Home General Discussion

Is anyone else slightly aroused by the new Mac Pro?

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    small black, shiney and vibrates when you turn it on... sold
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is this?

Why would people fall for this crap at all?
    They must market to the stupid!

"
    Guys, you listening guys? Guys, this is serial.
    The new Mac- you listening?
    The new mac is a cylinder.
    *fan boys orgasm*
    "

You can do the exact same thing on any desktop/mac but they market this shit as revolutionary. Christ when will people learn?

why do you even bother how/where people spend their money
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    This has to get said in every single Apple thread for some reason so here we go again.

Apple isn't about the components. Apple products are fashion and status symbols. They are functional, and the OS works really well, but they aren't about keeping the cost down. They market to people with money, not people who comparison shop every component.

An Apple fan would look at your home-built PC square box and have no idea why someone would want something so ugly in their house. It's a different crowd. Deal with it. :)

You heard it here folks! Apple fans are superficial and vain. :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's like any other fashion/status item. Hey, I feel the same way about people who buy flashy cars to drive to the grocery store. My car performs the exact same functions as that Ferrari so why would someone pay more?
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't get me wrong, I agree, but I found it rather amusing.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    It's like any other fashion/status item. Hey, I feel the same way about people who buy flashy cars to drive to the grocery store. My car performs the exact same functions as that Ferrari so why would someone pay more?

i take it youve not driven a ferrari then?

some people are keen on aesthetics some of those, shock horror, are even artists

not that i think its particularly good to look at... better than an xbone though ;-)
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    starting somewhere between £2,000- and £2,500 inc VAT, but potentially climbing up to £3,500 or more depending on the optional bells and whistles you go for.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/desktop-pc/3452029/mac-pro-release-date-specs-price/

I know it's a price speculation but 4108.65 Euro :poly122:

The Mac Pro also has a motion sensor - when you turn it around the I/O panel on the back lights up
    Ah now I get it :poly121:
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i take it youve not driven a ferrari then?
    And I take it you've not used a Mac. :P *RIMSHOT*
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    And I take it you've not used a Mac. :P *RIMSHOT*

Boom!

As far as I know the Mac Pro line's primary users have been video editors that need their 1k/2k/4k footage running nearly real time which can be a huge challenge. At work we use a large Dell machine with large graphics cards and fast ram as well as a raided 15k rpm harddrives and it still won't drive some of our composites in real time. So companies could be entitled to pay a premium in order to get hardware and a OS that they know that can handle it. 4k euroes is not much for a big workstation at a larger company, it doesn't have to save a compositor much time in order to pay it self back.

Flame artists use specialized computers that are MUCH more expensive then a Mac Pro or high-end Dell, Boxx and HP computers.

So I think it's important to look at the Mac Pro in the right perspective as a high-end workstation for video.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Instead of smack-talking one another on something as trivial as what vs. what, how about one of you clever chumps takes the plunge and actually tests out the final product and comes back with some results?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage