Home General Discussion

[Thesis Research] Would you like to learn more about the production pipeline?

Hi Everyone!

I've been a lurker on Polycount forever and love this community but now it's time to participate in discussion and add to this wonderful site.

I’m a graduate student at SCAD studying Animation. I am beginning work on my masters thesis this quarter and I wanted to include you all in my research because I am developing tools and methods primarily for people like you!

My thesis is centered around the collaborative effort of talented people such as yourselves to produce an animated short film or game.

I intend to research and develop tool-sets and methodologies to aid a group of people to collaborate over the internet to establish a decentralized studio capable of taking a script or idea and seeing it through to completion.

I will be sharing my findings and research with all the communities I frequent, and I feel would benefit from. This is not for monetary gain and will remain open source.

The reason I’m posting here is to seek your opinions and gauge your interest.

I have a few very simple questions that would aid me greatly in the development of my thesis. I’d love it if you could answer them and ask any questions you have for me!
  • 1) Would you be interested in collaborating with people over the internet on larger projects?
  • 2) Do you currently have experience coordinating, communicating, and working with a production pipeline or similar workflow?
  • 3) Would you like to learn?
  • 4) Are you a: Hobbyist, Student, Independant Film Maker, or Professional?
  • 5) Which artistic school would you closely identify with? Concept/Previs, Model/Texture, Rigging, Lighting, VSFX, Compositing / Post-Production? (Or Other)
I also I developed a URL="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13A9Tfg49kXFVmEv4LiaiopRe4LCwMhgl8w8QO0mmbx8/viewform"]short survey[/URL intended for people currently in the industry, working at a studio. It just contains some simple questions regarding telecommuting. It should take 10 minutes to fill out, tops... If you’re bored, you have a job in the industry, and want to help further I'd appreciate 10 minutes of your day. :)

Thanks again for any information or discussion that results from this. Crowd sourcing opinions and discussion is (unfortunately) one of my primary research methods!