Home General Discussion

Investigation: A Video Game Studio From Hell

agk3d
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
agk3d polycounter lvl 7
Interesting article sent to me by a friend, it would be interesting to hear from any former or current employees at Trendy Entertainment.

http://kotaku.com/investigation-a-video-game-studio-from-hell-511872642

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Jason Schreier + Sensationalist article + "that said this" without followup sources = Wait and see if there is any real weight to the article.

Some of the stuff they're picking on are jokes that people made internally and making an entire paragraph out of them is really picking the strands.

So yeah, I'm really interested to either see someone post about it here, or do an AMA on Reddit.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    i`d rather read stories like this from an anonymous blog than this guy who thinks he`s an internet detective and savior of the gamesindustry
    Also spreading internal conversations is in really bad taste and unprofessional imo.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not understand why the person who sent him that skype conversation would not just come forward? Assuming that conversation is actually legit all Stieglitz has to do is look at his message log to figure out who it is.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I know people that know that guy, and this doesn't surprise me.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Jason Schreier + Sensationalist article + "that said this" without followup sources = Wait and see if there is any real weight to the article.

Some of the stuff they're picking on are jokes that people made internally and making an entire paragraph out of them is really picking the strands

games journalism is really great huh?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Huh that seems interes- Oh it's Kotaku, the Daily Mail of gaming "journalism".
    I'd rather not give their clickbait any clicks. I'm also surprised that Polycount is okay with links to Kotaku considering how shitty they were towards the site and it's users during the Brawl competition :/
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    Interesting... I applied at Trendy about a week ago.
    I didn't get it. Which might be a good thing now that I'm reading this.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RetroMike polycounter lvl 11
    Ugh, this article. I want to say it's a bunch of sensationalist journalism for the sake of clicks, but it also picks as me a bit because I'm currently interviewing with them.

I'd be working on my friends team there. He admits there are some issues but says his team doesn't operate like that and enjoys his work. I admit it has cast some doubt and given me pause for thought.

@poly_bob Wow didn't get the offer? I'm surprised, your work is nice.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I know people that know that guy, and this doesn't surprise me.

Ditto, for anyone casually dismissing this, you may want to look into UTV Ignition closing up shop back in 2011.
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    RetroMike wrote: »
    @poly_bob Wow didn't get the offer? I'm surprised, your work is nice.

Thanks Mike. I was told that my art style didn't fit their current project. Which is true. So I totally understand.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Ditto, for anyone casually dismissing this, you may want to look into UTV Ignition closing up shop back in 2011.

Same. I am friends with someone that worked with Jeremy and said that everything said on Kotaku is 100% true about his experience at Ignition.

My friend told me this Kotaku article is very, very accurate.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I don't really mind Kotaku. then again the Australian version of the site has a much better reputation. http://www.kotaku.com.au/
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mind Kotaku either, and as a matter of fact. I've worked at a studio that operates in the same fashion as this one describes.

Good on Kotaku on shedding light to studios that treat talent very absurdly. The developers of the games industry really needs to take a stand in leadership against these kinds of behaviors. Because too many loners that are getting hired that haven't had enough social interaction that find this acceptable because of it being "my first job" are in the need for a wake up call. This is not appropriate and professional one bit, and downright crule!

Trust me, no one wants to work full-time for people like this. I've been there done that, and done with it.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    There's a few former employees that posted in the comments. They have some interesting insight, and vouch for the article.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    even better if the robots are aged under 18 robot years

This is some comedy gold right here. I'm laughing and cringing at the same time.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    This is some comedy gold right here. I'm laughing and cringing at the same time.

It gets even more weird when you consider that robot years could be completely arbitrary.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    He looks like a total pussy.......no way I could last very long there
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'm all for correct journalism, but why defend/dismiss practices like this? All too often people tend to get upset at the whistleblowers, I remember the backlash against Zero Dean ages ago, I never understood that :(
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I'm all for correct journalism, but why defend/dismiss practices like this? All too often people tend to get upset at the whistleblowers, I remember the backlash against Zero Dean ages ago, I never understood that :(

^^This.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who is defending practices like this?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Xoliul wrote: »
    No one is defending it (the issue at the company at hand, if it is as bad as the article claims, which many peeps here are backing it up, then yes, change needs to happen).

However, Jason is known for rushing to write articles as soon as he can without any kind of updates on his articles or even source checking. He also has a poor understanding of the English language as far as journalistic baiting goes (not in terms of spelling, but he has the ability to use words and sentences in context's that don't make sense due to written meaning).

It also doesn't help that he occasionally represents another writers article as his own for, again, baiting. It doesn't help that he sometimes go out of his way to search for confrontation with people about his articles, and ends the discussion in a Jade's Trick (EI: "I said this and it's final in my article! I don't wish to discuss it any further! Hence I'm right").

If Kiff or Luke wrote the article, I would be less dismissive or hell, not at all about the article from the start.

Also, as a few PC'ers in here like EQ mentioned, there was some missing history about the company that they could have included in the article, lets face it, most companies make that kind of information to everyday layman hard to find, it's Kotaku's job to bring that information to light, not joke logs between 2 twats I never met that carry no real weight with the management of the office and the general atmosphere.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    if you Encounter a place like this, Run, it will do nothing for your career, you may even get set back, if you are forced to copy and not innovate and overworked you wont be able to keep your skills sharp and personal relationships and even health will suffer.

And if you do stick it out 2 years and your skills don't advance, your name is associated with a piece of shit company and your port looks the same as it did 2 years ago you are in a worse position to find a better company to work for.