Home General Discussion

Model sheet for environment?

tonberry
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
tonberry polycounter lvl 5
What does model sheet for environment look like? I found lots of T-pose character model sheets, but how should I draw model sheets for an out door environment? If I am building it modularly, do I need to draw "front" and "side" view of a chunk of rock that will be turned around and flipped sideways?

Replies

• Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, mostly.. you find environment concepts looking like these:

chronicles-spellborn-concept-art-environment-575x416.jpg

And I'm not sure who.. if it's the creative director/art director...? varies a bit from company to company I guess.. who decides how things should be split up, tiled and so on.. or the whole thing built as one piece.. And whether you then need separate concepts for the different parts.. or build a quick blockout which you checked tiled properly and have an artist build the desired piece matching said blockout..

Yada yada.. or you just have the artist build the whole environment by him/herself.

Thooough, usually.. when you're working on a personal project.. Then whichever suits you. And, build a blockout. Can always draw a top view of the whole environment itself too.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Like Adam said, it varies. In terms of breaking up the scene, check out the Monthly Noob Challenge threads in Pimping and Previews.

For a rock, which doesn't have to have a specific form so much as just "look right", a single, loose reference is all you need if that. In the piece Adam linked, you'd want details of important features like the podium, seats, and sconces. The ceiling wouldn't be crucial because you can pretty much see that from the wide shot of the initial concept. Basically if you can't see it well from your initial concept, do a detail sketch. If the concept artist doesn't do it, the modeler probably will anyway, just for a road map.
  • tonberry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tonberry polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks folks! Now I can feel easier just finishing up the concepts and move on to learning modeling!