Home General Discussion

demotivational thread

valuemeal
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
So tell me folks, what demotivates you?
There seem to be many motivational threads, but there isn't a single demotivational one.

The purpose of such a thread would be to figure out what causes us not to be motivated; so that we can be more motivated later on.

Things that demotivate me to vary, albeit I am a generally a motivated fellow:

1.When someone on the web says "You'll never do anything with that one, you have to make a certain type of fellow (happened often years ago, but not so much now)

2. Lack of positions for long periods of time makes me kinda weary

3. Being around stressful folks and unmotivated folks who distract one from doing things (I tend to distance myself if I see people are unproductive)

Wow, that really is just it for me, other than that I am almost always motivated to make new fellows

Replies

• Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9

Demotivational threads are a good start.....
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I was expecting some CG related de-motivational posters :(
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Kwramm wrote: »

As was I... but then again I am a curious fellow.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9

Same! I remember when they were all the rage.

Sooo, do I vent my personal troubles here or in a new thread? A lot of things Demotivate me.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Looking in my pants always demotivates me.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Constant layoffs in the industry. Under average pay. Playing games. Good weather outside.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Meat references.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not being able to find a job in the industry after 2 years, consistent layoffs and the current business model.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    nick2730 wrote: »
    not being able to find a job in the industry after 2 years

Sounds like it's time to turn your effort up to 11
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol it was at 11-12 for so long I've gotten far in interviews. Got a job now that i enjoy really debating if i want to throw myself into what the industry is turning into now. Or im just not cut out for the life, maybe try indie
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's really not that bad, there's just more sites reporting on industry happenings AND pessimism is "IN" right now.

sorry, I'll stop derailing the demotivational thread with my optimism.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha yea your ruining my negativity lol
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    TDLR:

Stress in a bitch.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    valuemeal wrote: »

polycount.com/forum

and no, it's not because of the art that's posted.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    when the amount of applications sent out > website visits in the last month

at the same time it motivates me to work harder
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm naturally self-centered, egotistical, and individualistic. I also have a considerable degree of talent and ingenuity. Ever since I realized just how far off my personal limits are, it has been much harder for me to become demotivated. When I start working on something, the chances of success are very high. It's usually never a matter of if, but when.

But I would echo Kbrom2's comment about applications. I never like being unemployed. While it doesn't demotivate me very much, it is mildly depressing, and casts a general pall over many activities that I would normally find a lot more enjoyable. I usually have lots of free time while unemplyed, and I usually get a lot done in that time. (in my most recent spat of down-time, I cleaned out my entire garage and re-assembled my arcade) But it does have a tendency to sour things.

Part of the reason why it doesn't affect my motivation very much is because constructive work is one of my best methods for dealing with depression. Keeping my hands busy helps to soothe me when I'm emotionally distressed.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    WAYWO. That or the amount of capitalist libertarians in charge of this industry. Justins's delusional optimism. :p The amount of noise for profit game education graduates make to shift through in applications.

Oh, and people who think Michael Bay makes good movies.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    WAYWO. That or the amount of capitalist libertarians in charge of this industry. Justins's delusional optimism. :p The amount of noise for profit game education graduates make to shift through in applications.

Oh, and people who think Michael Bay makes good movies.

I'm so delusional I'm buying a house!
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    racer445 demotivates me cause he da best mayng he deeed it he uses all tha long polygones

this thread sucks
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    ceebee wrote: »
    this thread sucks
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    redoing things because of crashes (and not saving frequently enough)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Getting told you haven't improved in the ~four years you've been at the company by someone you looked up to (and someone who was asking for your help on something just a few days prior) followed by the same person saying you're being let go...
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Ouch, that one hurt all the way over here man.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Getting told you haven't improved in the ~four years you've been at the company by someone you looked up to (and someone who was asking for your help on something just a few days prior) followed by the same person saying you're being let go...

Well if he asked for your help at all you can't have developed that little... sounds like he was just laying the foundation for firing you; maybe you were too pricey. Chin up! :thumbup:
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Not being able to do work in art/design field and get money after investing 10 years of my life including education related to art/design. Makes me just look at viewports of 3DS Max and cool artwork on Deviant Art. :/.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Well if he asked for your help at all you can't have developed that little... sounds like he was just laying the foundation for firing you; maybe you were too pricey. Chin up! :thumbup:

Happened about two years ago, pretty much killed most of my drive to work in games. Still kind of want to get back into it, but not seeing the opportunities (or interest) I used to. Best part was finding out from former coworkers a few months later the "real reasons" I was let go, which just made the fact he apparently lied to me even more of a letdown. Tried the 'start off on my own' / small game thing, but after having people flake on me repeatedly, not much hope in that happening either. After this much time, I'll keep an ear open, but not expecting much.

I'll say this much, stings a little less every time someone's willing to hear it, so hey, this is a pretty great thread.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh man, it stank of fake reasoning to me, and if you heard from others that this is the case, that's a good thing! Pity that you lost someone you look up to, but hey; no need to take it to the extent that you leave the industry. There's a fair few dicks in CG but lots of awesome people too. :)
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Having to work on a horrible laptop for the last 5 years and being only able to do so little.. I couldn't have gotten as far as I have if Zbrush wasn't a beast at handling them polys. When it lags, freezes then crashes from simple tasks I just sigh and take a nap.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    what depresses me is that there's too much stuff I'm interested in. I'd like to work on my rigging skills. I'd also like to work some more with Unity. Learn more about Unreal 4 :(
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    what depresses me is that there's too much stuff I'm interested in. I'd like to work on my rigging skills. I'd also like to work some more with Unity. Learn more about Unreal 4 :(

Yeah I hear that! Pretty much everything I do I got this thing in my head going on about all the other things I want to do, and they're all just as important to me as the last.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Good God guys you all lead this thread to the second page. lol Way to de-motivate yourself.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Last night i tried to give Rage on xbox a second chance only to be demotivated by it haha Textures that remained blurry and never popped to full res, a lot of repeating objects everywhere, only for the game to crash while running back and forth trying to get the textures to pop. It's even worse on PC, cuz pc doesn't even properly! I did not pay full price, but i still think i spent money on garbage. That demotivates me...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Happened about two years ago, pretty much killed most of my drive to work in games. Still kind of want to get back into it, but not seeing the opportunities (or interest) I used to. Best part was finding out from former coworkers a few months later the "real reasons" I was let go, which just made the fact he apparently lied to me even more of a letdown. Tried the 'start off on my own' / small game thing, but after having people flake on me repeatedly, not much hope in that happening either. After this much time, I'll keep an ear open, but not expecting much.

I'll say this much, stings a little less every time someone's willing to hear it, so hey, this is a pretty great thread.

James, dude. Post some art work. When I read your previous post I was curious to see what your work looked like, only problem is: I can't actually find any of your work. I found a thread of yours in pimping from like 2 years ago that had all the content removed. Whats up with that? Make a portfolio, post your work in pimping, you're not going to come across any opportunities if you're not putting yourself out there.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    James, dude. Post some art work. When I read your previous post I was curious to see what your work looked like, only problem is: I can't actually find any of your work. I found a thread of yours in pimping from like 2 years ago that had all the content removed. Whats up with that? Make a portfolio, post your work in pimping, you're not going to come across any opportunities if you're not putting yourself out there.

After that knockdown and not coming across any non-shit contract fx jobs for a while afterwards, I haven't done much of anything art wise since then. I've been messing around with getting a bunch of small / mobile game ideas I've had down on paper and trying to see if they'll go anywhere, but that's the 'folks have flaked' bit where attempts to get things rolling just grind to a halt. I pretty much lost all my drive to do art, but at least the design ideas kept me from flat out saying 'f workin on games'.

I am curious, though. Mind either linking or PM'ing the thread / post you're talking about? I don't recall removing any of my work from a thread (do know I started a sketch thread that went nowhere, but don't recall cutting stuff off it).
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Flaagan dont give up man, shit happens. I mean I got a call from one of the best companies in my country to work for them but guess what i already was moving to UK at that time and since that time I havent been able to secure a job in any CG industry either games or full high end Vray CG stuff. Still havent given up on it.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Pimping artwork just for it to get defaced.