Home Unity Store

[RELEASE] Shader Forge - A node-based shader editor for Unity

Replies

• AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mention what you think sets your product apart from all the others on the Asset store and explain how yours does things better, also have a look at how the competition are advertising theirs for reference.

Show off its most useful features in the pictures, the features you think people will want to know about. especially the most interesting ones to appeal to the customers imagination.

You could also do an introductory price for the first week or two maybe to draw people to your product, I think that would help alot. Also I'm sure everyone here who has been in the Alpha and Beta will leave you some awesome reviews.

Also Bugo offers some good advise I think. :)
    I hope this helps.

Does this work with the free version of unity?
  • Jeza87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can somebody help me, whenever i drag a texture2D node into the editor the whole GUI locks up and the node list on the right disappears and i cant click on anything. After i alt+f4 to get out of it there are a bunch of d3d11_9x errors in the console. All the other nodes work though. I dont't know what to do as i am fairly new to unity. Im using unity 4.1.5 and win XP.
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeza87 wrote: »
    Can somebody help me, whenever i drag a texture2D node into the editor the whole GUI locks up and the node list on the right disappears and i cant click on anything. After i alt+f4 to get out of it there are a bunch of d3d11_9x errors in the console. All the other nodes work though. I dont't know what to do as i am fairly new to unity. Im using unity 4.1.5 and win XP.

Which Shader Forge version are you running?
    It happens because you aren't using Unity 4.2 or later, but SF is supposed to disable the main menu and tell you to go download 4.2 if you have an earlier version, if you're using SF 0.15 or later.
  • Jeza87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acegikmo wrote: »
    Which Shader Forge version are you running?
    It happens because you aren't using Unity 4.2 or later, but SF is supposed to disable the main menu and tell you to go download 4.2 if you have an earlier version, if you're using SF 0.15 or later.

Is says i'm using SF 0.16, so there's no way it's going to work right unless i download the newest version of unity? I have poor internet so i usually try to avoid large files unless i have to.
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    awesome progress man!

i think the emphasis on the skyshop integration is a high selling point!
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeza87 wrote: »
    Is says i'm using SF 0.16, so there's no way it's going to work right unless i download the newest version of unity? I have poor internet so i usually try to avoid large files unless i have to.

Strange, it really should warn you if you're using an older version, at least in the main menu. Did you go through the "Open In Shader Forge" on the example shaders or something?
    And yes, you'll have to get Unity 4.2 or later to run SF!
    I might push SF to 4.3 and later, due to some features in 4.3 that helps SF quite a lot when it comes to rendering real-time shaders.
    beancube wrote: »
    awesome progress man!

i think the emphasis on the skyshop integration is a high selling point!

Good point! I'll be sure to leverage that a bit more :)
  • Polynaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    v7drti.jpg
    2isv5sn.jpg

Hey Ace, here are some shots of the graph where one time it works and the other time it won't. I know that a custom color node for the light color might not make much sense since it decouples the light information Unity's internal render system reveals from the light source... but hey, it is a beta test after all :)

And here is what the shader looks like compared to the original built-in diffuse lighting. Just for the sake of it, though I'd like to have it working with multiple lights and point lights as well. Do you have an ETA for that?

2wp5owz.jpg

edit: Sorry, somehow I uploaded the wrong picture for "it bugs out". Please imagine a connection from the RGB output of the LightColor Property node going into the second slot of the Multiply node where it has the Light Color node connected in the pictures above. The Light Color node then rests unused inside the shader graph. This is when the error appears after recompile.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    from what i see this is exactly what unity is missing right now
    its not only functional, its also good looking and easy to handle

great job
  • Ga2Z
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ga2Z polycounter lvl 7
    Hey I've been a long time follower of this project and I'm eager to seet it on the asset store! I think just by the title of this post (that I guess could be the one for the asset store) people gets excited, I know I did. You might add "UDK like node editor" because that is what I first looked for in Unity after coming from UDK. Also, the Skyshop integration, the first post images and the sphere area lights video will sell this product for sure, you shouldn't be worried because is a great solid project you have :)
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught wrote: »
    The Light Color node then rests unused inside the shader graph. This is when the error appears after recompile.

Suspect this might be because you've named your light color property "LightColor", which makes the internal name "_LightColor", which might be reserved. Try changing it!
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ga2Z wrote: »
    Hey I've been a long time follower of this project and I'm eager to seet it on the asset store! I think just by the title of this post (that I guess could be the one for the asset store) people gets excited, I know I did. You might add "UDK like node editor" because that is what I first looked for in Unity after coming from UDK. Also, the Skyshop integration, the first post images and the sphere area lights video will sell this product for sure, you shouldn't be worried because is a great solid project you have :)

Possibly! I'm not sure if Unity has some policies regarding mentioning competing products in their asset store. There might be some rule that they won't publish assets that risk legal issues etc.
    It seems risky, though I might be able to hint at it
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Possibly! I'm not sure if Unity has some policies regarding mentioning competing products in their asset store. There might be some rule that they won't publish assets that risk legal issues etc.
    It seems risky, though I might be able to hint at it

guessing node editor would suffice (without any legal trouble)

if someone sees screenshots of the gui, he´s going to realise its "udk like"
    at leasts that how i see it.
  • Ga2Z
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ga2Z polycounter lvl 7
    guessing node editor would suffice (without any legal trouble)

if someone sees screenshots of the gui, he´s going to realise its "udk like"
    at leasts that how i see it.

That's right, just by mentioning is a node based shader creator is interesting...besides, not everybody would know what is about (and I mean for the people that only look for assets) maybe some people doesn't even know how a shader works so, for the people who does and find out about this will be instantly interested FACT! Kifflom.
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna ask again since no one answered when I asked previously, Will Shader forge work with the free version of Unity?
  • Ga2Z
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ga2Z polycounter lvl 7
    I don't see why it wouldn't but you obviously couldn't compile the shader using Pro features only, like Grab Pass or Render to Texture. But is just my wild guess (not really sure and cant't look now but I think this was already answered)
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I think I am going to buy this on Wednesday after seeing some videos of it, I can't wait!
    Which features can I not take advantage of with the free version of unity?
  • Polynaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    As Ga2Z said, you don't have access to Render Textures. That means you cannot do screen space post processing effects and you cannot sample the results of a previous shader pass in a following pass.
    For further readings about feature comparison I suggest you to read the respective page on the Unity3D website.

And yes, SF works with Unity3D Free. The shots I posted above hint at it because by default Unity3D Pro uses a dark UI. The one in my shots is brighter - default color of the Free version. ;)
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shader Forge will work in Unity free. There are no forced limitations from my end, but there are restrictions from Unity. You can't use Pro-only features, with one exception - I'm forcing Render Textures to be enabled in Unity Free, in order to be able to display the real-time preview, which has an interesting side-effect of enabling RTs for everything else too, which means you will be able to use refraction in Unity Free. :)
    However, it's only inside the editor, it won't work in a build.

(I should really make a FAQ on the website)
  • Bug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bug
    Acegikmo: My two cents here to sell this:

1)Say it will work both in Unity free and Pro
    2)Say it will revolutionize the way you create your shaders
    3)Say that UDK will be just a myth if you add this tool to your arsenal, and Unity will rock with it.
    4)Say you will support the tool for very long time ( this is important for everyone who wants to develop seriously)
    5)Say it will never change price and that the features will constanlty improve

And fear not, when this will come out: Unity Technologies will sponsor it like they did with Skyshop !
    For the legal stuff about comparing to UDK before adding that statement (in my 3rd point) ask Unity Technolgies if you can add that statement or not.

Good luck man, this is your creature, and I think we all will love it.

P.S. Don't forget the mobile optimization features I requested you :)
  • NeatWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeatWolf polycounter lvl 3
    I'd say:

1) Extra emphasis on each and every compatible package you're going to keep support with.
    2) As Bug said, grant support for as much time as you can
    3) Stress the fact you can build shaders without actually typing any code.
    4) Maybe provide a very basic package of the most common or creative materials you can create.
    5) Mention the fact it resembles the Material Editor of the Unreal Engine (I didn't check the capabilities side by side)
    6) Maybe cut off the price a little bit at start, since even with some proper testing at least some issues are likely to arise (hopefully not) due to the demand and expectations we have ;)
    7) Maybe consider a light/basic version with limited capabilities/functions for entry level users that would still love to use the graphical approach but without having big demands on creating the most complex shaders (maybe also limit the options and cut off optimization options for mobile shaders in this version), at a lower price of course + non commercial use, and being able to upgrade to the full price.
    8 ) Decide in the Terms of Use if people will be able to resell shaders or shader packs created with ShaderForge. In either case a "Create your own set of shaders and share them with the community!" could be catchy as well.
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch for all the feedback!
    Just a few hours until it's submitted to the asset store! :)
    The website should be more or less ready - what do you think? Anything missing?

http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/

It's hard to squeeze everything in without making it messy, but I think this works alright!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Congratulations Ace!
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
    Looking fantastic man, hurry and put that shit up so I can use it!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    Really looking forward to this! I can't wait.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Website is looking great!
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    Website looks good and I really love the node info page :D Good stuff, can't wait to spend money on it :P
  • RealArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations Acegikmo :thumbup::poly142:
    Please Add Terrain Shader on Example
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    Congratulations! I've been following this since you first posted this on polycount :) Website looks good, easy to read.

Just waiting for it to be released now ;)
  • Acegikmo
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Kick arse man! Been looking forward to this for a while :).

<One sale right here once this passes
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to celebrate the submission day with a little Baileys :D

Cheers, and let's hope this is the start of an amazing journey!

SubmissionParty.jpg
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    You earn a drink ! Congratz for the hard work :D
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shader Forge is now finally live on the asset store! That went super fast :D

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/14147
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shader Forge is now finally live on the asset store! That went super fast :D

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/14147

If you want to and are able, it would be awesome if you guys could help spreading the word! :)
  • Zugzug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zugzug polycounter lvl 5
    This is awesome, Congratulations and thank you for this awesome tool!!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    congrats!! been waiting for your release :) Purchased! :D
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to bed now, so I won't be able to respond to requests for a few hours! This has been quite an amazing day so far! Excited about getting started on the bugfixing for the next version tomorrow, and perhaps have a chance to see some of the things you make with SF :)
    Goodnight!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Congrats man! If you can, let us know about the selling numbers. I will be soon purchasing it.
  • Acegikmo
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work Acegikmo! Purchasing it today :)
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Awesome! Looking forward to using it in work :D Lovely stuff.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Thanks bugo!

Also, the Unity forums beat Polycount by far when it came to celebrating:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/191595-Shader-Forge-A-visual-node-based-shader-editor/page31?p=1478922&viewfull=1#post1478922

*in serious voice*

no celebrating here
    we´re all professionals without emotions !

but congratulations on the release, guess iam going to pick it up :)
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Congrats on the release! I've noticed that now it says "Requires Unity 4.3.2, compatible with 4.2+".

Are there any limitations/concerns/bugs that now happen in 4.2 versions that don't in 4.3.2?
  • Crest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crest polycounter lvl 6
    Congratulations on getting Shader Forge up on the asset store and I can't wait to use it on our future games at my studio play with it even more in the future.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    well done! hope its well recieved on the store!
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Congratulations!! As I said in my first post on the thread, this is a must have for Unity Devs.

We (Knitted Pixels) will be using it for our upcoming games from now on :)

Thanks and once again congratulations for your hard work these months, you just made a great difference for the indie developers like us with zero budget and a lot of effort and hours of work (just like you put on this) to elevate the visual quality to compite against the big companies.

I just can wish you the best of lucks and tons of money from the developer community.
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch all of you :D
    It has been really fun to work on this, and it has gone really well after it went public too!

Time to keep working on the first post-asset store update :)
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Great job.

I will buy your tool also I will pray for you alot ! really a life saver and I think the Unity 3D team should pray for you ALOT. You just made the engine far more useful.

Congrats from Iran :D
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    Just as I was about to buy it my shader hit the interpolator limit of SM3.0 :P Apparently that's connected to a post-release feature, any idea how long I'll have to wait for that custom config file goodness?

Edit: I guess it shouldn't be that bloated, but being a custom lighting shader takes its toll.
  • Acegikmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hitting the interpolator limit is quite rare. Are you sure you haven't enabled too many features? You could turn off lightmapping, and perhaps use per-pixel screen coordinates instead of per-vertex, to save some interpolators. But yes, you should be able to specify SM target :)