Home Technical Talk

3D game portoflio environment, where to start?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mrlemonyfresh polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone.

I've been working at a small indie game studio for about 8 months now as a general artist and found that I enjoyed making game environments and I know what kind of environment I want to make, but I'm a bit indecisive as to how to go about doing it.

I want to make a low light, realistic, forested autumn environment with elements of exploration and progression. I also wish to have a little underground cavern to explore kind like 'dear esther' only much, much smaller. I love the idea of this environment that has a hidden and mysterious appeal so it's fun to uncover.

I love the idea of attaching a narrative to the environment in order to breath some life into it and make it more interesting to uncover.

My little piece of narrative is a little country alpine forgotten house where an old couple used to live and are now long dead. You play the role of a son returning to his parent's house to try to find how his grandfather disappeared. You find clues which point to your grandfather's body at the bottom of the well and that's the end of my narrative.

I know that might require scripting so if it is too much I would either drop the idea of having game states or ask my friend to help me out. But the least scripting the better

I thought of making it in unity 3d because that's the software we use at work and I'm sort of used to it at the moment. I know a few tricks like how to make running water and stuff like that work alright in unity. Although I've had really bad luck trying to get the vanilla lighting settings to look correct. Just getting the ambient light to look right is a huge hassle.

I thought of using UDK because I've used it for a couple of months in the past and things always seems to look nice in that software.
I am sort of familiar with matinee etc.

I thought about crytek just purely from the amount of speculation over the graphics and the quality that comes out of it.
Of course I've never really used this engine at all so...

I haven't really considered anything else just yet, but my goal is to be as employable as possible from some of the more established studios such as eidos. I guess I want just as much as the next (gazzilliounth?) guy to work at valve. I want to create something that has a beautiful crisp readability to it while still looking realistic.

Does anyone recommend a course of action for this goal?

Replies