Home Dota 2

DusK Workshop

Hi there Polycount! I've only been learning 3D arts for half a year now but I'm really glad i can be a part of this community and i decided to start my own workshop thread, even though my skills are far under anything i've seen here.

I'm hoping that your criticism/ideas can help me improve my work. I will post my work here starting with the latest. I do have some other submissions prior to the Lancer weapon, but they look very bad. (wouldn't want to hurt your eyes)

WORKSHOP SUBMISSIONS

Obsidian Cutter
0658E20437D4652F312C778E9703C632EB400380

Heavy War Helmet
C669460B43E3C15D17C046C31065C54E2C4F705D

Replies

• AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... In order to kick-off this thread, i'm gonna ulpoad some silhouette ideas for the next item. (preparation for Dire chest)
    Maybe you guys will let me know what u think :P i prefer the 1st so far :D

yiac.jpg
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it seems i'm gonna go for 2 axes this month. Gonna keep the first one for myself and do a collaboration with xB33 for the 4th silhouette.

He did a nice job (IMO) concepting that one and i just coulnd't refuse ^^.
    Here's the concept, hope u guys like it as much as i did:
    h70u.jpg
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    making progress!! i did upload more stuff on the Monthly Competition thread, but i thought why not help tend to this thread also.

Almost done with everything and i think i might have it submitted by midnight.
    Here's the sculpt:
    rh81.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    The scratches are too numerous and too random in my opinion. Also the inside of the blade looks like it's made of clay and not metal, it need to be harder and more polished to read correctly
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    The scratches are too numerous and too random in my opinion. Also the inside of the blade looks like it's made of clay and not metal, it need to be harder and more polished to read correctly

Thank you for your wisdom! i did reduce the scratches a bit :) as for the rest, i was not aiming for metal, but for a more rock-ish idea (obsidian). Regardless, i will keep in mind for next time! And I hope i can join in on more hangouts with you, i like your work!

And with this occasion i would also like to thank Hudston and Mihalceanu for their wisdom and help offered in the creation of the axe.
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Even if its obsidian, its crafted into an axe blade and would be sharp and smooth. You can have chunky designs while still being clean. Just look at darksiders. Hpolish brush is your friend for this. Also, try using masks and deformations to create your symbols. You'll have much better control and it'll be much cleaner.
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt wrote: »
    Even if its obsidian, its crafted into an axe blade and would be sharp and smooth. You can have chunky designs while still being clean. Just look at darksiders. Hpolish brush is your friend for this. Also, try using masks and deformations to create your symbols. You'll have much better control and it'll be much cleaner.

Thanks for the tips! Now i'm inclined to do something with runes again or something similar to try out these techniques :D
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k SO on to the next project! I will take all that u guys told me into account and i hope the result will be overall better :D. Doing a weapon with runes too so i can test out what Hudston and Vextrakt told me :P

Here's the concept:
    04q5.jpg
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... i've been working on the PA weapon. Just wanted to keep things flowing around here with a WIP pic. Always looking forward to criticism/tips/suggestions (they motivate me).

ZAPIC:
    g92w.jpg
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Well, here's a lot of critique in no coherent flow :>

The design overall doesn't feel very sharp like a PA weapon. I think you went into make the small detail like the symbols way too early until your overall shape was solid. The blade doesn't feel like a blade, and it would help you a ton to get in the habit of using multiple subtools. Right now how the blade connects to the back piece is only defined by a subtle indent - if they were separate subtools, you'd have way more control over defining that separation. Same thing with the handle.

Here's some zBrush workflow tips - Always work big to small. Low level of polygons to define your large shapes. Subdivide once or twice, add some medium detail to those shapes such as defining the separation of each piece/material like leather wraps (i personally make leather wraps as individual subtools) or the back end of those blades. Keep subdividing and polishing as you go, big details to small details.

If I am trying to create neat/clean curved shapes like the back of your blade, I like to use the move tool and just nudge back and forth til its right, and then I'll clean up with hpolish. Alternatively, a lot of artists like to make that kind of base shape in Maya/3DS Max then import it into ZBrush.

For your symbols, try to smooth out your mask a little bit (hold ctrl and left click on the masked area, ctrl + alt and left click sharpens the mask). This way when you use inflate deformation to push it in, it will create a slight bevel on the edges which makes better normal map bakes.

Lastly, spend some time on deviantart/google images/wherever you like and collect a shit ton of reference! Your handle design especially is rather odd for me :P don't take it personally. A good reference folder will help you a ton with your designs.

A lot of the artists on here frequently stream their work on twitch.tv. Go watch them and you'll learn a ton!

http://www.twitch.tv/anuxinamoon
    http://www.twitch.tv/tvidotto
    http://www.twitch.tv/spudnik3d
    http://www.twitch.tv/hudston
    http://www.twitch.tv/vladimir_the_implyer
    http://www.twitch.tv/brontothunder

I'm sure I missed some, but if they aren't streaming you can check out past broadcasts for videos as well. Good luck!

Edit: This is also a great video to watch from the Darksiders II contest last year:

http://www.livestream.com/vigilnights/video?clipId=pla_69d386b0-0c57-444a-a1e5-4c820a55e9d2&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH wow man!! Thank you for taking your time to explain so much! I like the workflow you described and i will definetly try to integrate this big to small logic in my own. I feel like you are mentoring me here, which (don't get me wrong) I do enjoy and appreciate very much. I like it how with every project i get to learn new things and i get more and more information on how to be efficient. I thank you for this! I will try my best to improve my skills.
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dropping the PA project backwards untill i can decide on it's final form. In the mean time, it's centaur time!! I decided to take the No.1 Silhouette from axe and make it for centaur. I need some help deciding wether it looks good already or if it needs something more.

Photo:
    fyxc.jpg
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well hello! I am back after what was an extremely busy month, and i am ready to get back to action :P

I am going to do a set i've wanted to finish for some time now and even though it won't fit in the polycount monthly contest theme, i'm going to start anyway :P
    Here is the concept:
    wnw6.jpg
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a WIP shot of the spear:
    dqxe.jpg

As you may have noticed, it is a rework of my original Moonlit Spear, which i recently removed from the workshop. There's the sculpt in a late phase. I might get the job done on the weapon by tomorrow morning, and maybe i will upload it on the workshop to generate a bit of hype untill the rest of the set is done. I'll keep posting updates! :)
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soooo, I'm done with the weapon!! Yay!! Decided i will only upload it when the rest of the set is done! In the mean time, here is a little in-game sneak-peek:
    mql0.jpg
    xqsm.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy it!! would love some opinions on it :D