Home Unreal Engine

MIC on Actors and pawns

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
tuxmask75 polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys, It seems that Material instance actors don't work on (Actors and player pawns) placed in the levels. At least I can't get them to work by means of kismet, and Matinee.
Any help would be great!

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    huh? Does it work as a direct setup? Try it on a static mesh actor first, directly applying it the asset to make sure you got the process functioning.

I don't think you need to place an actual MIC actor itself in a level unless you need to do something like reference it within script/kismet. Otherwise you just use the MIC asset within the content browser and assign it either in the content browser on meshes or as an override by rightclicking>assign material (or something like that)

So, that said, are you looking to do kismet/script stuff to it?
  • tuxmask75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man, my material set up works fine with all other assets in the level, just not scripted actors and the player pawn itself. I didn't have to place a MIC Actor in the level for the static mesh to work.
    Also, Yeah, Im using just kismet for now, don't want to get into scripting this if I can help it.
  • tuxmask75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played around with it some more, still no luck.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    If I remember correctly, to do something more dynamic like this, if you're not going to do this entirely via script , then you have to place a specialized MIC actor in the level, wire the MIC actor to the chosen MIC in the content browser, then wire the object to the PLACED MIC actor, and then you can wire the kismet to that placed actor as well. I've never tried to replace the material live, only change properties on an existing MIC/mesh relationship. Also, It's been a LONG time since I've messed with this stuff, and I remember it was a bit brittle. I might be abbreviating the process too, since my memory sucks.

I'd try the whole thing out on a normal hohum static mesh--seeing if that works first.

Pawns and other special actors may have their materials set via script, which may override whatever you're trying to do. Additionally, if you're trying to mess with the PLAYER pawn, then you might be messing around with a material slot you can't even see--if I recall there's the visible 3rd person mesh and then also the arms-only mesh and an overlay mesh or something like that. goodluck!
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does it do anything? Or nothing at all? Does it work with a regular material?

If I set up my player with a keypress (I used 'k') and a set material (I used a flat green mic) when I hit 'k' my material changes on my player.

My player scripts all extend UT (pc, and pawn).

If I try this on a bot - it doesn't work. My Bot controller isn't using UT (extends off AIController).

I'm guessing the issue you have is the same as my bots?
    What is your pawn and controller derived from?

(Both my player, and bots change materials through script - they both had to be set up slightly differently because of what the controller is extending.)
  • tuxmask75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neavah wrote: »
    Does it do anything? Or nothing at all? Does it work with a regular material?

If I set up my player with a keypress (I used 'k') and a set material (I used a flat green mic) when I hit 'k' my material changes on my player.

My player scripts all extend UT (pc, and pawn).

If I try this on a bot - it doesn't work. My Bot controller isn't using UT (extends off AIController).

I'm guessing the issue you have is the same as my bots?
    What is your pawn and controller derived from?

(Both my player, and bots change materials through script - they both had to be set up slightly differently because of what the controller is extending.)

yeah could not get it to work .. this really sucks..
    Im not sure where the pawn and controller are derived from. I didn't set up the pawn. I'm Using the Sonic GDK game made with UDK if that helps.
  • JParkerRH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you checked the node you wish to change in the MaterialInstance? I can't tell ya how many times I've forgotten to do this before trying to manipulate a parameter's value via kismet/matinee/passing along to code, etc.

For example...I have a lightning flash parameter I use for a post processing effect, and gave the material parameter (in this case a scalar parameter) the name "lightningFlash." Default value of 0, and kismet kicks off a series of commands to changes it's value over time up to a value of 1. After I make the master, create a MaterialInstance Constant from it, I have to open up the new Material Instance and check/activate the "lightningFlash" scalar parameter node in there, else it can never have it's value changed during gameplay.

Attached a screenshot in case my babbling was incoherent!