Home Unreal Engine

Particle ribbons's material lagging behind the object/particle it is attached to

So, I'm trying to create this kind of motion blur effect on a lightsaber blade. I'm using a mesh for the actual blade and a ribbon particle with SpawnPerUnit module to spawn the ribbon when the blade moves.

The ribbon gets spawned and seems to be just fine, but the material on the ribbon seems not to start when the ribbon starts, and results in a gap between the object and the ribbon.

I suppose a picture will show it better, and as you can see, the ribbon is actually spawned at the same position as the blade mesh itself (using SpawnPerUnit with a value of 2).

Replies

• imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    I've always know this to be just a limitation with ribbons. There's is always a 1-frame lag with ribbons that occurs during rendering. Usually I'll quickly fade the ribbon in to avoid that harsh edge.

You can try and get clever by having your emitter nudged forward a bit ahead of the sword. So if the sword is rotated properly while it travels, you'll be able to hide the gap in the ribbon.