painted into the diffuse?

Answer: This or Sketchfab's lighting setup.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I know this question doesn't really belong here, but: Anyone know of any accurate way of getting UV's template when the texture is so small? I recently did a something like the contest and anything below 256x256 always gave me white pixels due to the fact that the UVs arent snapped to the "pixels" (you know what I mean). Is there any tips/tool to get some decent UV template's at these sizes were gonna use?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Tekoppar: What application are you using? In max you can turn on pixel snap in the UV editor, you will need to have a 128x128 texture applied first.
  • Hideous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideous polycounter lvl 7
    Can I create more than one entry? In the unlikely event that I create something fast enough to make something else as well. Asking just in case, haha.

Yes.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    apologies in advance. I know this question has kinda already been asked but anyways,

In regards to alpha/opacity maps. I was going to have to rely on them quite a bit for the foliage aspects within my diorama. After reading through the Sketchfab features on the site, I read ''Sketchfab supports textures, normal maps, specular, diffuse, transparency, lights...''

Is this just a material transparency tool within Sketchfab or can we create our own alpha textures?

Sorry and thanks :)

Answer: Read the rules on the contest page. There is a limit to what textures passes you can use and opacity is not one of them.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I'm using Max, sorry for not mentioning that. Ah, no wounder it never worked. Never applied a texture, thanks!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Torch wrote: »

I missed this one: I would not recommend going from 1024x1024 to a 128x128. While working at rez would be desirable you could get away with painting at 256x256 & downrezzing to 128x128. A good rule of thumb with downrezzing, only work at "double" the size of your final texture (I know it's technically quadruple the size)

With these specs you're going to see obvious pixels so you'll definitely want to go back after you downrez with a one pixel brush and tidy things up
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    It is mentioned in the rules that you can change the style (manga Mario). Does this apply to the rendering style only or does it go as far as the style of game? For example taking something like Bioshock and turning the diorama to look like a sidescroller beatem up or some other genre, etc. What are the limits to this?

You're limited to A.) your imagination and B.) Sketchfab's capabilities.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    one more transparency question: Can we at least use a full object/material transparency or preferably 1-bit alpha?

I have a metroid scene kicking around in my head. They kinda need transparency. I could do with per object, per material, or even one-bit alpha, but no transparency is a bit limiting. (So many of the great scenes in Super Metroid involve fade in's or other transparent objects)
    It could be done with a sprite/billboard, but sketchfab doesn't appear to have that option.

Plus the stuff would still look like pixel art with those restrictions.
  • kelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So Sketchfab doesn't support sprites? :( No sprites then...?

Answer: Correct.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    A childhood spark flared up again when i seen this competition.

I'm working on Oban star racers scene, which was also a game. Any issue with it? Can't think of one myself, just making sure!

Original question was going to be on sketchfab introducing animation however it seems that it isn't likely in the course of this competition. Damn you sketch fab for not supporting animation yet! Wanted to do a mini race track like scalextric with two ships ;(

Edit: seems there's a lot of mashing up going on with people choosing two games and combining them, may want to clarify that with peoples before they get too far into it ;(

People shouldn't e doing a "Mario & Halo!" entry where we see Mario and Masterchief on adventures, but if you wanted to do Halo as a sidescroller game inspired by Mario, that is fine.
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthricus polycounter lvl 5
    If I have time, am i allowed to make 2 entries , they are totally irrelevant to each other.

Or could i do two projects but only submit the one im pleased with the most?

Cheers :D

Answer: You can enter as many times as you like.
  • Maxram0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To verify:

1) if I was aiming to make it at Nintendo DS quality level, it would be 500 tri for a character with a 256 or even a 512 texture map?

2) what if you chose to make it to the standard of the Sony PSP, which if I remember correctly, characters tri are set between 1k-1.5k, but the texture resolution is lower at 128 or 256?

3) saying that, can I add additional maps like normals and specular to try to meet the quality standard of today's mobile games? they also use opacity, but I read that is a no no :(

Answer: This is all clarified in the rules as to which specs you can use.
  • a2.creative.hub
    I am a new user in here.

I was trying to post a new thread in the forum and was unable to process as it says am not allowed to post new thread.

How am i supposed to take part in the contest??
  • Draygo00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Draygo00 polycounter lvl 9
    Are we allowed to use Sketchfab's built in environments and environment reflection?

Answer: If its not on the list in the rules you cannot use it.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another concern I am sure this might be apparent to everyone else but, when the rules say per object I need a bit more info just to be safe.
    Some characters have separate armor areas and extra stuff. I just made a shield and well I didn't even reach 100 but It looks HP.

So I am curious 100 triangles per object for me would mean one shoulder guard is 100 triangles, same for 1 knee and the helmet, 100 each?

Not that I need that many but if I did am I allowed to do this per object?

Just being safe, thanks.

Answer: Use your own discretion for this based off of the specs & examples given. This is a challenge, after all. :poly124:
  • Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimson polycounter lvl 18
    Vailias wrote: »
    one more transparency question: Can we at least use a full object/material transparency or preferably 1-bit alpha?

There is no alphas/transparencies allowed.

The TF2 example from the rules list it as being spot-on, but 1-bit alpha is even disallowed? This will considerably change my plans, so I just want to be sure.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Answer: Let me clarify with Sketchfab if they can support 1-bit alpha. If they do, we'll allow it. I'll update once I know.

EDIT: Thank you for looking into this, regardless of the answer.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Can I import lights?

Answer: This has been answered already. You either use Sketchfab's lighting or 'fullbright'. There is no custom lighting option at this time.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    How does Sketchfab handle textures? Be default do their textures tile or wrap outside of 0-1 bounds?

Answer: There are multiple options to choose from.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    dooooooodes:

is there like a main thread or something where I can see the info / theme / rules etc for this challenge??

confused :poly142:
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @hawken, haha.

polycount.com :P

and with 2 clicks you're @ http://www.polycount.com/vgremix/
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    In relation to my downsizing rez question earlier, might help a few people here: http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/resize.htm
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Is it 1 texture per model or can we use tiling and trim textures where we would be using more than one on the model?(as long as the textures themselves are no bigger than 128x2)

Answer: You can use as many as you'd like so long as it doesn't pull too far away from the tone/limits set by the examples.
  • We r the Walrus
    Can we use a video game map/characters to do a Machinima scene? Or does that cross into more of a film area than a game one?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Can we use a video game map/characters to do a Machinima scene? Or does that cross into more of a film area than a game one?

I am not sure I understand what you are asking.
  • PaperTig3rs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaperTig3rs polycounter lvl 3
    Is the Sketchfab exporter only available for 3DS Max 2014?
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Is the Sketchfab exporter only available for 3DS Max 2014?

If all else fail you can always export an obj with accompanying mtl file and zip them with the maps. Should sort itself out when uploading the zip.