Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Highpoly female Character for portfolio

Hello everyone I'm getting pretty close to graduating and am starting to pull together a portfolio. Any and all advice/critique is very much welcome just let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

celticashowcase2.jpg
finish1s.jpg
finish2.jpg
finish3i.jpg

What can I do to make this a better portfolio piece?

Replies

• DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    work on the anatomy some more. face needs better proportions.
  • PolyDom
    Anything specific about the face

finish4y.jpg
  • PolyDom
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Hair is really the one thing I would suggest people should almost always try to avoid making symmetrical. It rarely ever looks good or natural
  • parallel
    Offline / Send Message
    parallel polycounter lvl 3
    What race is she supposed to be of? It's kind of hard to tell with no reference to general idea of look you'd like to achieve. What strikes me is her eyes seem unnaturally wide open.
  • PolyDom
    She is just supposed to be a regular white woman, I really wasn't going for a specific look to her face but I'll go ahead and re-work her eyes.

for the hair being symmetrical is it really a big deal from an employers point of view? I will rework it and thanks for you're input, I'm just curious.
  • DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    of course its a big deal. u dont really see people walking around with symmetrical anything right>? and yea the eyes are popping out a lot and she has a bit of masculine look to her. maybe thin out the jaw a little bit, specially by the ear. do u have ur references?
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Some crits:
    Head
    Face needs work. Eye shape needs work and the depth of the eyes and the area surrounding the eyes. Work on getting those underlying bone structure/form first then go to smaller details. Forehead/hairline needs love. Jawline looks masculine. Lower lips look like they are sticking out rather than form from the lower jaw and out. Look at how other sculptors do the lips. Pay attention to the corners and how it "blends" with the jaw. You also need to look at references and get them right. Hair needs work, look at how other sculpt hair as well. Look at tutorials, for there are many.

Torso
    The slope of the shoulders look off. The belt is slung TOO low, looks like shes got a pot belly and not at the same time. The waist-to-hip shape is also off. Upper arm silhouette is lacking. Also folds, where are they? what material is it made out of? If we can't tell from the sculpt, maybe we should. You also had this too be too symmetrical. The bandana doesn't look natural inert; might want to fix that. Look at references or take pics yourself.

Lower body
    Guns look good, but needs more modeling. Not objects, but, rather, clean up the edging and hard surface forms. That belt is bothering me. No folds, wrinkles or big forms on the pants. I would say do lots of fold studies. I did that and it helped tremendously.

Overall
    Good start, but far from finished. Keep going. Might also want to change matcaps when sculpting. Good luck
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Spend more time on the face, and anatomy. get things flowing a bit more naturally and elegantly. Right now, you have a lot of busywork detail, but it won't distract an experienced art director away from the key areas, which is the face and anatomy flow.

Remember that the busy details, like all the cloth, the guns, and straps are all somewhat easy to do. What will really get you a job is spending the time to learn how to make really good looking faces and bodies underneath.
  • PolyDom
    Thank you all for your critiques I can't wait to get back to fixing her up (other school work n all)