Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Viking Game - Collaboration Project

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
avagoyamug polycounter lvl 9
Hey Folks,

I'm happy to announce to you the great collaboration of me and a couple of colleagues - internally known as "The Viking Game"! [rumbling thunder]
...it's a WIP name, by the way.

The rough gameconcept has been in our heads for quite a while now, but now finally I started sculpting the first character!

...meanwhile, our concept artist, the great Markus Lenz, did this:

078_max_zps08755cc2.jpg
429_max_zps54a91c05.jpg836_max_zpsfdb38867.jpg
attachment_zps020e9534.jpg
attachment5_zpsec5a2352.jpg

...Yeah, I know what you think.. what a lazy duche! But he also did lots of other stuff on the side - for this and for other projects - best you have a look at his personal sketchbook over here: http://oni.cghub.com/

Well, and more pics, here some WIPs of the first character I started in Zbrush (its my first dive into Zbrush, so be kind) - its the lefthand character on the picture above:

1_zps7154dbb0.jpg
2_zpsba31a130.jpg
3_zpsaca8bb8d.jpg4_zpsc10403d1.jpg

Well, thats it for now. Expect to see more stuff soon!
As always, comments and critique is VERY welcome!

Have a great and productive weekend!
Thilo

Replies

• Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, let me say that the whole concept is awesome for real!

The concept art is wicked too proper getting the picture already and it looks to be epic!

The sculpt is coming on really nicely too you got some really nice muscular forms coming on.

A few pointers which all depend on how closely your sticking to the concept art.

The creature that your modelling looks to be a blend of the two different characters on the last concept sheet. Like as said don't exactly know if that's your aim but if not then maybe make the sculpt more distinct to one.

The sculpt so far shows stubby legs like the creature on the left

A more rounded belly like the creature on the right.

A really wide latissimus dorsi like the creature on the left

A slimmer arm arm thickness like the creature on the right.

Otherwise the muscle placement and detail that you've sculpted so far is spot on particularly loving the legs and the arms.
    At the moment it's early days with your sculpt but I just thought I'd mention as your starting to put your forms in. It's definitely coming on so keep it up and will be following as this looks awesome!
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! Appreciate your praise and your critique!

Its true, I struggel quite a bit to catch the overall character and silhouette of the left guy. He works quite good in 2D, but try to imagine his back and where the latissimus and the trapezius link to.. 0o

Still it will probably help a lot if I widen his hip (and belly - it's definitely to firm!) and widen his stance..

Overall, he's still pretty ripped, but thats more for me getting the anatomy right - I will later add a lot of body fat to get his physique right.
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I see what your saying so instead of adding depth to his under-arm add the depth to his over arm (top side of his arm sorry) bulk up his shoulders as this links in beautifully with his trapezius and the concept and would be no change at all to his back muscle linkage.

To be honest I think the hips are fine the hips look wide on the concept but I think 1: that's because the concepts on a 3/4 angle and 2: they're kind of covered by the loin cloth they would link back to his crotch anyway as opposed to him having a really wide crotch.

The belly add some fat around the sides and your sweet bro.

I think you've captured it really well btw they where only a few minor tweaks.

Anytime man I think the whole thing is awesome so looking forward to the seeing the whole project take shape dude. Keep it up.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Oh damn son, Awesome art, great start here :D!
  • iheartmyself
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iheartmyself polycounter lvl 5
    That's some nice concept art ya got there. Jelly XD

As your concentrating on form and silhouette at this stage, i'd go down a few subdiv levels, youll have an easier time doing it that way. That high a subdivision is left for detailing.

For tips in how to achieve the look your going for, i'd say have a look at how and where fat deposits itself on the body, and how to place the skin over the top of it. At the moment, your guy looks like a bodybuilder with a gut. Your muscle placements are quite close to being correct, which is what you want for a start. Next up is just placing that fat.

Have a look at the worlds strongest man competition, those guys have almost barrel shapes to them.

I'm actually trying to tackle a very similar thing [eerily similar actually]. I'm in the process of sculpting Odin with an older bodybuilder body type. [its on polycount somewhere, if you would like a look :) ]
    What helped with mine was doing a few torso/body part studies[sculpts] of the type I want to achieve. It means you dont look at the arms or legs etc, and get to concentrate on one thing.

Keep up the work dude, subscribing. Looking forward to the updates
    Cheers
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Hello,

I'am one of the mentioned colleagues whos going to contribute to this. Will propbably make some 3d at some point for now though contributing some scribbles as you can't have enough of them. Want to improve on environment concepts, composition, lighting and the like so will focus on that.

But couldn't help to draw some ladys for a start. =D
    viking_girls.jpg
  • oni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oni polycounter lvl 6
    Hey there, here are also some more quick doodles on the guy I did beforehand :)

b1d2.jpg

n8yx.jpg
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update, still getting warm with zBrush, steadingly warmer though ;)

I couldn't help but put some tiny bit of detail on. Also tried to incorporate you're critique, let me know what you think!

WIP3_zps9e3ca69e.jpgWIP2_zps9191c7c5.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    cool designs, love the 2D thumbnails.
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny update - skin detailing on pause now and onto the props!

5_zpse0d8bbce.jpg6_zps6ddee47f.jpg
  • mariomanzanares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    The sculpt looks gorgeous, and the concept it's just awesome. But I really need to point out one thing: When you say "first character", do you mean "main character"? Because, if that's so, I think you need to work harder in pushing up the aesthetics.

I don't try to be mean, trust me. This is just an observation, but a game must be recognizable and the aesthetics are very important. In your project everything looks a little bit... generic. Try to fix that asap because I can see talent here :)
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mariomanzanares, I guess with aesthetics you mean more recognizable, more unique?

I totaly agree, this would never be a main character. The Main Characters are the vikings (though THE protagonist of the game is not yet concepted), those characters are supposed to be some kind of cave tribe, living in hot, hazardous caves inside of a volcano.

Thats btw why I tried to make his limbs burned and leathery. I'm gonna take this much further with the coloring, as visible in the concept.

...I'll still try to make him more distinguishable, especially through his props.
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The proportions seem much better but a little hard to fully tell with the 3/4 images.
    The detailing on the skin is a good start.
    i like that your considering the creatures environment and what effect that has on the creature physiology that's a great way to model and conceptualize standard.

As your in the early stages of detailing not much to crit but some straight on images of the creature would be good to see what the proportions are like but so far great job avagoyamug.

audi100 your concepts are wicked man but i don't one hundred percent get the design.
    Look at the beasts those women are up against, the beasts would knock the snot out of your female character mainly because she has a toothpick for armor.

Even if she managed to beat one of those beasts what would she do if she had to face a crowd minus the crowd what if she's a viking and has to deal with european weather conditions?

Reverse the situation if you were in a battle and you had the choice of wearing armor or wearing a cotton skirt against a big brute that eats building's for a living which one would you pick - (and be honest ;p)?

Balance sexuality which is what I assume your going for with a realistic design.

Your form on your female characters kicks ass they look bigger stronger and able to handle some weight but at the same time able to move that is really nice use that with a realistic armor design and i think your definitely onto a winner there man.
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're absolutely right, have a look at some orthos:7_zps1bd3009f.jpg

..not too much of a change though, have been buisy with dayjob and freelancing lately. I'll get on it soon again!
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No prob I know what that's like dude lol.

The stomach to tie in with the reference would need to be wider at the very front if you look closely there's a contour around the stomach and that you need to extend near enough all the way to the edge of the silhouette shown in the reference.
    The characters belly is very wide and bulky and sits on the edge of his battle kilt or whatever it's called ;P

Keep the details though but once you've moved the stomach smooth out the contour around the belly as his belly is really bulky in the reference there's no definition around the it to seperate his belly from his flank if you get what I mean.

One more thing there is a kind of streak going across his back would again pay some attention to that and smooth that out.

Everything else looks great sweet I like where it's going dude.
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there,

just some small updates on the props this morning:

8_zps99abe4ea.jpg
    9_zps55a96391.jpg
    @Melonman: Thanks, I see what you mean with his belly - I'll gonna give it a final workover soon...

Also changed the feet a bit more towards the concept, to catch the hoove-like character.
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small teaser - this guy is gonna wear armor, but it's more for sentimental reasons...

10_zps0cf4466e.jpg
  • oni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oni polycounter lvl 6
    some wip progress for the female character

70f7.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • oni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oni polycounter lvl 6
    some houses for a potential village!

kq9y.jpg
  • oni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oni polycounter lvl 6
    Thumbnails and sketchbook pages from some house exploration

8p5k.jpg

rl2n.jpg

khrf.jpg
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At first glance theres some really nice concept work going on here and Im digging the start of the 3D as well...Im looking forward to seeing more :)
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    Looking great. It is really coming along. I wish you guys great success.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I almost thought you were remaking the lost Vikings.

But looking great so far :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I am loving the shit out of these character designs! great concepts, cant wait to see more :)
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much finished the highpoly now - starting retopo soon!

Here's his kilt - put together from scavenged armor of his enemies.

14_zpsd47ab72d.jpg
    12_zps6cb22852.jpg
    13_zps89744d55.jpg
    11_zps47af4111.jpg
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    Wow the art direction is sick!! Keep it up guys :D
  • oni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oni polycounter lvl 6
    Environment mood piece and our viking girl, both still a bit wip I guess!

3s81.jpg

d4uy.jpg
  • Sotojose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of this work is SO inspirational! Thanks so much for sharing this!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    fantastic work! can't wait to see more.
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omg you guys are awesome! Really like what I see/hear so far!
  • oni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oni polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys, your comments are very motivational :)

Here is another concept involving the creature Avagoyamug is working on and basically shows the scene when our character reaches the end of the enemy lair and faces it's guard.

z8xk.jpg
    dlon.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great progress guys, digging those building designs and the female character although i think we need a more ragged up version for the beginning, maybe beef her up a bit (as is indicated in the last scene shots ;) ).
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    oni wrote: »
    Environment mood piece and our viking girl, both still a bit wip I guess!

3s81.jpg

d4uy.jpg

Cool stuff! She looks a whole lot like Swedish songer Robyn! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robyn
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Everything seems solid so far, subbed ;)
  • Ehren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehren polycounter lvl 9
    great concepts!
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing too fancy, but tried to make at least one thumb a day for the first environment (volcano cave system). Me likes 3,8, 9, 13 and the last row of those, think the rest are bit too bizzare/unnatural.
    viking_env_thumbs_1.jpg

@ Melonman: Thanks for your crit. Yeah you're probably right she would not stand a chance without any armor against the big dude but as hes going to appear as an endboss at the end of a chapter she should be able to have found some protection by then. Don't want to spoil much of the (very rough) story we got but basically she has been stripped of any armor at the beginning.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I am blown away by these designs and concept paintings.
  • oni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oni polycounter lvl 6
    Hey sltrOlsson good observation, she was the main reference for her face since she really looks like I imagine the character to be :)

Nice going audi! I like 11 a lot!

I had some housing ideas for our cave faction

i3sd.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to pre-order a copy ;)

Damn guys, really nice work so far!!
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for your feedback, this is really motivating as hell!!!

I have a small update on the first bake:

4g8i.jpg
    dja7.jpg
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    loving the concepts and sculpts! Tracking this~
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool bake! Beautifull concepts ! Subbed :D
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, really awesome conceptarts in here! Loving them.

And I'm really liking vulcano thumb number 5, maybe with some addition to the foreground and overall some intresting details. But I love that path you did there!

The bake looks good, but the face feels just a little blurred to me right now, but maybe it's just me...
    I'm looking forward to more progress on this project.
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fenyce:

Thanks! I see what you mean, I think the face IS actually blurred in the screenshot, but thats just due to compression, I think.

I will however remodel the face and some other parts for animation, anyway. Seperate the eyes and open the mouth etc.

I'm still very new to character retopo and I just talked to our animator about some areas that I will rework.
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpoly is about finished, what do you think?

[VEROLD]52433f7e68cb53020000022d[/VEROLD]

edit: These guys from Verold are just awesome - they got in touch with me immediately and fixed a bug that seemed to cause trouble with the normals. I can only recommend this tool to fellow 3d Artists!
  • oni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oni polycounter lvl 6
    Some thumbnails for a creature living in the snowy mountains. Thinking about a yeti/moose mix

uqpp.jpg
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    everything you guys have posted is awesome to the max.

avagoyamug - awesome job, my only crit is that the severed heads are very high poly, you could probably halv the coutn and maintain the same detail.

Can't wait to see more. good luck!